Viofo A129

I placed an order through the viofo website but didn't get confirmation email or anything? Should I received at least an email saying the order went through? PayPal has taken the money.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Ordered one, been happy with my A119S and have been thinking of getting a rear cam so I will move the A119S to my wifes car and fit this to mine.

Wonder why VIOFO use an A129 on their promo page with 1440p 30 displayed on the screen?
It says full-HD 1080p .... so why would they do this ... unless it is 1440p as a single unit like the A119 and A119PRO?
Just wondering?

Scroll down to 2.0" HD Screen

Here ---> Presell A129 5GHz Wi-Fi Full HD Dash Camera

Last edited:
For those who don't want dual channel, there is a single channel version of the A129 coming soon (currently on presale at Viofo.com)

Presell A129 5GHz Wi-Fi Full HD Dash Camera

Hopefully they will sell a 2 channel upgrade package as well for people that want to upgrade in the future. I don't know why other companies don't do this.

Wonder why VIOFO use an A129 on their promo page with 1440p 30 displayed on the screen?
It says full-HD 1080p .... so why would they do this ... unless it is 1440p as a single unit like the A119 and A119PRO?
Just wondering?

(y) Will message Viofo about it!

Just wondering?

I assume it's a simple error. The A129 uses an IMX291 sensor so it cannot do 1440p video in single channel mode.

Has anyone compared this to the Street Guardian DC or can anyone do this?

As i recall the hardware are pretty much the same, in regard to firmware tweaking i even think its much of the same.
I have the DC myself but SG haven't really focused much on the image part of things, so far it have been updates regarding function and memory card compatibility.

But that i think are to a large degree done with so tweaking of the image will be next as what the DC run with now are pretty default settings,,,, and i think its the same with the vifo camera too.

As i recall the hardware are pretty much the same, in regard to firmware tweaking i even think its much of the same.
I have the DC myself but SG haven't really focused much on the image part of things, so far it have been updates regarding function and memory card compatibility.

But that i think are to a large degree done with so tweaking of the image will be next as what the DC run with now are pretty default settings,,,, and i think its the same with the vifo camera too.
The A129 rear view will be better as it has an IMX291 for both front and rear, it also means that the front and rear images are a better match when viewed in split screen, the IMX 323 image always looks a bit different to the IMX291 image, it has different dynamic range, produces slightly different colours and tends to show more false colour.

Thats right, i think SG would have went with the same if they hadent been too far along in the process, and i still feel the IMX 323 do a good enough job for the task back there.
But yeah 2 same sensors will be optimal, i am not even sure if future FW updates will be able to even out the current difference in image for 291 & 323 cameras.
I think i have mentioned elsewhere in here that i was unsure if a 291 sensor would be needed in the back camera, and i am still a little unsure of this, but i would not be able to tell more before i or someone else was able to do head to head tests of 2 such systems.

SG will probably go with same sensors with the DC - V2 and / or with the dual remote model, as i understand it its not really a price matter that made up for the cameras with 291 & 323.
From my perspective it would not be a matter of the rear sensor differ in a dual channel setup, i would be looking at other factors if i was holding 2 systems up against each other in a buying situation.

Currently i am most exited about dual remote cameras, as i feel this are the best way to go for dual or future quad cameras, and also since i can get creative at times with hardware a dual remote camera i could have the 1 camera in my DIY night vision goggle and the other camera on my rifle scope, and remove IR filters maybe add a B&W mode and throw in some IR light and i would be able to move around in darkness and shoot rats.
Or just use the goggle and IR emitter in not pest control situations , i would prefer to walk in the forest at night and not use my flashlights, even the more moderate light level flashlights that are not in danger of setting fire to the currently bone dry Danish forests.

If the 0906 hadent died on me i am sure by now it would be glued to my home made night vision goggle, maybe not as a permanent solution, but definitely something i would have to try with such surplus hardware.

EDIT : dual remote or quad remote also add other things, you can have a larger main unit and with that extra space you can do better cooling systems = higher bitrates / better temperature resistance in parking guard mode.
And not least you will be able to add a more bulky storage solution like a M2 or SSD harddrive.
So cameras with a remote head unit are IMO the direction to go.

Last edited:
Currently i am most exited about dual remote cameras, as i feel this are the best way to go for dual or future quad cameras, and also since i can get creative at times with hardware a dual remote camera i could have the 1 camera in my DIY night vision goggle and the other camera on my rifle scope, and remove IR filters maybe add a B&W mode and throw in some IR light and i would be able to move around in darkness and shoot rats.
Only dual channel? You should be more ambitious, Arm have just released details on their latest processor for mobile devices - it can encode 16 1080 video channels @ 60fps, should be enough for most people!

https://community.arm.com/graphics/b/blog/posts/mali-v76-enabling-efficient-8k60-content

Yeah i read that yesterday i think it was, pretty darn sweet.

Now we just need a brave dashcam maker to throw away the usual SOC solutions and go for something completely new.
I assume this also open up programming even more and so you could really get smart with your dashcam.

New AMD chips also have decode / encode powers that could be interesting, but you really have to go outside the usual AMBA of NTK way of thinking.

The new Nvidia issac platform also nice, add a handfull of cameras to it and a car and a steering servo on your steering wheel and suddenly all you have to do is man the pedals.
http://hexus.net/tech/news/industry/118790-nvidia-isaac-platform-powered-jetson-xavier-announced/

Now we just need a brave dashcam maker to throw away the usual SOC solutions and go for something completely new.
I assume this also open up programming even more and so you could really get smart with your dashcam.
No, the way it works is for Novatek to build the Arm core inside their next SOC, then it is just a small upgrade for the dashcam makers. Four 4K external cameras instead of the current 2 FHD cameras.

Edit: We will also need some bigger memory cards!

Damn ARM cores find their way into everything :) i remember when ARM was all new, and i was thinking so wat where i should have snagged up shares like a SOB.

So I've set my order through and ordered the CPL filter (though at the time there was no warning about it being incompatible with the A129. Does anyone know if the current CPL filter is compatible with the rear camera at least?

Also any news on when a CPL filter for front and rear will be available for the A129 as well as the BT remote?

So I've set my order through and ordered the CPL filter (though at the time there was no warning about it being incompatible with the A129. Does anyone know if the current CPL filter is compatible with the rear camera at least?

Also any news on when a CPL filter for front and rear will be available for the A129 as well as the BT remote?

My assumption would be the current CPL filter would fit the front and rear of the A129. Looks like it should fit. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a129-duo.34276/#post-405795

Unsure of the Bluetooth remote. But the Amazon page for it does verify it's not included. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07CT6JPYW

Last edited:

Same CPL filter as the A119 series.

Back