A119S firmwares

VIOFO continues to release Firmware which is slightly over Sharpened causing a hallow effect around thin objects and text. This video clearly shows the difference between average and Perfect Sharpness. If enough customers request VIOFO to include basic Image Controls: Sharpness, Contrast, Brightness and Color Saturation we wouldn't have to hack the firmware files to achieve the image quality these Dash Cams support.

All Credit and Thanks for Modified Sharpness = @vvs49
A119S MOD Sharp-20 V2.6 27.5Mbit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GU0aO3o8XDpmiRz9_EIP3au-08u065yp/view

Here is the Modified vs Official FW2.6 Sharpness Comparison video

The increase in bitrate positively affects complex scenes (grass, trees, foliage). The video does not crumble into squares and the image does not turn into a "porridge", which is observed on the original software.
As the bit rate increases, the file weight will be increased.
The official firmware uses variable bit rate to reduce files sizes, setting it Constant would alone reduce blockyness and possibly lower the need to maximize variable bit rate over 25Mbps. Lots of testing needed. Current Official Firmware uses 15Mbps for 1080@30fps and 20Mbps for 60fps.
Once I figure out the unpacking/packing and offset I'll start creating my own Modified A119S Firmware.
I'd start with setting 1080@30fps to use 20Mbps instead of 28Mbps (which result in 3min clips 620MB)
Bit Rate = 20Mbps for 30fps / 25Mbps for 60fps
Sharpness = 20 is Perfect! (1-100)
Brightness = drop 2 or 4 points (1-100)
Saturation = drop 2 point (1-100)

Modified firmware has long been tested on the Russian forum 4PDA.
The bitrate in the MOD also remains variable and improves the video on complex scenes, while the bitrate on the official firmware does not cope with complex scenes.
The higher the bitrate, the greater the file weight!
Than there will be more modificized firmware, the better for users, there is from what to choose

On the firmware with a bitrate of 28 Mbit the parking mode does not work, apparently there is a limit, for this purpose, firmware is created with 27.5 Mbit.
If someone can fix the expo tables, it will be super.

MOD V2.4_28mbit
Безымянный.png

Last edited:
Comparison of the original software and the 28Mbps MOD
File Gif

Thanks, but WDR is no go for me.
And my A119S died again - turns on but buttons won't work.
What dashcam is reliable? A lot of people said Viofo was, but this is not true. It is slightly better than another Chinese crap, but is just not reliable. Yesterday had unpleasant meeting with another driver. Today I open SD card and it hasn't recorded anything since 2 weeks. What a piece of Chinese ****. I wish to an owner\designer\quality controller to be raped by some big black dong if he cannot do work properly.

Thanks, but WDR is no go for me.
What dashcam is reliable? A lot of people said Viofo was, but this is not true. It is slightly better than another Chinese crap, but is just not reliable. Yesterday had unpleasant meeting with another driver. Today I open SD card and it hasn't recorded anything since 2 weeks. What a piece of Chinese ****. I wish to an owner\designer\quality controller to be raped by some big black dong if he cannot do work properly.
Guess you own the original version with gold pins? Always try the miniUSB side power port. I posted a long Troubleshooting Guide here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/troubleshooting-common-issues-on-a119s-or-a119.35375/
eventually I'll create a How to Troubleshoot video. Verify the memory card isn't in ready-only-locked mode (damaged), beware of fake/clone cards. If possible try running A119S indoors powered off Power Bank or 1-3Amp 5volt adapter for 4 hours. Vehicle vibrations can cause a lot of issues.

Guess you own the original version with gold pins? Always try the miniUSB side power port. I posted a long Troubleshooting Guide here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/troubleshooting-common-issues-on-a119s-or-a119.35375/
eventually I'll create a How to Troubleshoot video. Verify the memory card isn't in ready-only-locked mode (damaged), beware of fake/clone cards. If possible try running A119S indoors powered off Power Bank or 1-3Amp 5volt adapter for 4 hours. Vehicle vibrations can cause a lot of issues.
I have the second version, upgraded. The camera starts without problem, there is no issue with power as I tried various cables and normal wall charger. It just doesn't respond to button pressing, one reboot for 10 fixes something but then again no response.
The SD cards are working well in other devices.

I may understand that device works in quite hard conditions - hot weather, often 50-60 degrees inside the car, vibrations. But somebody made a blueprint of it, should predict this, and that. This camera is just not reliable, I do not say it doesn't work. It is just not a device you can relay on, so in terms of dashcams, really huge disadvantage. It seems that it is worth to pay more for a device which has great QC or is manufactured in Europe.

I made a hardware inspection, and all seem to be normal:
nf6aHAU.jpg

Last edited:
I have the second version, upgraded. The camera starts without problem, there is no issue with power as I tried various cables and normal wall charger. It just doesn't respond to button pressing, one reboot for 10 fixes something but then again no response.
The SD cards are working well in other devices.

