A129 Pro firmware

the firmware will have default settings that are loaded, that's not the same as going into the menu and resetting defaults after updating firmware, it's for a different reason
After updating firmware You dont have to set defaults they make automatic after update (they soppose to) i updated the camera 4th time now and always all settings i maded are default.

After updating firmware You dont have to set defaults they make automatic after update (they soppose to) i updated the camera 4th time now and always all settings i maded are default.
What jokiin is trying to say is, it is advisable to self press the default button every time u make an update on the firmware. This is to ensure that the pre-setting will be erased and back to stock default setting, for sure. Even it will auto reset to default for you after you flash any firmware update..

What jokiin is trying to say is, it is advisable to self press the default button every time u make an update on the firmware. This is to ensure that the pre-setting will be erased and back to stock default setting, for sure. Even it will auto reset to default for you after you flash any firmware update..

Well, that should be written on official site viofo firmware update page then.

the defaults get loaded when you do an update, if the previous firmware had settings in NVM that were not overwritten it can lead to things like missing menu options, going into the settings menu and doing a reset default settings clears this where loading a new firmware won't, that's why we tell people to reset defaults as a part of the firmware update process after updating, airflame had this exact issue, he was missing some options in the menus after updating, resetting defaults clears it

I have just purchased the A129pro and I am looking for the latest firmware.

The Viofo website shows a link to a previous version than the on my camera which is running 1.3.

I have just purchased the A129pro and I am looking for the latest firmware.

The Viofo website shows a link to a previous version than the on my camera which is running 1.3.
Just stick with V1.3 until they officially release the next version.

I am still running original firmware 1.3. Personally, I wouldn't go to no other site, unless it from VIOFO to firmware update. However, I understand there is a breed that like to beta test, which is okay. But to newbies or just user, best to stick to VIOFO firmware updates.

Ok, but if the official https://support.viofo.com/ says that 1.1 is the latest, it means Viofo is selling dashcams with beta firmware (1.3) inside.
Some cameras are shipping with V1.3 (now V1.4 I believe), but the change between the version isn't anything notable. V1.1 is still the last official version and unless you want to experiment with beta versions, just stick with V1.3.

Hopefully it is because they haven’t updated their website and 1.3 isn’t beta. Doesn’t seem they spend much time updating their website.

Since I'm having issue where the a129 pro can't remain "on" in parking mode during the day, I've been testing it with 1080p+1080p. It's a bit and miss. Sometimes it doesn't turn off, sometimes it does. I tested with a129 (using the same card), it remains "on" 24 hours a day. No issue. It's either the a129 pro design has an issue or my unit is problematic.

Also, I noted the a129 pro 1080p 60fps is worse than the a129. Both set to high. When I drove past cars parked at the roadside, I can read the plate number when zoomed in on the a129. But on the a129 pro, it's not readable. Even a motorcycle that overtaken me slowly, the plate number can't be read.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

These are my test report on A129 Pro Duo and I'm finally couldn't take it anymore. I'm giving up on the A129 Pro Duo.

Issue #1: Year shown as 2088 in Viofo app for Android
This is a non-critical issue and can be ignored. If you format your card to exfat and view the files from Viofo app for Android, the category date is shown as 2088-mm-dd. Viofo responded by asking me to reformat the card as FAT32 and it will be resolved. Funny thing is, if I format as FAT32, then I get error recording during drive. Sigh....
1592730772623.png

Issue #2: Error recording (beeping alert) in driving mode

In V1.3, when the product was newly installed, there was no issue recording in driving mode. I never actually check further than that as I was expecting it to work as A129 Duo which I bought for my wife. Then after about a month, I start getting beeping alert when I was driving and it beep very frequently. Due to this I discovered that formatting it to exfat resolved the issue.

In V2.0, in driving mode, it records until around 50 to 58 seconds, the recording timer will slow time and skip and then at 58 seconds, the rec blinks and timer restarted at 0. It repeats infinitely. Checked the files, no corruption but there is around 10 seconds gap between files.

Issue #3: Error recording (beeping alert) in parking mode
Then, a new issue arises. It now start beeping when it enter parking mode especially during the day (weirdly no issue at night, maybe due to the lower temperature). It will continuously beep until it hang (while still beeping). If I started the car, it will stop beeping and the rec led and the UI shown that it is recording "normally". But if I stop recording and check the files, nothing is recorded. I need to reboot it to get it back to work.

Upgraded to V1.7T, same issue.
Upgraded to V2.0, it doesn't go into parking mode due to the "driving mode" keep getting error at 58 seconds.

