VIOFO A139 Pro - Testing / Review Info

I doubt we will see that kind of night vision implemented in a dash cam any time soon,
I wonder how well these night vision cameras cope with bright lights, number plate reflections etc?

Last edited:
Hello TonyM.

TonyM: I wonder how well these night vision cameras cope with bright lights, number plate reflections etc?

Some `driving through the outskirts of town´-videos suggest no contrast-leveling functions at work, just focused on raw low light-power.

I wonder how well these night vision cameras cope with bright lights, number plate reflections etc?

This is very impressive sensor technology. Like traditional night vision, it can be overwhelmed by bright light to the point of completely blowing out all detail, but unlike typical military night vision which uses opto-electronic vacuum tube image intensifiers which can be damaged in bright lighting conditions, the SIONYX OPSIN uses a solid state XQE-1350 digital sensor which can not only tolerate bright lights, it can be used during daylight hours according to the company's promotional materials. Maybe one day we will see some form of this sensor technology incorporated into dash cams?

Last edited:
Some `driving through the outskirts of town´-videos suggest no contrast-leveling functions at work, just focused on raw low

I came across a video that demonstrated how you can adjust the EV settings and make other imaging adjustments on the fly to tone down blown out bright highlights in the OPSIN. I can't seem to locate the video I watched late last night but I'll see if I can find the link. In any case, exposure, contrast and dynamic range functions exist on the camera but they are apparently manually adjusted.

If you have decided the VIOFO A139 Pro dash camera meets your dash camera needs, please remember I have a VIOFO discount code that will save you an additional $20 USD off of your purchase price. The discount code is valid until 10-Mar-2023. You can check out my blog post on my company website for the info related to that discount code.

VIOFO A139 Pro 1CH/2CH/3CH 4K UHD – First to market using Sony STARVIS 2 (IMX678) Image Sensor
According to the Viofo web site this discount has expired.

Attachments

• image_2023-03-10_124100344.png
    image_2023-03-10_124100344.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 8
According to the Viofo web site this discount has expired.
It was valid until 10-Mar-2023. It depends on which time zone the website is using to validate the discount code with. It's 11-Mar-2023 in China (GMT+8), but the IP address for www.viofo.com is based in Philadelphia, PA. I'll ask VIOFO if they can extend the discount code again.

Last edited:
Pehaps the discount code has expired due to the "Spring Sale" Viofo just announced today? You can get $30 off the price of the A139 Pro rather than $20 from the discount code.

From IWA in Germany i saw some cool new dot sights, with thermal on top from holosun.
So you could use them as strait up thermal or as a 50/50 thermal and regular sight.

Instantly got thinking " i need a long gun, and one of these sights "

It was valid until 10-Mar-2023. It depends on which time zone the website is using to validate the discount code with. It's 11-Mar-2023 in China (GMT+8), but the IP address for www.viofo.com is based in Philadelphia, PA. I'll ask VIOFO if they can extend the discount code again.
I forgot that China is 13 hrs ahead of Eastern Time Zone and it would be March 11, 2023. Thanks for reminding me.

Pehaps the discount code has expired due to the "Spring Sale" Viofo just announced today? You can get $30 off the price of the A139 Pro rather than $20 from the discount code.

The $30. off has been up on their site for several weeks. I was trying to make it an additional $20. with the the promo code.

Lady at checkout saying " i have some coupons " and proceed to whip out a shoe box filled to the brim. :eek:

I am happy that are not a sale avenue that is used in Denmark, even if you can get two trolleys filled to the brim for 8 dollars.

From IWA in Germany i saw some cool new dot sights, with thermal on top from holosun.
So you could use them as strait up thermal or as a 50/50 thermal and regular sight.

Instantly got thinking " i need a long gun, and one of these sights "

I saw this at the shot show in the US. Holosun does some cool stuff, this included.

The $30. off has been up on their site for several weeks. I was trying to make it an additional $20. with the the promo code.
VIOFO has extended my discount code for $20 USD off of the purchase price of a VIOFO A139 Pro dash camera until 31-Dec-2023. I just tested the discount code and it takes an additional $20 USD off of the current $30 USD discount for their Spring Sale.

1678771820518.png

Link to my company website blog post with the discount code info: VIOFO A139 Pro 1CH/2CH/3CH 4K UHD – First to market using Sony STARVIS 2 (IMX678) Image Sensor

It didn't help

HDR off didn't change it either.

So, it's broken. :sneaky:

It didn't help

HDR off didn't change it either.

So, it's broken. :sneaky:

It still might be a firmware bug - Wait for the next firmware before starting an RMA. Viofo reproduced and fixed a pixelation bug I reported to them (they said it happens when going from light to dark while 2K 60 fps). I tested the beta firmware (V1.1_0314) with their fix and confirmed it solved my pixelation issue.

Last edited:
Maybe yes, but so far the firmware has not solved it (i tried the last 3). And others on the Internet do not have this problem.

Back