VIOFO's A119S

What I like and don’t after having the A119S mounted in my car for the past year.

Video quality is good, both day and night, exceptional low-light performance. Be it low-light or complete darkness, the IMX291 sees a lot more than any other sensor currently being housed in dash cams.

Wedge design - As mostly just the lens is visible below the windshield's dotted area, looks very discreet when compared to dash cams that hang off a suction cup mount or similar adhesive mounts.

Lens adjustment mechanism has held up well. Even though it feels a little loose to the touch, doesn’t droop on its own.

Don’t like

Reliability was a miss, mainly due to the X-boxes bug (twice during May and then in June and November). Three firmware revisions later, version 2.2 released a month back claims to have finally squashed this long standing bug.

Audio - Conversations, ticking from the indicator and even sounds from outside the car are loud and clear but there’s a constant buzz/hiss that accompanies the audio. Most common suggestions are to power it using a wall charger or a power bank and see if the issue persists (a pointless test as the camera is not going to be used with a power bank or plugged into a wall charger). Point is, if my SG9665GC can remain immune to such interference while using the same power supply and cables, I think this could definitely be improved upon.

Erratic behaviour when powered using 3rd party USB cables - Again, Mini-USB cables from Monoprice that work flawlessly with my other dash cams (SG9665GC, Mobius and A119) caused intermittent file and firmware corruption with the A119S.

Nitpicking

I know it’s not an action cam but nonetheless, red orange and yellow looks oversaturated.

Suggestions

Better quality control - Foreign objects embedded on the lens, improper alignment of the SD card slot, red light leaking through the lens housing and below the Record button (on my recently bought A119 V2), takes away from the feel-good factor.

Inclusion of angled wedge fillers for the mount, like the ones included with one of the Mini models. A comparatively narrow FOV doesn’t allow a centred view; if the camera is not actually mounted exactly in the centre.

As much as they are already, IMO VIOFO’s representatives need to be a little more participative and communicative.

Would I recommend the A119S?

If I don’t see the X-boxes or screen corruption for another 6 months, then yes, a definite yes.

------

Going forth I plan on using the A119S mostly as a rear camera. Will keep adding videos as new firmware revisions with IQ changes/enhancements are released.

------

Fairly discreet as a rear camera too, obviously depends on how and where it’s mounted. I was quite apprehensive about the camera being visible through the rear windshield, not as noticeable as I’d initially thought. On reviewing footage I’ve noticed a few people looking at the camera but nothing more than a glance. With mostly just the lens visible to the passing eye, probably looks like an unconventional reversing-camera mounted behind the windscreen.

A119S and Mobius 2

Reared.png

Rear1.png

Rear2.png

rear3.png

rear2.png

rear1.png

Opening post updated.

Last edited:
"again, Mini-USB cables from Monoprice that work flawlessly with my other dash cams (SG9665GC, Mobius and A119)"
Did you compare power demand btw A119 and A119S?

@Harsh, From my experience buzzing and other unwanted audio noises in dash cam recordings usually result from the camera or the memory card not receiving enough current. Sometimes switching to another brand or type of MicroSD card can eliminate the problem.

I learned that different memory cards may cause buzzing noises on dash cam audio through trial and error but later discovered that even the Mobius 1 user Manual mentions this issue: "You should always use cards from well known brands. Low quality and no-name cards, as well as some class 2 (or less) cards, may draw more than 20mA current than quality cards. This can result in unwanted electrical noise such as clicks, chirps, hum and buzzing in the audio recording. Fast cards, class 10 and above, even from well-know brands can also produce unwanted electrical noise so should be avoided." (Most Class 10 cards are no problem in my experience, it's more brand/type related or some other individual quirk.)

I had one camera (mini-0806) that only experienced a buzzing sound (pulsating) with a long run of Monoprice cable but never with shorter cables. One option that may be worth trying is using the heavier gauge 24/28 AWG USB-A to Mini-B cable from Monoprice rather than the standard 28/28 AWG cables. This cable has an integral ferrite bead that can also help eliminate or reduce electrical noises. It also has gold plated connectors which helps improve electrical contact and minimizes oxidation and corrosion. The 24/28 AWG cables are much thicker than the standard cables but I recently installed one leading to my rear facing Mobius and it was much more flexible and easier to work with than I was expecting.

Finally, a higher current output 12V cigar lighter charger may also be helpful.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5447&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:
@Harsh, From my experience buzzing and other unwanted audio noises in dash cam recordings usually result from the camera or the memory card not receiving enough current. Sometimes switching to another brand or type of MicroSD card can eliminate the problem.

I learned that different memory cards may cause buzzing noises on dash cam audio through trial and error but later discovered that even the Mobius 1 user Manual mentions this issue: "You should always use cards from well known brands. Low quality and no-name cards, as well as some class 2 (or less) cards, may draw more than 20mA current than quality cards. This can result in unwanted electrical noise such as clicks, chirps, hum and buzzing in the audio recording. Fast cards, class 10 and above, even from well-know brands can also produce unwanted electrical noise so should be avoided." (Most Class 10 cards are no problem in my experience, it's more brand related or some other individual quirk.)

