What features would your ideal dashcam have?

dirtymoney

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you could have a dashcam custom made, what features would you have? What would make it the perfect dashcam for your needs?

For an all-in-one camera:

-Small size, horizontal installation. No screen needed. Small LCD like those found on top of cameras would be fine for settings.
-Power input: GND, +12v and ON. The ON input would be used to determine when to enable/disable parking mode motion detection.
-1Hz GPS: GPS overlays on may cameras take a few seconds to show position and speed.
-Inputs for brake switch, turn signals and vehicle speed signal. I want the video to show when I braked or signalled.
-Dual card - When one card full, start recording to second card or record to both cards at same time (user configurable)
-Good QC: Enough of all these cameras with decentered lenses, etc...

DVR207 type because it uses full size SD card, folding screen, removable battery & a true 1080p and 1/4-20 tripod mount.
Not exactly the 207 but the older model with flat surfaces ( 07, 47 ? ) so I can use Velcro option.
If only they would update the processor on the 207.

My vote is for a complete rear view mirror replacement DVR (that's as stealthy as it gets)
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...rror-dvr-manual-or-auto-dimming-gps-bdp.6206/

Even more universal though would be a hidden DVR unit with 2 remote wires connected to 2 very small cameras
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...tealth-cameras-remote-lens-snowden-w007.4708/

Until then the new Glass Hugging A118 is a great wedge shape and blends right in when installed correctly.
Street Guardian SG96650GPS is an enhanced version with GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Pier28's post.

One thing I might like to see would be an "enhanced" hidden DVR with two or more small remote cams but with a built in high capacity lithium-polymer battery (maybe 25,000 to 50,000 mAh - but removable and replaceable). This would be convenient for parking modes for quite a few hours and a camera system like this could also have many other unique uses such as for temporary mobile surveillance or wildlife observation. I've already used one of my Mobius cams with an external battery in this manner out on my rural property, most recently to monitor an area to catch a guy throwing beer cans onto a remote spot on my property while driving by. I used this same set-up to keep an eye on a masonry contractor's crew working here where some of the employees were messing with my tools and materials they had no business monkeying with, even after being warned to cut it out.

Last edited:
With everything that is possible with dashcams today. I'd like to make a wishlist for the best dashcam that is possible to be released with today's technology.

You guys have heard of Vico-Vation's Markus 4 camera that has the A7 processor which enables you to record higher than HD resolutions and has a HDR feature that improves the night videos. Well that camera has nice guts but the body is not that good looking

The camera is too bulky and stands out too much.

Vico-Vation also makes another camera that has a really awesome form factor and design and its the WF1 camera. That camera has no screen and operates via your phone through wifi.

Now I prefer to have both a screen and wifi. Even a small screen. The screen can serve as any screen on a dashcam but smaller, to retain the small form factor. Also the wifi functionality will enable you to quickly download the video to your phone in case you need it. Instead of having to take the SD card out and have to looking for a computer.

The WF-1 combined with a small screen and the A7 image processor will make a really kickass camera.

Another thing that small screen could be used for is to display speed of the vehicle. I like having my speed displayed in front of my eyes like HUD. I currently do this with my DOD LS460W and I love it. Also my vehicle has bigger tires than it came with so there is a speed difference in my speedometer and the GPS speed on the dashcam is accurate.

quick mockup of WF1 with a small screen displaying speed. Red ring indicates overspeed or something

4NNttBX.jpg
from my previous post

Capacitor to handle heat.
Emergency button with 15 seconds, button press ,15 seconds for a 30 second clip.
LEDs can be turned off and on in the menu
An easier to use plate entry system that can scroll through and not stop at each end
a photo button
a mute button
a screen or WiFi app to act as a screen.
Having said screen turn off in 15 seconds.

honestly, i have the mobius, g1w-c, blackvue dr550gw-2ch, and HAD the innovv c2.... if the blackvue had full 1080p front and rear, 15mbps, it would be my perfect camera. i love the form factor, i love the wifi feature, love the phone app, love the voice notification.

the mobius i also really love for how small and discrete it is.

but my ideal camera would have a seperate dvr that you could hide under your dash somewhere, with 2-4 cameras that could plug in, sorta like the INNOVV C3, but again, with 2-4 cameras, and would have to have 1080p30 15mpbs. ill have to wait awhile for that though.

For me I'd like to have in a perfect world:

1. Dual remote lens camera with image quality day and night first and foremost. I need small and discrete, one of my cars is a Fiat Abarth so the whole car is not all that big!

2. One touch on demand audio recording, otherwise I prefer it to be off as there is no need to record my music and me talking to myself lol. I'd like to record audio on demand though as needed.

3. Capacitor

4. Reliable.

5. Easily able to purchase, from a local to my (and yours wherever you are lol) seller, Amazon, buy.com, whatever. I want to be able to hit a site and purchase it, and if it's not good then I need to be able to easily return it without shipping costs that are crazy.

I'll settle for one lens on item number one for now as dual systems seem to not be so good currently, but the rest are reasonable I think. Then I'll have to purchase two, so keep the prices reasonable!

For me, that would be the Mobius: Small Size, Lots of great options/features, and under $100.
OK, I'm highly biased, but I really like my Mobius.
The Mobius with great night time performance would be ideal for me. Add as extras 60fps, wifi and the ability to put Motion Detect as a mode option and that would be perfect.

The larger the image sensor is, the better the dynamic range and low light performance. A dash cam with a micro 4/3s image sensor would have amazing low light performance compared to the smaller image sensors. I'd hate to think what the camera would cost, but it would be an amazing camera as far as image quality. :)

The larger the image sensor is, the better the dynamic range and low light performance. A dash cam with a micro 4/3s image sensor would have amazing low light performance compared to the smaller image sensors. I'd hate to think what the camera would cost, but it would be an amazing camera as far as image quality. :)

You know Bob, you make a good point and I'll bet there would be a market for such a device. Higher end cameras such as the Panorama are becoming more popular and as time goes on, as the dash cam market matures, people may well see the value in investing in higher end cameras just the way they might spend money on a nice 4/3rds point and shoot.

My vote would be a replacement rear view mirror with an SD port AND an optional hidden DVR that could be cable-locked under the dash or seat. The DVR should accept up to 4 total camera inputs and have a micro USB port for an additional backup battery pack.

Yeah already have seen this and this is the first step to Open Source dashcams. But I want a real dashcam with open source os - not a rPi with camera :D

Back