Don't see it happening, at least going by the options available in the current and past VIOFO cameras. It's not like they can't but still even stuff like different metering options have never been made available.

I'd be wary of using modified firmwares, that too when they're flying out every other day. There's a very real possibility of introducing unexpected behaviour that could affect reliability. Took VIOFO almost a year to sort out the A119S, not point loading a baked version that could compromise reliability, and for what, a better looking sky and nicer looking trees, no thanks.

I'd be wary of using modified firmwares, that too when they're flying out every other day. There's a very real possibility of introducing unexpected behaviour that could affect reliability. Took VIOFO almost a year to sort out the A119S, not point loading a baked version that could compromise reliability, and for what, a better looking sky and nicer looking trees, no thanks.
always a consideration, perhaps not something you want to do if it's your primary camera, no issue for those with more than one camera at a time in service as some here do

even some software has "general settings" or "expert settings", what's wrong with that?
if you have no idea what you do stick with the "general settings", did something wrong with the "expert.." - reset it to defaults. and start over.
smile3.gif

always a consideration, perhaps not something you want to do if it's your primary camera, no issue for those with more than one camera at a time in service as some here do

Certainly not advisable if it's the only camera in one's car, definitely not.

If one really wants to play around with the image settings, do yourself a favour and get a Mobius.

even some software has "general settings" or "expert settings", what's wrong with that?
if you have no idea what you do stick with the "general settings", did something wrong with the "expert.." - reset it to defaults. and start over.
smile3.gif

that's perhaps more appropriate when the manufacturer offers those options, when you start changing things with a hex editor there can be unintended side effects with some of the changes that can't be accounted for at that level, some tweaks are ok, some have other consequences

Reactions: gse
that's perhaps more appropriate when the manufacturer offers those options
that's my point. give your customers a choice what they want (or not) to do. most of them don't really care about any "extras" and think if they plug the camera to a power they gonna have a video and it's not the case. they should know what they do, at least in general, and how to deal with the outcome.

that's my point. give your customers a choice what they want (or not) to do. most of them don't really care about any "extras" and think if they plug the camera to a power they gonna have a video and it's not the case. they should know what they do, at least in general, and how to deal with the outcome.

that's pretty much how we do it already, options are there, up to the customer what they select

Don't see it happening, at least going by the options available in the current and past VIOFO cameras. It's not like they can't but still even stuff like different metering options have never been made available.

LOL
I notice data patterns in my trade, I noticed another when @jokiin needs backup.
Creating MODs to identify Firmware using MP4 embedded tags because VIOFO has no idea how to do it 2 years later and its still DEMO1 is called resourcefulness and has zero risk.
Creating Sharpness MODs daily because VIOFO refuses to unlock the feature already supported in the Firmware is called resourcefulness and has zero risk.
Creating Saturation MODs daily because VIOFO refuses to unlock the feature already supported in the Firmware is called resourcefulness and has zero risk.
Creating Custom Logo MODs daily provides End User with option to be creative and has zero risk.
Creating Bit Rate MODs daily because VIOFO refuses to enable the feature already supported in the Firmware is called resourcefulness and has risk which we accept and why we are testing daily, no one else is.
Accepting caps exploding, screws missing, defective Lens modules, poorly designed GPS mounts, poorly trimmed CPL Filters, poor quality control and poor customer support has much more risk to the VIOFO business model than higher Bit Rates.
We are Hooligans, who are you?
We stay in our 30 day old 23 page thread, are we bothering you?
We do all our own testing and nothing has happened I haven't controlled, what complaints are you hearing and from whom?
How may Novatek based Dashcams are out there... its worth the risk, its our risk, its our devices, its our money, you do know what thread your posting in correct?
I am a Hooligan, you can't stop me, LOL ( Troll vs Troll ) . . . . . . . . . . that was 15mins wasted, back to work, next up, World Tour #2

most of the mods you do are low risk of breaking functionality, I think what @Harsh says is correct though, you have to accept the risk of something not working when you need it most, if it's your only camera then that's a risk he wouldn't take

most of the mods you do are low risk of breaking functionality, I think what @Harsh says is correct though, you have to accept the risk of something not working when you need it most, if it's your only camera then that's a risk he wouldn't take
Its not worth a response but I've re-typed this sentence too many times now, this thread was created to keep Hooligans out of the Official Firmware thread, maybe your comments apply there but not here, we want to modify our only dashcams and disassemble them because they are our only dashcams only to discover missing screws, cheap lens holders, poor focus, and create DIY MODs to keep our only dashcams running the way we want.
What a waste of my time, no more Troll bait responses by me, suggest others do the same, waste of time and energy, let them post all they want, they get paid to do it, we don't. (looks up how to block Forum members).

