Viofo A129

What file, where? You lost me.
I was responding to DashBoat who wanted to transfer the recorded video files from the A129 camera onto his server automatically via Wi-Fi, and I'm fairly sure he understood my answer. Since you don't have the camera and I don't know your technical ability it is hard to answer your question other than to restate that the A129 has an HTTP server which will provide the recorded video files on request via the Wi-Fi network...

Found one small problem with the mount which was down to my silly mistake really. I removed the SD card to check how the picture looked on my PC, when I went to reinsert the SD card I slid it in and went to push it home and the camera went shooting off the mount. Never thought about it as I had done this lots of times on my A119S but it's mount slides up and down rather than left and right. If you need to remove or reinsert the SD card make sure you either keep a good hold of the camera or remove the camera from the mount.
I found that too, one answer is to take the camera into the house and plug it into the computer instead of just taking the memory card and using a card reader, less chance of loosing the memory card down the side of the car seats that way! Also makes it easy to put the camera back, when putting just the card back I have to sit in the passenger seat while trying to click it into place without it springing back out and disappearing.

If you need to remove or reinsert the SD card make sure you either keep a good hold of the camera or remove the camera from the mount.
That's a good recommendation. @viofo it would be better if the camera slides off the mount in the opposite direction to inserting the microSD card

I found that too, one answer is to take the camera into the house and plug it into the computer instead of just taking the memory card and using a card reader, less chance of loosing the memory card down the side of the car seats that way! Also makes it easy to put the camera back, when putting just the card back I have to sit in the passenger seat while trying to click it into place without it springing back out and disappearing.
I don't like removing the camera too often. It's easy to knock the lens alignment or get fingerprints / scratches on the lens. However I have launched a few microSD cards, usually when trying to insert them. It does seem easier to insert a card into the A129 than the A119.

That's a good recommendation. @viofo it would be better if the camera slides off the mount in the opposite direction to inserting the microSD card

Agreed sliding in the opposite direction would be better in my opinion. Still think up and down was best, it maybe stopped you being able to put the camera right at the very top of the windscreen but there was little chance of knocking the camera off by accident. Making the mount slide side to side means you're either pushing against the mount when inserting the SIM card, or in the other direction by inserting the power or rear camera cables.

I always removed the SIM card from the A119S rather than removing the camera as I thought removing the camera repeatedly would slacken the mount over time and lead to movement/vibration on recordings.

A couple of CONs for this approach I could see: 1) camera is a very slow as a card reader (I use to backup videos massively and that would take too much time if not using at least USB-3 card reader) and 2) how long will plastic lock last (and contacts) before it will start to show somehow...

Anyway I can not yet afford leaving my A119S mounted when leaving car - very little dotted shield on windscreen makes it visible and attractive to certain persons.

Attachments

• 2018-06-03 14-01-42.JPG
    2018-06-03 14-01-42.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 51
So I got my a129 the other day and I've been comparing it to my A119s, although the picture is smoother with the a129 there appears more detail in the A119s video but it also has more noise

Top is a119s, bottom a129
0ccc131e8a80ac50ae1f49e3564286d9.jpg
010186550e8f6ea5e99beadad2c540c7.jpg

Here is the video sample

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
what is the best Brand and Capacity Micro SD card to use with the Viofo A129 and is compatible and will last long? Thank you.

Look at Transcend & SanDisk high endurance cards. You want "MLC Nand Flash" cards. Chek the specs and if it does not specify its a MLC, it's probably not.

The top A119s video has a little more clarity than the bottom A129 ... only there's not much in it, imho.

what is the best Brand and Capacity Micro SD card to use with the Viofo A129 and is compatible and will last long? Thank you.
I'm using a Samsung Evo 128GB and it has worked perfectly so far. You are probably better off with a normal card 2x the capacity than a "high endurance" card at 1x the capacity. 2x the capacity should last twice as long and will keep the video for twice as long before overwriting.