I may understand that device works in quite hard conditions - hot weather, often 50-60 degrees inside the car, vibrations. But somebody made a blueprint of it, should predict this, and that. This camera is just not reliable, I do not say it doesn't work. It is just not a device you can relay on, so in terms of dashcams, really huge disadvantage. It seems that it is worth to pay more for a device which has great QC or is manufactured in Europe.

I made a hardware inspection, and all seem to be normal:
nf6aHAU.jpg
Does the screen display look normal when camera is on?

Yes, there is boot logo, then normal screen with normal picture (not frozen). Screen is not flickering.
there may be many reasons.
The simplest thing is to check the soldering of the capacitors on the board and the usb

Try powering up without a microSD card installed. Play with the buttons randomly to see if menu mode comes up. If so, use the arrows to maneuver to the "Default Setting" menu selection and default the settings. Power down then back up with a microSD card installed and see how it goes.

If this fails, reload the latest version firmware or whatever version you want. Default your settings using the "Default Setting" menu selection. That usually at least temporarily fixes the freeze up / hang up problem.

The pictures attached to the link below show three variations of what the frozen A119S screen might look like, including he normal picture {Edit: not frozen} version is in the middle:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofos-a119s.26309/page-23#post-373001. This was before the X-box problem was fixed, so we don't see those anymore.

Just quick note before I leave the house. I noticed that camera runs ok without SD card. When I put any card (I tried 5 different, also NTFS, FAT and FAT32), the camera will not respond. It will boot, but buttons won't work.
Also when I start cam without SD card, I see message to insert it. When I do it, cam shuts down.

Just quick note before I leave the house. I noticed that camera runs ok without SD card. When I put any card (I tried 5 different, also NTFS, FAT and FAT32), the camera will not respond. It will boot, but buttons won't work.
Also when I start cam without SD card, I see message to insert it. When I do it, cam shuts down.

it would only work with a FAT32 card

If you suspect the memory card itself, post some photos of them here. As gse said there can be many reasons but looks like you isolated the cause to microSD card or slot. If the A119S functions normally when testing without card inserted and all buttons respond, no screen issues or freezing you are close to a solution. Card slot is under the speaker and surface mounted. Can become lose or warped, connector pins in slot can be bent, broken or worn. Thin or thicker microSD cards may not connect well. Suggest testing with other card brands. Take a photo of the slot depth opening, post here.

I thought that too, but cam shuts down only if I put a SD card when cam requests it. When I start with already SD card in, and I eject it, then insert again - it doesn't shut down. If it was physical damage of the slot, it would always shut down, not only when there is prompt "insert SD card".
By so I cannot downgrade firmware because cam won't read SD card. I tried it, I try once again to be sure.

I thought that too, but cam shuts down only if I put a SD card when cam requests it. When I start with already SD card in, and I eject it, then insert again - it doesn't shut down. If it was physical damage of the slot, it would always shut down, not only when there is prompt "insert SD card".
By so I cannot downgrade firmware because cam won't read SD card. I tried it, I try once again to be sure.
Card should only be removed/inserted while camera is off.

If card slot isn't damaged, (look close inside for bent contact touching another or shorting, possible dust, sand, paper inside slot) swap-out card with many brands, speeds. Clean card contact points with white eraser. Follow my Troubleshooting Guide for all possible causes related to memory card. My A119S did this in the early days almost 2 years ago and changing cards solved the issue, seemed to be failure of DVR detecting specific card. Like a computer USB port, repeated eject/insert while data is being written can damage the card and port hardware. Always risky ejecting storage devices while data is written, newer USB 3.0+ have safe guards, the A119S does not. There are many repair options available.

More detail on the procedure I suggested earlier. This procedure assumes your microSD card is OK. When the camera boots without a microSD card installed, don't install a card when you get the "Please Insert TF Card" message. The message should disappear shortly and the camera starts the continuous double beep indicating the it is not recording. Press the menu button and when the menu comes up, scroll down to the "Default Setting" selection and press the confirmation (emergency) button to enter that selection. Scroll to OK and press the confirmation (emergency) button to change all your settings back to default. After the camera reboots, remove power from the camera and insert a microSD card. Power up the camera and check out it's operation - it should start recording. If the camera instructs you to format the card (in the camera), do so. Otherwise, stop recording, re-enter the menu and format the card in the camera. Reset one setting (suggest Time Zone) for a test and check to see if the setting you changed holds after a power down. If so, reset all your settings as desired and you should be good to go.

Otherwise, if the procedure above doesn't go well, update or re-flash your firmware after formatting your card to FAT32. {Edit: Manually default your settings using the "Default Setting" menu selection. If everything works OK, reset your menu settings to your preferences}.

Last edited:
Back