last word: anyone interested in understanding the bigger picture see what other Novatek dashcam owners deal with and my offer to help and @jokiin position.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/nextbase-logo.35842/post-425158
//EOF

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say, I'm not knocking you for wanting to tweak things, if Harsh or anyone else for that matter decides it's not for them I don't see that as an issue, I'd bet he still watches with interest to see what improvements may come anyway

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say, I'm not knocking you for wanting to tweak things, if Harsh or anyone else for that matter decides it's not for them I don't see that as an issue, I'd bet he still watches with interest to see what improvements may come anyway

I think it has more to do with the tone and how he presented his position. It was quite dismissive and insulting actually, whether he meant it that way or not. If he wants to stick with Viofo's FW, no problem. This thread is 23 pages and counting for a reason though. It's full of people who want to tinker around and do so knowing exactly what the risks are.

I took apart my camera out of curiosity just to see what the insides were like. As @BCHobbyist mentioned, what I found was that my camera is missing screws that secure the lens assembly to the housing. It is literally not attached, just held in place by the housing clipped together... How long it remains secure, I don't know, but for a camera that cost over $150 on their website to have missing screws in probably the most important spot, is unacceptable. I wouldn't have known unless I took it apart, but that is also the type of people who are active in this thread. We like to mess around with things and see what can be improved upon. And yes, it's still not screwed in place. I don't have screws that small.

But anyway, back on topic, "flying out every other day", "no point loading a baked version", "for what, a better looking sky and nicer looking trees, no thanks".

Those particular portions are unnecessary, and are just a biased opinion. It's the included insulting statements that have no place here. If he just said modified FW can bring unexpected behaviour and could affect reliability, I wouldn't see a problem with that statement.

Yeah maybe it wasn't communicated in the best way, harsh has done his own tweaks with different lenses, mounts etc over the years so I'm sure he's not against the idea of modding things per say, the written word can very easily be misinterpreted at times also

Yeah maybe it wasn't communicated in the best way, harsh has done his own tweaks with different lenses, mounts etc over the years so I'm sure he's not against the idea of modding things per say, the written word can very easily be misinterpreted at times also

Absolutely, it's best to just stick with factual statements, and leave the rest.

And besides, how can I not get enjoyment out of a MOD that serves no other use than to make me smile knowing it pops up for a split second. Even if I'm not looking at it in my car. :ROFLMAO:

splash screen.jpg

We are glad to hear professional users to tweak the firmware.
We just send a sample a F1 action camera to a Russian use who have lots of experience on Ambarella platform.
Normally we will do comparison between official FW and MOD FW, we are going to release a new beta firmware for 119S which use latest SDK.
We also welcome user to MOD FW based on latest SDK in future.

Some features we done in other cameras, like for change the startup logo, it is official supported in our action camera, and later other developer released a GUI tool to make a bootup logo.

Just to clarify, I meant every word exactly the way it came across.

@BCHobbyist Nothing wrong with what you're doing, if one has more than one camera in their car, knock yourself out.

What's wrong is, your approach. Still waiting for the mount you were going to release. Oh and that tape. LOL

ey harsh whats wrong with you today?
bad night? rainy day?

let people do what they want to do, that is not your problem!

it is clear written: flash custom fw at your own risk.

and bc never say that he will release a mount. he only say that he will maybe...

We are glad to hear professional users to tweak the firmware.
We just send a sample a F1 action camera to a Russian use who have lots of experience on Ambarella platform.
Normally we will do comparison between official FW and MOD FW, we are going to release a new beta firmware for 119S which use latest SDK.
We also welcome user to MOD FW based on latest SDK in future.

Some features we done in other cameras, like for change the startup logo, it is official supported in our action camera, and later other developer released a GUI tool to make a bootup logo.

Feel free to release that beta firmware here in this MOD thread. You have a lot of people here who would use it and give feedback.

And the more features and settings you let us tweak and MOD, the better!

Last edited:
Back