Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Slowpoke me, I finally got around to taking my cam install pics. Unlike the others you will see on this thread, this is an old workvan where even a bullethole through both sides would not adversely affect it's value, so that gives me lots of room to be imaginative, and I think you'll agree that I have done just that :D Feel free to scowl, chuckle, laugh, cry, or whatever- just know these mounts are rock-solid and trouble-free, and were made from what I had on hand.

P3080047.JPG
Here's my Mobius mounted under a home-built overhead console. The mount itself is a 1/4-20 carriage bolt through a slightly enlarged hole. I rounded off the tip of the threads to not damage the mounting bracket, which simply threads on till it bottoms out. The tension of the top nut allows it to be swiveled left and right using the wrench/lever which is locked to the shaft with the lower nut. No strain on anything to turn it 90 deg either way with the wrench. I wanted this feature so that I could adjust the view to either side if necessary without chancing damage to the USB connector. I will put some black heat-shrink on the bolt, paint the wrench/lever black, and run the power cable down from above this week when I have more work to do up there. Unseen above this are 2 transcievers, one detachable WX/AM/FM reciever, 2 speakers, a 30A cigarette lighter outlet, and storage on both sides which makes service work something I put off till I have enough to do to make the dis-assembly worthwhile :rolleyes: It's still a work in progress.

P3080051.JPG
P3080052.JPG

Here's my G1Wc mount, made from a plastic electrical outlet wall box mounted to a block of wood which screws straight into the dash. The "Micro-bungee" retainer band is a hair tie, like used to keep a ponytail together. Sawing, drilling, carving, and heating the box to make bends got it to take form easily, and it has space for airflow to help keep the cam cool. Flat black spray paint makes it look a little nicer. Knowing how hot that spot gets in the sun and how visible it is I always removed the cam unless driving. I had originally planned an install where the Mobius is but with the power cable exiting the top it would have needed a 90 degree cable end which I do not have. The switch to a Mobius ended that line of thought. Save for the sun's heat, this is actually a great location for a dashcam in a raised vehicle like my van, and with the home-made mount nobody would have a clue what it is with the cam removed ;)

I took some outside pics but the sun's glare rendered them almost worthless. Once I remove the G1Wc mount, raise the Mobius slightly hiding the power cable, then paint the sun-visor mount black so it all blends together this will be a pretty discreet install, passing the above-average scrutiny. I'm happy with it and the price of "free" is unbeatable. It won't win a beauty contest but this ain't a Ferrari either so I don't think that matters!

Phil

Slowpoke me, I finally got around to taking my cam install pics. Unlike the others you will see on this thread, this is an old workvan where even a bullethole through both sides would not adversely affect it's value, so that gives me lots of room to be imaginative, and I think you'll agree that I have done just that :D Feel free to scowl, chuckle, laugh, cry, or whatever- just know these mounts are rock-solid and trouble-free, and were made from what I had on hand.

Love it! Very Mad Max!

Hi guys, here is how i mounted my mini 0806 in my car.
I used a quick release for camera tripods.
20150718_164310_zpsfihssigs.jpg
20150718_164310_zpsfihssigs.jpg

20150718_164301_zpshbdmogqr.jpg

rsz_20150718_164404_zpsdhec5avq.jpg

20150715_172925a%20-%20kopie_zpsthg3nwip.jpg

20150715_172443_zpsbkzzox3g.jpg

Last edited:
The GPS still works?
GPS is sometime a bit flaky but works good. The reason for the place is if i have to change the windscreen i don't need to pull the cam off.

This will be the third one in this car. Very busy traffic in the Netherlands. Lots of roadworks and my car doesn't help. It has a very low front. Every thing go's right on the screen.
20150727_165421_zpsgvvdzemi.jpg

seat-altea-08.jpg

Last edited:
This will be the third one in this car. Very busy traffic in the Netherlands. Lots of roadworks.

It's unusual to have to replace a windshield so often, hence my question. Sorry to hear you live with such conditions. I do know what it is like though as I live in a rural area on a dirt and gravel road so cars here often have countless little pits in the glass and it's not unusual to have a rock hit your windscreen.

I do really like your creative mounting scheme but personally have never found it difficult to remove and reapply adhesive dash camera mounts, so I never worry about possible windscreen replacement. Having owned many dash cams I've removed adhesive mounts many times. The big issue where I live is the required safety inspection sticker which is a big hassle if your windscreen needs to be replaced. :)

@Dashmellow
If you ever need that, there may be a provision for a sticker replacement at cost without re-inspection, you'd have to research that at your local DMV or DOT.

