A119 PRO?!?

They can took implementation from smartphone wifi chip and antenna. .

there's limited hardware support, you can't just add any wifi module and expect it to work, wifi has it's limitations for this application unless you want to restrict things to low bitrate and 1 minute files like the Koreans do with their cameras

1 minute option should exists in any Wi-Fi dashcam. After viewing hundreds of Russian accidents on YouTube I observed that most of them are happening in under 30 seconds, so 1 minute should be enough for most incidents. If are needed more video clips, like for example 3-4-5 then no problem them will be downloaded after the most important video is downloaded in a short time.
Why to always download 3 or 5 minutes videos if most of the time just one minute is including the all needed footage?

enjoy,
Mtz

1 minute option should exists in any Wi-Fi dashcam. After viewing hundreds of Russian accidents on YouTube I observed that most of them are happening in under 30 seconds, so 1 minute should be enough for most incidents. If are needed more video clips, like for example 3-4-5 then no problem them will be downloaded after the most important video is downloaded in a short time.
Why to always download 3 or 5 minutes videos if most of the time just one minute is including the all needed footage?

enjoy,
Mtz

I agree one minute is plenty in most case, the Koreans are forced to limit their cameras to one minute files due to WiFi, a lot of people do prefer to use longer files though which then are not practical for use with WiFi

unfortunately if you put longer recording times people still expect it to work so I do understand why they limit the recording length the way they do

Thank you for the pictures but there is Viofo A129 a dual channel camera, not Viofo A119 Pro.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thank you for the pictures but there is Viofo A129 a dual channel camera, not Viofo A119 Pro.

enjoy,
Mtz
Looks like I can plug my Olympus into the rear camera socket :sneaky:

Does anyone know when the A119 Pro will be available and where can I buy it internationally? I am from Indonesia, and I expect local retailers to sell them usually 6 months after release.

Like the Yi Ultra 2.7k Dash Cam is just coming out here. I am seriously considering to buy it if the Viofo takes their time to release the A119 Pro. But the tropical (read: HOT) weather here leaves me with no option.

Does anyone know when the A119 Pro will be available and where can I buy it internationally? I am from Indonesia, and I expect local retailers to sell them usually 6 months after release.

Like the Yi Ultra 2.7k Dash Cam is just coming out here. I am seriously considering to buy it if the Viofo takes their time to release the A119 Pro. But the tropical (read: HOT) weather here leaves me with no option.

I love xiaomi and their products (got 2 cellphones from them), but the Yi dashcam series are not that great and it uses lithium batteries, it sucks, cant handle heat, therefore it is not reliable.

might be useful if you live in cold places tho.

Adding also 5GHz is the only way to go for a dashcam company which want to be a leader in this market so I expect Viofo to do this in future products, but not in A119 Pro. 5GHz is perfect for dashcam usage because there are no objects (walls) between camera and smartphone.
The only problem I see is choosing the channel in camera firmware for 5GHz, because different smartphones are using different channels. For example I have a 5GHz device which is not connecting to my smartphone because that device is working in channel 159 for example and my smartphone in channel 48 for example.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have to agree. The big advantage of 5ghz is transfer speeds. 2.4ghz is limited to around 300mbs in ideal conditions whereas 5ghz manages around 800mbs or nearly 3 times the speed.

On my home router, I've rarely seen anything approaching 300mbs on 2.4ghx, but have seen 800mbs over 5ghz. The main limitiation of 5ghz is penetration, however, if transferring your surely going to be either in the car with your phone, tablet or laptop, or with the camera in the home if adjusting the settings or transfering to a desktop pc. So personally I don't see any issue with using 5ghz in a dashcam as you're unlikely to ever be more than a few feet away.

I for one, also welcome Viofo's aim of focusing the A119Pro on quality.

Reactions: Mtz
no matter how fast the wifi was it still needs to read the data off the memory card and it will go via the processor to the wifi interface etc, I think there are other bottlenecks aside from wifi in current products, if wifi ever becomes a must have feature perhaps the chipset manufacturer will put some more resources into this functionality

no matter how fast the wifi was it still needs to read the data off the memory card and it will go via the processor to the wifi interface etc, I think there are other bottlenecks aside from wifi in current products, if wifi ever becomes a must have feature perhaps the chipset manufacturer will put some more resources into this functionality
Yes, on the Gitup F1 I only get about twice the speed when using 5GHz, nothing like 800mb/s, just enough to give a decent bitrate for live viewing.

Although to get 800mb/s I think you need to transmit on multiple channels simultaneously and the 5GHz wifi on a dashcam will probably only transmit on a single channel so it's never going to be as fast as a PC.

just enough to give a decent bitrate for live viewing.

fast enough for live view is probably as much as is realistically needed, copying off a whole memory card worth of recordings is not really a practical application for the product

OK, but I am sure the transfer on 5GHz is faster than 2.4GHz with actual chipsets from Novatek, for example. Maybe some influence will have also the quality of the Wi-Fi chipset used (which must be a dual band chipset because not everybody have 5GHz connection available on their devices!).
If the actual transfer of 2.4GHz on a Novatek dashcam is about 2.5MB/s then the 5GHz transfer speed is 3.5MB/s which means about 40% faster, about 40% less time to download a video from camera to the smartphone. Which means for example about 2.5 minutes to download a common 500MB Novatek video file at 5GHz instead of about 3.5 minutes at 2.4GHz.
Will be not 200% faster or more like above example from @c4rc4m but up to 40% faster with actual technology is a step forward.

enjoy,
Mtz

Will be interesting to see the new cameras form Viofo - in the market for a new camera and was thinking of the A119 but will hold off now to see the new releases - Viofo have impressed me with the support and continual development of the products so looking forward to the next evolution.

I almost regret buying my a119s a few weeks ago hahaha

I hear you. I was thinking about getting a price on a A119 this morning eating breakfast, Now I'll just wait a little, LOL!

There is no reason to regret when buying a camera with the best CMOS sensor in the world for low light conditions.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back