A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

How many amps does this dash cam need, will 1A be enough?
I'm running it now and according to my charger doctor it's as follows in 1080P/30 mode with HDR on.

Screen on:
5.25v and between 0.36 and 0.45A

Screen off:
5.25v and between 0.29 and 0.38A

So where can one purchase the updated B40S?

nowhere, the picture they show is a 3D render, the product has not been produced at this stage, keep in mind Tiesfong are just a customer, they are not the manufacturer of the product

I've been using my B40 fine for the past month or two, but recently the screen has turned black and white and only half of it is usable. This makes it almost impossible to change settings.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue, or do I need to request a replacement? It might be difficult because I purchased it on eBay.

I don't think my eBay seller will be willing to send me a replacement. Do I have any alternative other than buying another one?

you could try reloading the firmware, just in case there's a glitch there somewhere, not too likely to help though

hit the seller up anyway, if you don't ask you have no chance, you never know

I already tried that -- unfortunately, doesn't seem to do anything.

I'll wait to see whether the seller responds. Worst case I'll open it up and poke around -- I have a feeling it might just be a loose ribbon cable, as I've seen something similar with laptops in the past.

notice no mention of warranty aside from offering a squaretrade warranty at extra cost, I know how they get these and they can't afford to risk offering a warranty on this kind of stock, for the buyer I guess it's a gamble that may or may not pay off

This camera is interesting. Who is the official seller? I live in the countryside so there aren't any streetlights here. How the camera performs in that kind of situations (night, no streetlights)?

I don't know if there is an official seller, but trusted sellers which are selling the real product. Example. It have a good price and is offered by the above @billknow user which will keep us updated with new firmwares.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
This camera is interesting. Who is the official seller? I live in the countryside so there aren't any streetlights here. How the camera performs in that kind of situations (night, no streetlights)?

If you need good night vision, I would look into a different dash cam. The camera has excellent video quality in most conditions and a nice form factor, but the night vision is not good. It's tolerable (but still not all that good) if you have street lights/building lights/etc., but if you have no street lights and are relying only on your car beams, definitely get something else.

I just bought this camera. I'm also using it as a reverse cam - attached 5" LCD monitor. The video output quality is pretty bad. Especially at night (external monitor is all black), eventhough recorded video is OK.
Does this cam have a IR sensitivity? Would it help to install IR lights?

I don't think IR Lights will help on any dashcam.
Try to increase the brightness or EV in camera menu.

I don't know if reported, but Techmoan have a video review about it:

enjoy,
Mtz

if recorded video is ok then changing EV will impact that, there's still some changes happening to the AV output and I'd say the problem is probably related, that said though it's not intended to be used as a reverse cam, we do reverse cams as well and they are designed to work under much different circumstances and work quite well under low light but would be terrible as a dashcam camera source, need to use the right tool for the job ;)

Yes, I think there are some special image settings for rear cameras, but I think the day image is sacrificed for a better night vision.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back