XIAOMI Yi ELF Files to Unbrick Camera

Hey everyone, I just spent about 3 hours trying to fix my Xiaomi Yi Action Camera and, although I have failed about 30 times already, in the end, I finally succeeded. I will rephrase every single step right now, so that it will have a higher chance of working.

PS - My model is the 23L and I used the 22L ELF file and it worked.

1. Make sure you have installed the setup.exe and that you have the ELF file somewhere accessible on your computer. Mine was on the Desktop so that I had easy access.
2. Connect your camera via USB.
3. Use a paper clip OR a tweezer to short-circuit the resistor to the board.
4. While the paper clip is making contact between the resistor and the board, click, and HOLD the power button.
5. This is the tricky part, because you need to make sure that the paper clip is still connected and that you are still holding the power button while the resistor is touching the board. Open the application and click "Connect". If you held the button down and also made sure the short circuit still had a good connection, it should show an unknown device connected.
6. If you are running Windows 7, the Device Manager should automatically open and install Ambarella drivers, and then 1 YDXJ should show up.
7. Choose your ELF file, then click download.
8. Let it run, everything from here on out should be automatic and should go through nicely.
9. Once it says "done", let it sit for just 2 to 3 minutes (USB connected) and then unplug.
10. Voila, you should now have a working Xiaomi Yi.

HUGE thanks to @cruz & @FredGrin for making this work and explaining the steps clearly. You guys saved my device, thank you so much. Guys, if you follow all my steps and if you run Windows 7, everything should work. Don't give up if it doesn't, just keep trying and I am sure you will get it.

Hi i face the same problem
My pc can't detect the camera and
when manually install the driver. I get into the device manager list and i dont know how to install it.
Can anybody help me.

Hey everyone, I just spent about 3 hours trying to fix my Xiaomi Yi Action Camera and, although I have failed about 30 times already, in the end, I finally succeeded. I will rephrase every single step right now, so that it will have a higher chance of working.

PS - My model is the 23L and I used the 22L ELF file and it worked.

1. Make sure you have installed the setup.exe and that you have the ELF file somewhere accessible on your computer. Mine was on the Desktop so that I had easy access.
2. Connect your camera via USB.
3. Use a paper clip OR a tweezer to short-circuit the resistor to the board.
4. While the paper clip is making contact between the resistor and the board, click, and HOLD the power button.
5. This is the tricky part, because you need to make sure that the paper clip is still connected and that you are still holding the power button while the resistor is touching the board. Open the application and click "Connect". If you held the button down and also made sure the short circuit still had a good connection, it should show an unknown device connected.
6. If you are running Windows 7, the Device Manager should automatically open and install Ambarella drivers, and then 1 YDXJ should show up.
7. Choose your ELF file, then click download.
8. Let it run, everything from here on out should be automatic and should go through nicely.
9. Once it says "done", let it sit for just 2 to 3 minutes (USB connected) and then unplug.
10. Voila, you should now have a working Xiaomi Yi.

HUGE thanks to @cruz & @FredGrin for making this work and explaining the steps clearly. You guys saved my device, thank you so much. Guys, if you follow all my steps and if you run Windows 7, everything should work. Don't give up if it doesn't, just keep trying and I am sure you will get it.

Hai stnlyl,

thank for your guidance on windows 7. I think i've successfully to update my 4 month bricked yi. but i've been wait for about 5-6 minutes to hear the beep, but there is no beep sound ony my camera. what should i do? is it ok if i just unplug the camera from the usb and try it without the front cover? or should i wait?

below are my log from the tools that has been provided on the first page. thank you in advance.

yi.JPG

(Update)

i've unplug the usb and restart the camera then the beep is occured, and the yi has awake from the death.. hahahaha..
a lot of thanks are also dedicated to Cruz! you are my yi life savior. :)))))))

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies and steps on how to unbrick yi cams. I'll be doing this once I get home. My Yi cam is already bricked out of the box the day I ordered it so I'm hoping for it to work once I've done the process on the first try. :)
Congrats to those who were able to unbrick their yi cams. :)

Remove the black tape on the center to see what you need to short circuit :) By the way is there any ELF files for the 23L? I really need it, 22L and 22 is not working for 23L. I've already used ERASENAND and several attempts in flashing the previous ELF files but no luck for 23L.... Can please someone share a link or file for it ? Thanks I will really appreciate it, very much.

Please, someone upload or share a link of the ELF Files for the 23L version. Please :((

Download this file:
https://mega.nz/#!iQF0mYoT!pqn4x1AtrlRXNTEGT4WD7PBjAuE97KJZnpb2OUl_rUg
MD5SUM: 1a644d309779d9a8b4b327c5b82762ca

This file contains a full instruction from Xiaomi support. Read this first. I will add my extra items to instruction.
This instruction is for 22 and 22L revisions. Choose the correct ELF file from the archive.

Instruction:
1) Unmount the front panel.
2) Install the program from archive (kind of DirectUSB program ).
3) Connect camera to PC.
4) Run installed program.
5) Check "Upgrade Firmware" radio button
6) On this step you need to short-circuit 2 points of camera - main board (GND) and the point above the resistor - look at the instruction in the archive. Resistor marked by red color in the PowerPoint file in the archive.
7) KEEP these 2 points short-circuited and press Power button to enable the camera. This turns the camera in the DirectUSB mode.
8) Press "Connect" button in the program.
9) Choose correct ELF file and press
10) Press "Download"
11) Wait for "Done" in the programm
12) Wait few minutes for 3 beeps (I do not remember them, but it is better to wait few minutes).
13) Disconnect you camera.