I had one camera (mini-0806) that only experienced a buzzing sound (pulsating) with a long run of Monoprice cable but never with shorter cables. One option that may be worth trying is using the heavier gauge 24/28 AWG USB-A to Mini-B cable from Monoprice rather than the standard 28/28 AWG cables. This cable has an integral ferrite bead that can also will help eliminate or reduce electrical noises. It also has gold plated connectors which helps improve electrical contact and minimizes oxidation and corrosion. The 24/28 AWG cables are much thicker than the standard cables but I recently installed one leading to my rear facing Mobius and it was much easier to work with than I was expecting.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5447&seq=1&format=2

I've used Transcend 400X U1 64GB and currently using Samsung EVO+ U3 64GB, no difference.

Doesn't matter in the A119S's case, buzz though reduced is still prevalent even with the supplied cable, it does take care of the file and firmware corruption.

A couple of weeks back I'd added clip-on ferrite beads to both ends of all the USB cables I have in the car, made no difference at all. The audio doesn't bother me as such, if it did like with the Mobius, I would've turned it off long ago. GC has the audio covered.

I've used Transcend 400X U1 64GB and currently using Samsung EVO+ U3 64GB, no difference.

Doesn't matter in the A119S's case, buzz though reduced is still prevalent even with the supplied cable, it does take care of the file and firmware corruption.

A couple of weeks back I'd added clip-on ferrite beads to both ends of all the USB cables I have in the car, made no difference at all. The audio doesn't bother me as such, if it did like with the Mobius, I would've turned it off long ago. GC has the audio covered.

The ferrite bead won't cure internally generated noises but there's a chance that thicker AWG cable may help.

Did you compare power demand btw A119 and A119S?

Edit: got the pictures mixed up

A119S after 90 seconds with the screen off

IMG_0531.png

Screen turned back on

IMG_0534.png

A119 after 90 seconds with the screen off

IMG_0532.png

Screen turned back on

IMG_0533.png

Difference between both cameras with the screen on and off is negligible.

Last edited:
I second this. This hissing sound is present on all my videos (mic on, but no background music). I have connected it via USB instead of hardwiring.
I am getting this too. Has nobody been able to find a consistent reason why this happens? Very disappointed so far.

I don't have this problem.
However you can have sounds coming up from your dash vents like leaking exhaust manifold or exhaust, fan, engine, wind noise, etc.
Perhaps try varying the speed on the fan blower.

Last edited:
I don't have this problem.
However you can have sounds coming up from your dash vents like leaking exhaust manifold or exhaust, fan, engine, wind noise, etc.
Perhaps try varying the speed on the fan blower.
This happens even when recording indoors, so nothing to do with the car itself.

What system/method do you use to play back your video testing?
What make and model micro sd card do you use?

Are you using Viofo cords or other?

Last edited:
Sandisk 64gb, I'm playing back directly from the SD card on my Mac, I'm recording with the viofo cord supplied in the box.

This is 100% a problem with the A119S.

Sandisk 64gb, I'm playing back directly from the SD card on my Mac, I'm recording with the viofo cord supplied in the box.

This is 100% a problem with the A119S.

It's always best to transfer your video clips from the memory card to your computer before playback. Still, whether playing back directly from the card or on your Mac there shouldn't be any hiss.

It's always best to transfer your video clips from the memory card to your computer before playback. Still, whether playing back directly from the card or on your Mac there shouldn't be any hiss.

With respect, there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing back video directly from an SD card. At any rate, I was just wondering if anyone had found a reliable solution. The fact that everyone's throwing around potential cures that works for them but not others indicates that maybe noone actually knows what causes it.

With respect, there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing back video directly from an SD card. At any rate, I was just wondering if anyone had found a reliable solution. The fact that everyone's throwing around potential cures that works for them but not others indicates that maybe noone actually knows what causes it.
Contact the Sellsr and request a replacement.
If you are using quality products like a shielded cord etc,, and Formatted properly, that's all you can do.

Playing back directly from the memory card can present problems such as stuttering or skipped frames since the card's transfer rates often can't keep up with the playback rate. Certainly, there's nothing "wrong" with playing back directly off the card if you find it works for you but most experienced dash cam users avoid the practice. Either way, it has nothing to do with the hiss you are hearing.

I am always playback from the card in my reader, only problem i encounter once in a while are the file will not launch and then the computer chew at it for a minute or so with nothing happening.
But then in try #2 it work just fine, and when the playback are going i dont see any problems, i think this are a win 10 issue seem to recall it also happening on files on a harddrive.

I have always done it this way looking for the files / incidents i need, but then i transfer file to computer for editing and so on.

Back