Issue #4: In parking mode, it turn itself "off" at around noon every day (10:30am to 1:30pm)
It happen for resolution 4k+1080p and 2k+1080p. At night, it records the whole night till morning without any issue.

When set to 1080p+1080p, it a hit and miss. It may still turn off at noon. In V2.0 (UPDATE: able to go to parking mode when using Samsung EVO Plus 256GB), it may also suddenly get recording error and the last 2 files (front and back) will be corrupted. Then it stops recording but the rec led still show that it is recording normally. I noticed this because I checked the dashcam at 4:00pm and the rec still show recording. But when I view the files, the last 2 files is at 11:30am, which are corrupted. Anyway, it it does work without turning off in 1080p+1080p, then what's the use of buying a A129 Pro? May just have go with A129, no?

Ruling out external issues
To make sure rule out external issues (hk3, rear cam, sdcard), I used my wife's A129 Duo unit (firmware V1.9). It uses Samsung EVO Plus (256GB).
  • Ruling out the the rear cam, HK3 hardware and my car battery
    • I swapped the A129 into my car using her Samsung EVO Plus (256GB).
    • I tested for 3 days, no issue at all. It remained "on" for 24 x 3 hours (driving mode + parking mode).
  • Ruling out my Samsung EVO Plus (512GB)
    • I tested using h2testw and it passed the write and verify test. The write speed is at constant 17.5 MB/s. I believe this is due to the max speed reachable by a USB 2 interface. I'm using the card reader that comes with the A129 Pro. When I benchmark the card using my Samsung Note 10+, I get around 70 MB/s for write. Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, 17.5 MB/s is more than enough to record 4k+1080p, right?
    • 1592794748420.png
    • I installed it into the A129. It couldn't accept the card. It keeps asking to format the card. So I re-partition it to 256GB and formatted as FAT32. Then it accepts the card and starts recording.
      • Tested recording for 3 days. No issue. It remained "on" for 24 x 3 hours (driving mode + parking mode)
    • The above 2 points proven that the Samsung EVO Plus (512GB) is not faulty, not too slow and the write speed is constant.
    • I installed my wife's Samsung EVO Plus (256GB) into my A129 Pro. Note that this card is working without any issue in the A129.
      • firmware used was V2.0
      • If formatted at FAT32,
        • error recording during driving mode. Once it encounter error, it stays in error (rec keeps blinking) until I restart it. Note: there is no beeping alert in V2.0
        • parking mode, error recording.
      • Formatted as exfat
        • Intermittent error in parking mode (low bitrate).
        • Sometimes, it caused the A129 Pro to "hang". I don't know what to call this.When it enter this "hang" mode,
          • the rec led will show that it is recording.
          • the display timer shows it is recording.
          • however, when the files are check, no files are saved.
          • the only way to recover is to reboot the A129 Pro
        • Sometimes, the rec led blink infinitely until I reboot it. It may happen anytime during parking when I already left the car.
      • This shows that even with a card which is proven to work on A129 doesn't work in A129 Pro.

Last edited:
These are my test report on A129 Pro Duo and I'm finally couldn't take it anymore. I'm giving up on the A129 Pro Duo.

Hey i am with You i returned my a129 pro duo and want it replaced to a129 duo or money back. I did the same swap my old a129 from another car and parking mode and driving mode no problems. Hope viofo will do a debug logs for the camera and fix it. For now the camera a129 pro is usless pice of crap. Sorry but the truth is as it is.

Last edited:
Note that Viofo haven't interacted in this thread for about 30 days. What is happening with them? I know this is not their official site but this is their own tread and a mainstream hub for dashcam discussions.

For reasons unknown to me, it seems that Viofo and his team are not posting or interacting with us here on DCT nearly as well as he once did, I would hope that someone there is at least monitoring and reading these threads, but without some kind of response we cannot know this.

I think it also needs to be said that how we act here can have an affect on this. There are several threads on these forums which degraded into a bash-fest with Viofo as the target. You can't really expect someone to just stay there and take a continual bashing- they will simply begin ignoring those threads. And if most related threads become similar then they may cease reading any of them at all :eek:

A wise man usually gets what he asks for, and is careful in framing his request so that he gets what he wants in response :)

An unwise man also usually gets what he asks for too, but hasn't framed his request well so he usually doesn't get what he wants as a result :(

And sometimes no matter what is being asked for or by whom gets the desired response, or any response at all, and there's nothing which can be done about that except to use that information in making your future decisions ;)

I think it would be good for everyone to see something more of @viofo here, but we need to be welcoming to him and not repelling him to get that :cool: Part of that choice is ours and part is his, but in the end it's his decision alone to make.

Phil

Back