Viofo A129

Not as small as I thought it would be, but small enough I guess.
It's smaller than the mini 0906 RC which is quite a nice size.

You don't want it small and delicate when you hit it because someone has just annoyed you by doing something dangerous!

I still think it looks like it should have been red!

is the cellink a Lith-ion battery pack? Aren't battery packs not good to leave in a high temp over 40c and the car can get over 40c in summer. why would the cellink battery pack and the B-124 blackvue battery pack be OK to leave in a hot car but an Anker battery pack is dangerous? and what about the battery-packs that jump start a car made by Anker and others it has lit-ion battery and is OK to store in the HOT car for jumping purposes.. but a plain lit-ion Anker 26800mAh is dangerous over 40c as well as a cellphone as well. I wouldnd think the cellink and blackvue 124 are even more dangerous cause they are attached to the car battery but an regular tanker 26800mAh pack is not connected to car battery should be less dangerous just to use for parking mode wouldn't it be just as safe?
It's Lithium Iron rather than Lithium Ion! As are the jump start batteries.

The real reason for using the Cellink and similar is the much faster charge times, 40 minutes instead of ~10 hours for a similar size USB battery pack, so that you don't have to drive for 10 hours a day just to keep it charged. However that is not actually a result of the different chemistry, just that it is not charged through a USB cable only capable of providing 10 Watts.

For most people, it is best not to mount it too high or the wiper wont reach to clear the rain on the outside and the heater wont reach to clear the mist on the inside...

I actually have my rear camera above the top heater element, and so it do take a little longer before that area are cleared as it is only the top element that clear dew above it, wiper also have full coverage up there.

is the cellink a Lith-ion battery pack? Aren't battery packs not good to leave in a high temp over 40c and the car can get over 40c in summer. why would the cellink battery pack and the B-124 blackvue battery pack be OK to leave in a hot car but an Anker battery pack is dangerous? and what about the battery-packs that jump start a car made by Anker and others it has lit-ion battery and is OK to store in the HOT car for jumping purposes.. but a plain lit-ion Anker 26800mAh is dangerous over 40c as well as a cellphone as well. I wouldnd think the cellink and blackvue 124 are even more dangerous cause they are attached to the car battery but an regular tanker 26800mAh pack is not connected to car battery should be less dangerous just to use for parking mode wouldn't it be just as safe?

The Cellink and BlackVue are LifePO4, which I believe are more stable. They are designed for use in a car, they have thermal cutoffs and can be charged\discharged at the same time safely. They should be mounted out of the sun, like under the seat or something.

I just ordered mine..Have been waiting for a dual camera for a while and I think this is the best choice for me!
Hoping to learn from you guys as well.

Nigel that looks good to me and the ideal size. Waiting for @viofo for mine - I would have used it at least twice already!

What colour is the 3M mounting tape on the A129? I'm hoping its black?

Thanks for sharing the pics and quick vid Tony. Once these along with the new revised CPL for the A129 pop up on Amazon in the US, I'll grab once of each. Maybe it's a good thing that I've never personally needed to lock a file as nothing interesting has happened around me to capture but should I need to this simple thing will make the process that much quicker/easier.

Also, real quick, I mentioned this in a different A129 thread but for those running their A129 off a battery pack such as the Cellink Neo, make sure you turn off WiFi when it is not needed. I installed my A129 yesterday and noticed the Cellink app shows a decent amount of less runtime with WiFi on and a fully charged pack. It displayed approximately ~20 hours with WiFi off and ~15 hours with WiFi on.
are you happy with how the cellink Neo is working with the Viofo A129? Do you know if the Cellink Neo will work well with the A129 using the Cigarette Lighter method of installation? Thanks

are you happy with how the cellink Neo is working with the Viofo A129? Do you know if the Cellink Neo will work well with the A129 using the Cigarette Lighter method of installation? Thanks
Cellink Neo works fine with the A129. What is bothering me right now with the Cellink Neo is the new extra battery pack that can be added to the Neo to extend how long it powers cameras. Blackboxmycar finally got the packs in but they say if you have old firmware you need to send the entire main unit to them to be updated and then they ship it with the extended pack back to you. First, on iPhone X you can't see the firmware version when checking for it using the app. I got one of the first units when they came out from BBMC so I'm guessing I need it updated but I cannot confirm. Secondly, sending them my pack leaves me with no battery power for quite a while and this is a time of year when I'm taking weekend road trips every weekend so I need the Neo, but I also need the extra battery pack, lol. I'll have to call @BlackboxMyCar to see what we can do and if they have any ideas. Maybe they can send a new Neo and extended pack and I'll send mine back once they arrive so I have no down time.

Anyways, the Neo works great and powers the cam overnight if fully charged. My problem becomes on vacation if you don't use the car a whole lot on a specific day, it'll run out at night. That's the main reason I want the extra pack. I didn't fully time how long it stays powered (A129) on a full charge but the apps estimate of 20 hours does seem right, maybe an hour less. One thing to remember is if you don't actively need wifi turned on on the A129, turn it off because the Neo lasts about 5 hours less if it is powering the a129 while wifi is on.

Edit: I must apologize, in all that I didn’t answer the cigarette lighter question. I have mine powered from a cigarette lighter and it works fine. A full charge from empty takes just a little bit over an hour of the vehicle running. It may be me but it seems to charge faster at the beginning and once it hits a certain percentage, it charges a bit slower towards the end. It charges at 5 amps from the cigarette lighter instead of 9 amps if one was to hardware it. I don’t want to mess around in my fuse panel and honestly, looking at the charge time chart I don’t think it’d help me a whole bunch charging a little bit faster.

Last edited:
Solar charger?
I have everything ran so the install is ultra clean, nothing can be seen so I wouldn’t want to have a panel set up somewhere. Also, I have an 18’ Escalade so i’m really trying to keep everything looking inconspicuous, lol, I don’t want a solar panel thrown up somewhere. I’m not even sure how large a panel would be needed to keep the charge level in sunlight.

Easiest solution is the new expansion pack available for the Neo but needing to send your neo in for a firmware update to make it work with the expansion pack is a complete p.i.t.a.

not sure a solar charger would be of any use regardless, the product is not designed to be charged while in use

Buy another battery and put on a timer.

Ebay had a 10% off coupon today, so I picked up the A129. Anyone use this in a Ford F150 SuperCrew and have it hardwired? I'm not sure exactly which hardwired kit I should be using for the parking mode.

I'm not sure exactly which hardwired kit I should be using for the parking mode.

the one they haven't released yet, that's maybe why you're not sure which one you should be using ;)

perhaps just use the cig power in the interim, from what I understand the power lead is not far off

I was testing my A129 before installation last nite, and looked through the Viofo app menu on my iPhone as well as the A129 Unit Menu and can not figure out how to change the WIFI Password from 12345678 to something else... can someone describe to me how to change the password, its not in the instruction manual. I must be missing something, or its not changeable? thanks

I was testing my A129 before installation last nite, and looked through the Viofo app menu on my iPhone as well as the A129 Unit Menu and can not figure out how to change the WIFI Password from 12345678 to something else... can someone describe to me how to change the password, its not in the instruction manual. I must be missing something, or its not changeable? thanks

someone mentioned having to do it through the app, did you try that?

Back