Gitup git2 Videos

Was he using the Gyro?

The jelly wing mirrors where caused by software stabilisation on his computer, I think just using the Git2 gyro would have looked better...

whatever setting he has used has been nullified by using the stabilisation feature in YouTube anyway so a very poor example from someone that doesn't understand YouTube I guess

I've been trying to get to grips with using my Git2 for in-car capture whilst driving on track. I position the camera using a cage mount on an extension arm, so it sits roughly just behind and above my shoulder. I prefer being able to see the dash and steering wheel to get an impression of what's going on etc.

As you can see in the video the camera always seems to expose for inside the cabin causing the exterior to be blown out. I've tried various settings but just can't get the capture to improve. Any ideas?

Settings for the above video:
Lens - 90 Degree version
Resolution - 1080 60fps
White Balance - Auto
ISO - Auto
Colour - Normal
Contrast - Normal
Gyro - Off
WDR - Off
Sharpness - Normal
Metering - Average
Firmware 1.5Beta (upgraded to 1.5 today)

To expose the road/outside properly you have to choices:

1. Autoexposure: The camera should point to the exterior through the windshield using spot metering (or even "center"). Doing this the Git2 will "ignore" what is not in the most center part so the exposure will be OK for the tones in that measured area. Of course you'll get darker tones in those part that are being ignored but is a tradeoff. Doing this you'll have OK exposure for the exterior and will adjust automatically while moving. So, point the camera in a way that the most center part of the image is the windshield. Your framing will change and your shoulder and steering will not appear much on the frame (depending on what metering you finally use).

2. Locked Exposure: Enter to the options and adjust the function "lock exposure & white balance" to the "side button". Then put the camera in the desired mounting position, aim it through the wiendshield to outside and check the screen, when the desired luminosity appears in the Git2 screen press the side button to lock those parameters and record with them (of course tigh the setup bolts in that moment). If the locked exposure is good outside will look nice, maybe inside will be darker but is one thing or another. Doing this you can keep your current framing so your shoulder and steeering will appear in the frame. The risk is that the locked exposure ends being too slow or too fast and...and then the tones that are out of reach will apprear over or underexposed.

(Probably in the future with a movable metering zone this will be easily achieved)

IMO it will look far better with a standard lens with Gyro ON. Ah, use Low contrast.

Thank you for the information I will try both options next time I'm driving on track and set contrast to Low :)

Re. Gyro - On our usual car there isn't much vibration through the mount and we find a better quality is achieved setting Gyro off. I'd kept the same setting on this (rental) car but it looks like the mount wasn't secured as tight which caused a bit of vibration. The rattling noise you can hear in the video is the adjuster screw on the shark cage moving around as well.

Thank you for the information I will try both options next time I'm driving on track and set contrast to Low :)
Locked is no good for a race track since half the time you are going into the sun and half the time you are going into shadow, the exposure has to change.

I would aim the camera up a bit and use spot, but there is another option with the latest 1.6 firmware (only in beta at present) - set the metering to "CarDVR" which exposes for the bottom half of the image. Only problem is that you want to expose for the top of the image so you would have to mount the camera upside down (or set the "ImageRotation" option) and end up with an upside down video, but if you are going to process the video on your computer anyway then that may not be a big issue. Spot will only expose for the road, the upside down CarDVR will try to include the trees and front door pillars so might give a better compromise which will often allow you to see your dashboard as well as outside and will mean you don't need to aim it up from it's current position.

If you really want to see inside and outside at the same time then WDR should help, but you will probably get a better video with it off.

Locked is no good for a race track since half the time you are going into the sun and half the time you are going into shadow, the exposure has to change.

I would aim the camera up a bit and use spot, but there is another option with the latest 1.6 firmware (only in beta at present) - set the metering to "CarDVR" which exposes for the bottom half of the image. Only problem is that you want to expose for the top of the image so you would have to mount the camera upside down (or set the "ImageRotation" option) and end up with an upside down video, but if you are going to process the video on your computer anyway then that may not be a big issue. Spot will only expose for the road, the upside down CarDVR will try to include the trees and front door pillars so might give a better compromise which will often allow you to see your dashboard as well as outside and will mean you don't need to aim it up from it's current position.

If you really want to see inside and outside at the same time then WDR should help, but you will probably get a better video with it off.

Thanks Nigel, I note there is a Car DVR meter mode in 1.5 - is that something similar? Turning the camera upside-down isn't a problem I use a shark cage to mount the camera anyway and post processing isn't a biggie either.

