SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

No, I'm using Linux, both at work and at home.

No, I'm using Linux, both at work and at home.

ok, for some reason Linux has a problem when copying the bin files and they won't run, maybe ask someone with a Windows machine to copy the file onto the card for you

@Feitelijk is a linux user and went through this issue previously

Oh that is weird, thanks for the tip, I'll try a different card AND use a Windows pc to copy the file. Hopefully it will work.

Pretty happy with the quality so far. I pulled some footage of some lady trying to change lanes into my car.

You can see shes already missing a door handle lol

Dunno this is something that can be imporoved: when I start a trip it takes a couple of minutes before the gps coordinates are present. When I go to work I'll pass two tunnels (one of 1 km and one of 2 km), when I leave it the gps fix is in seconds.

Dunno this is something that can be imporoved: when I start a trip it takes a couple of minutes before the gps coordinates are present. When I go to work I'll pass two tunnels (one of 1 km and one of 2 km), when I leave it the gps fix is in seconds.

once you have GPS signal the hot start time (exiting a tunnel) will generally be around 1 second, cold start times can vary a bit sometimes

It can take a few seconds to a minute acquire the satellites, longer if the GPS has not been used for a while, or moved while off.

Where is your GPS? Have you flipped it, made sure it is away from any screen elements etc?

Even on cold start, mine takes secs, not mins.

Unless you go from where you are parked straight in to a tunnel?

Thanks guys for the explanation (I thought it could be improved as my telephone gets it real fast; although I turn it completely off it might use the gsm antennas to get an estimation of the sattelites).

The GPS receiver is flipped and is glued next to the dashcam (on the window in a, say, 30 degrees angle).

I start in a tunnel (my garage) :)

Thanks guys for the explanation (I thought it could be improved as my telephone gets it real fast; although I turn it completely off it might use the gsm antennas to get an estimation of the sattelites).

The GPS receiver is flipped and is glued next to the dashcam (on the window in a, say, 30 degrees angle).

If it is right next to the dashcam, that will be reducing GPS performance.

The camera can cause interference, I think it's been said it needs to be at least 6 inches away from the camera, but the further the better. Mine is bottom left of my windscreen (where UK tax discs used to be), outside the heated elements area.

Apparently my GoPro also has the same red/gold SanDisc card, so there was no other option but to try the same card but by using Windows to copy the bin file. I am happy to report that copying the bin file under Windows worked, the dashcam recognized the file and updated its firmware. I formatted the card, reset the settings as per instructions and set them back to how I want them. I'm glad I didn't have to buy a new micro sd card.

Thank you guys for your help. Off to record something :)

ok, for some reason Linux has a problem when copying the bin files and they won't run, maybe ask someone with a Windows machine to copy the file onto the card for you

@Feitelijk is a linux user and went through this issue previously

Yes it is. Even when you mount the card with x permissions it won't run the firmware update.

ok, a few things, starting inside will make the GPS cold start a little slower at times, having the GPS mounted next to the camera will affect the signal also

mobile phones use A-GPS (assisted GPS) and use cell tower triangulation to approximate your location and depending on the model can use things like WiFi AP locations to assist in finding your initial location as well as historical location information to know where you are at any given time (big brother, Google does this, Apple probably does as well), a part of GPS getting a location fix depends on knowing where you are, it has a table of information of where satellites should be at any given time but where you are relative to that helps the GPS to know where to start looking so the quicker it knows where you are the faster it can lock

Still on the beta 16, but average is not for me, there's some serious whiteout even driven with the sun in the back.

And here's the center version: (3 days ago, 30 minutes earlier)

A good fraction of the frame is the hood of your car. That could be throwing off the metering

Yeah, this is on average as well: Any ideas why the G90 on the bottom seems to be sharper(look at sign and tileson the right)? And less overexposed?
Could be the exposure time right?

Exposure time is not individually set in the AE? That's an electronic gain right?

Is there a way to reduces the exposuretime to gain sharpness but loose some brightness?

8VLK5jT.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R SG9665GC 1
Brent. SG9665GC 17
A SG9665GC 100
jokiin SG9665GC 24
jokiin SG9665GC 154
Back