Back when SC had inspections I was licensed to do them and that was one of the questions on the test we were given. Back then it was: Sticker $2, Inspection fee $4 pass or fail. The new sticker would have been $2 here, but you had to take possession of the old sticker (or what you could of it) while it was still attached to the car and hold it until it's expiration. Never did that myself but my boss did once while I was there.

Phil

I would think that your insurance company would pony up the $15 for a replacement mount. :)

DVR B40 118c installation Nissan Qashqai

Attachments

• 20150727_185424.jpg
    20150727_185424.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 20150812_074357.jpg
    20150812_074357.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 78
StreetGuardian SGZC12RC in a 2010 Nissan Rogue
connected with a MotoPark Multi Safer Low Voltage CUT OFF Hard Wire Power Supply BDP KIT

will see how long it hand there with 3m picture Velcro, says holds up to 12 lbs.
will see how long I can go with very slight obstruction of turn signals

(valentine one and Compustar remote starter on windshield as well

IMG_7559.JPG IMG_7560.JPG IMG_7561.JPG IMG_7562.JPG IMG_7563.JPG IMG_7564.JPG IMG_7565.JPG IMG_7566.JPG

Last edited:
StreetGuardian SGZC12RC in a 2010 Nissan Rogue
connected with a MotoPark Multi Safer Low Voltage CUT OFF Hard Wire Power Supply BDP KIT

will see how long it hand there with 3m picture Velcro, says holds up to 12 lbs.
will see how long I can go with very slight obstruction of turn signals

(valentine one and Compustar remote starter on windshield as well
I thought I had replied to this one already but not look like it.
but how do you press the button on top if you need to??

Hey Greg. The 3m plastic Velcro should be fine. It holds my front number plate on and has done for about 6 months :)
I've removed and refitted numerous times too. It's a great product. I've got a few pictures in the house held up by it too.

The Velcro easily allows me to remove it reattach it. Much better than glue tape. But can easily be stolen. Hoping this is a more discreet location., than the glove box...which thieves will open first.

Since I'm hardwired. I hope to not ever have to press the button

I can easily see it on in this location and recording in this location. Which i feel is extremely important.

I have a Mini0806 in my work van, next to a Tomtom 5100 satnav. I've only just got round to hiding the cables behind the trim, and I think it's well worth the effort.

I really lucked out when I mounted the Mini0806. I didn't pay attention to where the power cable would go. After sticking the GPS mount in place I thought the connector wouldn't go into the socket at the top, and didn't even realise there was another one underneath. I was relieved to discover the second socket and used that for a while, but it looked messy (and you could see a bit of the plug in the recordings!) When I finally bit the bullet and tidied the cabling up I managed to get the power lead into the top and hide it completely. Perfect!

Van-dashcam-satnav-inside.jpg

It's hard to see any of it from outside:
Van-dashcam-satnav-front.jpg

But from the side (and holding my tiny CPL filter in front of the cellphone lens) you can see this:
Van-dashcam-satnav-side.jpg

I take the satnav out whenever I leave the van, but if I ever leave it by mistake I'm hoping that some thieves will be thick enough to mistake it for a rear-view mirror!
I only take the dashcam out at night. It's really hard to see now I've got rid of the cables.

Here's my new Mini 0806, fitted to a 1992 Ford Granada (known to our European friends as a Ford Scorpio, and to our transatlantic cousins as a Merkur Scorpio).
These are all taken with a Sony Xperia smartphone, with no processing.
The first picture is taken from normal distance, I am standing right in front of the car. The camera can be seen, but isn't obvious and the mount looks like an extension of the mirror mounting arm:
DSC_0045_zpsd4ete0on.jpg

The second picture is from the same position, but zoomed in:
DSC_0046_zpsibfrxupx.jpg

This is from the passenger side of the car. It's well tucked up behind the mirror:
DSC_0047_zpsug7d3dmr.jpg

This interior shot shows something a little unusual in a car this age, and that is two 12V sockets, one by the gear selector (as you'd expect), where you can just about see the charger for the camera, and another at the rear of the centre console, where you can see a USB charger lit up. I'd prefer to use the rear one, but the cable isn't long enough! So, I'm going shopping for an extension tomorrow:
DSC_0048_zpsqb7gdr8q.jpg

Back