64GB is probably a bit small for the A129 since it is recording two video streams, for most people 128GB will be enough, no harm in going higher but currently you will pay more per GB to do so which might mean that 2 cards that you swap occasionally would be better value. You should have a second card available even if only a small one so that important events can be kept safe from overwriting by removing the card from the camera.

The top A119s video has a little more clarity than the bottom A129 ... only there's not much in it, imho.
And it would be different in different lighting conditions. At night they are limited by the sensor and since they have the same sensor there wont be much difference. Depending on lighting they may chose different ISO/exposure compromises so sometimes one will be better than the other.

You say little... I'm very disappointed about the image clarity of Viofo. A119 PRO worse than A119s, which is worse thena A119. And now, with A129 Duo, the worse of all... Only hope that the next firmware updates will improve that, but I don't think my hope is a reasonable one... This is the wrong direction, the image clarity must be improved, not destroyed. We don't make cinema movies, we need details in terrible moments.

I am getting some interference with my DAB radio since adding the A129 in the car. I have heard of this type of thing before, can't remember where. Any suggestions lads?

I don't use the DAB all the time, but it's one of the bluetooth radios that powers from 12V too, and automatically answers my mobile phone via the radio speakers so it has its uses.

I can get by without it (but that means leaving the phone in my pocket so I can't answer any calls without parking up.

I am getting some interference with my DAB radio since adding the A129 in the car. I have heard of this type of thing before, can't remember where. Any suggestions lads?

I don't use the DAB all the time, but it's one of the bluetooth radios that powers from 12V too, and automatically answers my mobile phone via the radio speakers so it has its uses.

I can get by without it (but that means leaving the phone in my pocket so I can't answer any calls without parking up.
You need to keep the power cable away from the radio antenna cable, same applies to single channel dashcams.

Also you need to keep the cable to the rear camera away from the radio antenna cable and any antenna amplifier that may be mounted in the roof near the rear window or as part of the shark-fin antenna if you have one.

If you've already done that, next thing to check is if you still have the interference if used as front only with the rear unplugged...

Techmoan mentioned such interference

That's where I saw it. Cheers for the reminder.

Still not solved the issue - and as I say, like Techmoan, I'm happy to live with it because its not always used, but one would hope that somewhere, somebody might come up with a viable workaround.

You need to keep the power cable away from the radio antenna cable, same applies to single channel dashcams.

Also you need to keep the cable to the rear camera away from the radio antenna cable and any antenna amplifier that may be mounted in the roof near the rear window or as part of the shark-fin antenna if you have one.

If you've already done that, next thing to check is if you still have the interference if used as front only with the rear unplugged...

I'll see if I can re-route the power cable. Antenna is on top left passenger side of the windscreen where all the power cables run to the A-Pillar. The rear cam cable is all across on the drivers side so that is away from everything.

That's where I saw it. Cheers for the reminder.

Still not solved the issue - and as I say, like Techmoan, I'm happy to live with it because its not always used, but one would hope that somewhere, somebody might come up with a viable workaround.

I'll see if I can re-route the power cable. Antenna is on top left passenger side of the windscreen where all the power cables run to the A-Pillar. The rear cam cable is all across on the drivers side so that is away from everything.
Running the power cable up the same A-Pillar as the radio antenna is always bad for reception, single or dual camera. Often more noticeable on LW than DAB since DAB being digital tends to either work or not work, unless it is right on the limit.

Not sure if you are saying you have a windscreen antenna or a roof aerial? For the best radio reception you want a roof aerial, one designed for DAB if that is what you listen to, but it is still best to run the power cables down the opposite A-Pillar.

It's a windscreen stick on jobbie. Bit of copper attaches to metal of the car and wire on sticky backed plastic to the glass.

Tried the power lead a way from, no success. Will see if I can relocate the antenna.

The on glass DAB antennas aren't the strongest for reception at the best of times

I know. My car is old so it's the easiest option. Was spot on until the rear cam went in.

Back