VIOFO A229 Pro FIRMWARE

21:9 video resolution improve video quality, experienced testers assure me, and I have no reason not to believe them.
The security of the DVR is not affected by any functions. He is always safe. ;)

Those who want to try the FWA229P_V1.3_240612 and EthсamTxFW_V1.3_240605 firmware can download them below.

When flashing the A229 Pro with the new firmware FWA229P_V1.3_240612 and EthсamTxFW_V1.3_240605,
if you put both files on one memory card, then both cameras are flashed one by one.

Last edited:
Those who want to try the FWA229P_V1.3_240612 and EthсamTxFW_V1.3_240605 firmware can download them below.

When flashing the A229 Pro with the new firmware FWA229P_V1.3_240612 and EthсamTxFW_V1.3_240605,
if you put both files on one memory card, then both cameras are flashed one by one.

What is the change for these?

Paul.

hi @Karagandinez , can you please clarify what is EthсamTxFW_V1.3_240605 for? is for the rear camera in A229 Pro? (the file name is very different from usual)

hi @Karagandinez , can you please clarify what is EthсamTxFW_V1.3_240605 for? is for the rear camera in A229 Pro? (the file name is very different from usual)
The EthcamTxFW.bin is for A229 Pro and Plus rear cam, please make sure the firmware name is exactly the same as EthcamTxFW.bin.
And if you update the front cam, please also update the rear cam.

Thank you VIOFO! My bad, earlier in the threads rear camera FW does appear as Ethcam.
Here are my observations:
- formatted Viofo factory 32GB microSD, copied both FW binaries. Only front camera got updated and and asked to format memory card (which I did)
- after reboot, some of the settings were still there, some were gone. Re-did the settings, and then flashed the read camera
- Success: both cameras are now updated!
- Reset the cameras, and re-did the settings using my iPhone
-
all works so far, but did not drive/did not check actual operation (it 11pm here)

Started getting frustrated about not seeing 21:9 aspect ratio, and then I remembered that people on Beta FW thread mentioned that some settings only available on the device itself.
Problem: after setting front camera to 4K 21:9 / 2K, connecting the phone app crashes the app itself!
-
After boot, enable wifi (I use voice and it works well!)
- Connect iPhone to Viofo. Viofo voice prompt confirms the connection.
- Start the app and try to connect to the phone; at the attempt to what I think is to load 21:9 video from the front, the app itself crashes

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17.5.1, VIOFO App version 4.2.2

VIOFO team - when is the updated iPhone app is going to be released? I suspect that my phone is crashing as it is not expecting 21:9 video... thoguhts?

the filename is the name of the ZIP archive. when you extract the actual file inside it, the filename of the binary is named EthcamTxFW.bin

Here are my observations:
- formatted Viofo factory 32GB microSD, copied both FW binaries. Only front camera got updated and and asked to format memory card (which I did)
Yesterday I flashed A229 Pro 2CH.
The firmware was updated from one memory card with the FWA229P and EthсamTxFW firmware files located on it.
When the A229 Pro was turned on, the firmware of the front camera began. After flashing the A229 Pro firmware,
it restarted and the firmware was transferred to the rear camera. After that, the rear camera was updated and the A229 Pro restarted.
After that, I did a factory reset and set the settings I needed.
A few hours later I updated the A229 Plus 2CH in the same way.

The main cameras on both models were updated from V1.3_240516 to V1.3_240612.
Rear cameras respectively from V1.3_240514 to V1.3_240605.

Last edited:
Bug fixed for previous 1.3 beta version.
Which mistakes?
All errors remained as they were, 5 seconds, the video recording disappears, and at a speed of 60 km/h it will be 80 meters not included in the recording, how can we prove later what happened during these 5 seconds?
The exposure was corrected a little, but they cheated, it just went into minus, but they corrected it in the menu, that’s the whole solution, it could be better, did you add code for the new camera?:)

Attachments

• OR_OR.jpg
    OR_OR.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 18
  • N_OR_MOD.jpg
    N_OR_MOD.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Yesterday I flashed A229 Pro 2CH.
The firmware was updated from one memory card with the FWA229P and EthсamTxFW firmware files located on it.
When the A229 Pro was turned on, the firmware of the front camera began. After flashing the A229 Pro firmware,
it restarted and the firmware was transferred to the rear camera. After that, the rear camera was updated and the A229 Pro restarted.
After that, I did a factory reset and set the settings I needed.
A few hours later I updated the A229 Plus 2CH in the same way.

The main cameras on both models were updated from V1.3_240516 to V1.3_240612.
Rear cameras respectively from V1.3_240514 to V1.3_240605.
That's what I was expecting on mine - update front camera first, then the rear. It rebooted, but never started rear camera update. Not until I copied the file on memory card.

P.S. @Toxic - thanks, of course I extracted the firmware file from the archive :)

Can anyone connect to the dashcam using iPhone after updating the FW and changing aspect ratio to 21:9?

Last edited:
Thank you @LateralNW ! I started suspecting that the currently released iOS app has a bug/limitation - the modes are hardcoded and when dashcam reports a resolution that is not listed in the current iOS app, the app crashes. Well, app should not crash (that's a bug), but Viofo absolutely should release an updated iOS application ahead of FW 1.3 official release

Viofo team - any ETA on iOS app release? Many thanks in advance :)

Back