That said I can extend the current mount with extra extensions so it sits lower in the cabin area. Though this would increase the likelihood of vibration.

I'll do some experimenting either way and report back.

Thanks Nigel, I note there is a Car DVR meter mode in 1.5 - is that something similar? Turning the camera upside-down isn't a problem I use a shark cage to mount the camera anyway and post processing isn't a biggie either.

That said I can extend the current mount with extra extensions so it sits lower in the cabin area. Though this would increase the likelihood of vibration.

I'll do some experimenting either way and report back.
Ahh, yes CarDVR was added in 1.5, it is just the ImageRotation that is 1.6.

Best to keep mounts as short as possible when there is a lot of vibration possible unless you can make it out of solid metal. Not sure you want to go lower anyway, you really want to move forward a little - maybe the narrow FOV mode would help, it is probably better to use that then extend the mount using plastic pieces...

On vidéo, date stamp is moving and in some parts there is zooming too, btw it's fake, done with software stabilization.

that effect comes from YouTube, when it sees video has a lot of movement it enables the stabilisation option by default which makes a mess of this type of video, it only works well for handheld video but their software isn't smart enough to know the difference, the video would look a lot different had he unchecked this option when he uploaded

I won't distrust our friend Lee Gin, because he is:
Unbiased ;)
technical :cool:

that effect comes from YouTube...

Hi,
Everyone can make mistakes. The problem is that this video is detrimental to the true quality of Git2's stabilization and his seriousness.
It seems sensible to remove this video and start a new upload, don't you think ?

I know the quality of Git2's stabilization and I'm satisfied about it :) I already posted videos about it on motorbike.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gitup-git2-videos.17572/page-8#post-275062
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gitup-git2-videos.17572/page-8#post-276340

and my today's GIT2 videos :

Artist's Squat, 59 Rivoli in Paris :

Royal Coachs in Versailles - France :

Last edited:
Hi,
Everyone can make mistakes. The problem is that this video is detrimental to the true quality of Git2's stabilization and his seriousness.
It seems sensible to remove this video and start a new upload, don't you think ?

I know the quality of Git2's stabilization and I'm satisfied about it :) I already posted videos about it on motorbike.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gitup-git2-videos.17572/page-8#post-275062
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gitup-git2-videos.17572/page-8#post-276340

the stabilisation of GitUp Git2 by all reports works fine, that video is in no way representative of how it actually works as it is not the original file, all the other videos that guy has on his YouTube channel are Eken cameras, maybe he works for Eken, who knows, juts looks like he is trying to discredit GitUp

As you can see in the video the camera always seems to expose for inside the cabin causing the exterior to be blown out. I've tried various settings but just can't get the capture to improve. Any ideas?
Set the ISO to 50 and EV to the -1\3 or -2\3, WDR - on, Metering - Spot, Low Contrast.
And all will be fine! Also recommend the 1.6 firmware instead of 1.5.

the stabilisation of GitUp Git2 by all reports works fine, that video is in no way representative of how it actually works as it is not the original file, all the other videos that guy has on his YouTube channel are Eken cameras, maybe he works for Eken, who knows, juts looks like he is trying to discredit GitUp
It is the typical jelly of warp stabilizer (corner pins control). This software stabilization effect is available in some video editors, Youtube also is able to apply it as the uploading option.

It is the typical jelly of warp stabilizer (corner pins control). This software stabilization effect is available in some video editors, Youtube also is able to apply it as the uploading option.

who knows what he has done in editing but YouTube can make this same result, YouTube offers this function by default when it detects video that has a lot of movement, it makes most videos look much worse

have you any links to the 1.6 firmware download ......if so would be appreciated....Ipol

have you any links to the 1.6 firmware download ......if so would be appreciated....Ipol

I'm not sure where the link to the latest beta was posted, @gitup would know, @Nigel might know also, I'm sure one of them will point you in the right direction when they're online next

Thanks for the info jokiin I will look out for the posts this evening its dog walking time this afternoon weather has turned chilly but at least the sun is shining ....Ipol

expo Home Staging - Loft du 34 in Paris

Le 6b, squat of artists near Paris

expo l'undergrounde s'expose, squat 59 Rivoli - Paris

Montmartre's harvest festival (Fête des vendanges de Montmartre), Paris
I set too much colorfulness whith video editing :/

Zombie Walk Paris 2016
(pictures with a Canon)

Back