On this step you should get a working camera. Also I downloaded and installed the latest firmware from xiaoyi.com/upgrade after everything, but I do not think that it is necessary.
If everything is OK you will get this message in the program: "Found 1 YXDJ device". If you get "Found 0 YXDJ" then something is wrong. Try to remove the battery and repeat 6, 7, 8 items.
You it doesn't help then try it in the next order:
- 6)
- 7)
- Do not release power button, keep it pressed
- 8)
- Got "Found 1 YXDJ device"
- release power button

Is there any updates for the 23L Elf files? THanks

I tried to upload 22L firmware for 23L. Camera starts up when is connecting to USB, red ring shows up. But without USB cable camera wont start up. I can watch what is on memory card via USB, and camera is charging, but thats al, I cant turn on wifi and record antyhing, but still this is some progress. As I understand I need 23L firmware in ELF format to unbrick camera

I tried to upload 22L firmware for 23L. Camera starts up when is connecting to USB, red ring shows up. But without USB cable camera wont start up. I can watch what is on memory card via USB, and camera is charging, but thats al, I cant turn on wifi and record antyhing, but still this is some progress. As I understand I need 23L firmware in ELF format to unbrick camera

Same thing here, I tried 22 and 22L ELF files but no luck at all. I hope some one uploads the 23L ELF file soon

Please some one upload an ELF file for 23L version.... :( Please!

Ok, I unbricked my 23L. Here is how to do it. First of all. Do not take out battery, and have that plastic flap closed - its important because then battery loose connection with camera and You need to start it over with firmware. I find that every time when my firmware was corrupted that was because I got loose connection with battery, after I close that flap problem stops. Connect it to USB (without memory card), short-circuit and then erase NAND, after that run YiCamSportUSB and click connect, upload ELF with 22L firmware. After That let it stay on USB cable for 10-15 minutes. Then disconnect and try tu run. Camera should start, check it by press wifi button and try to connect twith smartphone. On Smartphone You'll se that You have newest firmware but thats an error You have 1.0 i think. There isn't 2K videos, and some options are missing. But hey camera starts - thats ok :). Then upload to USB correct firmware (for me that was 23L) put it to camera and start again. Camera should update as usual. All options are back camera works flawaless. Sorry for my english I tried to wrote as simple as I can

Ok, I unbricked my 23L. Here is how to do it. First of all. Do not take out battery, and have that plastic flap closed - its important because then battery loose connection with camera and You need to start it over with firmware. I find that every time when my firmware was corrupted that was because I got loose connection with battery, after I close that flap problem stops. Connect it to USB (without memory card), short-circuit and then erase NAND, after that run YiCamSportUSB and click connect, upload ELF with 22L firmware. After That let it stay on USB cable for 10-15 minutes. Then disconnect and try tu run. Camera should start, check it by press wifi button and try to connect twith smartphone. On Smartphone You'll se that You have newest firmware but thats an error You have 1.0 i think. There isn't 2K videos, and some options are missing. But hey camera starts - thats ok :). Then upload to USB correct firmware (for me that was 23L) put it to camera and start again. Camera should update as usual. All options are back camera works flawaless. Sorry for my english I tried to wrote as simple as I can

I tried your tricks/tips but nothing worked :( it's just blinking then reboot then blink again, actually I have done this unbricking procedure for several times but only for 22 and 22L so I dont have any issue about it but when I try unbricking 23L no luck at all... So please someone with good heart please please please upload ELF files for 23L or something related in fixing the said version please :(

Hi All,

I have a 22 bricked - I will only get the 3 red lights no matter what.

I have kept trying to short the pins out - but how do I know I am successful? What do I look for?

I understand where one end goes on the resistor - but it seems like the ground only works in select few locations - could someone please verify? Any help would be great

Rebecca

Hi All,

I have a 22 bricked - I will only get the 3 red lights no matter what.

I have kept trying to short the pins out - but how do I know I am successful? What do I look for?

I understand where one end goes on the resistor - but it seems like the ground only works in select few locations - could someone please verify? Any help would be great

Rebecca

I've tried this process to enter Direct USB probably 200 now.

No battery or SD card in camera - connected to windows 10 machine via USB

When I attempt to short I get one of two things:

the three red lights come on
nothing comes on - and I don't hear my windows pc detect any new devices

Could someone please give me some tips?

At which point do you let go of the power button and paper clip? After hitting connect and seeing that the camera is connected?
I have a 23L and so far I've only been able to get it from "3 LED glowing" to the boot loop with "beep, beepbeep" :(
The stupid Yi was defective out of the box. All I did was to charge its battery. No firmware updates or anything. First time I switched it on, it went "beep, beepbeep" ... what a waste of money.

My Z23L seems to look a little bit different on the circuitboard. Is this the right spot to connect the resistor to mass?

There is however something else too. When i switch my camera on, only the 3 LEDs are lit. No beeping at all. Confused..

Can't get him connected with Direct USB. I'm afraid it is a goner :(

Yi.jpg

Last edited:
Back