[Big News]Original Xiaomi Yi 1080P Car WiFi DVR is coming!!!!

Actually it should be Xiaomi Yi Dash Camera. Xiaomi is the big Chinese manufacturer and Yi in Chinese is Ant which is the real name of the Dash Camera like the Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera in white and green color.

We Chinese call it Xiaoyi Dash Cam in short form.

Oh well did I make it more complicated?

The video was recorded in 1080p at 60 fps.

Some OT

In Chinese, the meaning of
Xiao is Small, Mi is Rice, Yi is Ant
So Xiaomi is Little Rice, Xiaoyi is Little Ant

Rather different, right?

The Yi Dash Cam was mounted right behind the mirror.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 70
I received mine on 26the Feb. from gearbest. It was purchased in Jauary's presale. Since I was among the first who ordered presumably I was among the first shipments. The quality is great. I wish there were the option for continuous shooting as a choice but the camera is cool.

I finally received my Grey Xiaomi Dash Cam herein Hong Kong on March 2, 2016.
Pr-ordered from Banggood in Dec 2015 and shipped on Feb 11, 2016.
Not happy with the parcel delivered from China to Sweden Europe and then back to HK in 20 days.

Xiaomi DVR full spec:
Camera has CPU: Novatek NTK96660+/63 (with printed Yi A12)
Sensor: Aptina AR0230CS (with DR-Pix technology, eHDR 105dB, 3um pixel, Motion Compensation DLO mode)
WiFi module: Realtek: 8189 // RTL8189

Resolution 1296p is interpolated (from 1080p) so far camera doesn't has eHDR feature,
so far just running on normal DR mode (firmware limitation?), possibly next firmware upgrade will activate this feature which means night time performance will be revolutionary due to the fact that AR0230 has extreme Dynamic Range = 105dB (current Sony Exmor IMX322 has just 100dB and 2.8um Pixel)

Aptina AR0230 spec:
http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/on-semi-announces-1080p60-hdr-video.html
fddfdf.jpg

ar1.jpg

as you can see 1296p is nor real resolution (sensor has max 1088p) so everything higher is just software "trick"

201603tht.jpg

201603gfg.jpg

2016030817.jpg

rtl.png

Aptina DR-Pix technology exponation:

Android English APP (beta 1.2.1):

http://trajano.webd.pl/pliki_aw/firmware/Xiaomi_Car_dvr/YI Dashcam_1.2.1_20160304.apk

more details about this dashcam incl. more pictures from PCB, new firmware updates can be found at:
http://autowrzuta.pl/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3937&start=44

Last edited:
Camera has CPU: Novatek NTK96660+/63 (with printed Yi A12)
I don't know why XiaoYi printed another things on a Novatek chipset, here is my video about boot sound which maybe will be changed in future firmware to avoid people finding that is a Novatek chipset:
From YouTube description:
XiaoYi is advertising their chipset as A12, trying to make people think that they are using Ambarella A12 chipset, the same as the one from GoPro Hero4.
The start and shutdown sound is another proof that the chipset is a version of NT96660 chipset, created by Novatek and not by XiaoYi even they printed Yi A12 over the Novatek chipset.
XiaoYi only placed a big order to Novatek for a lower price which is smaller also because some features were removed from original NT96660 chipset, like Video Out and GPS.

If printing something, why just Yi and not XiaoYi Yi? Because is not a XiaoMi camera?

night time performance will be revolutionary due to the fact that AR0230 has extreme Dynamic Range = 105dB (current Sony Exmor IMX322 has just 100dB and 2.8um Pixel)
I read so many times about Aptinas famous 3um pixel like being something so great and now I see that 5dB more than IMX322 to be another great thing. Until now Aptina sensors never convinced me and I still consider the Omnivision sensors to be the best non-Sony CMOS used in most cameras. I expect an Omnivision sensor with these specs to be better than Aptina. Just some numbers are not enough to offer a great image.

Resolution 1296p is interpolated (from 1080p)
This is another „[Big News]Original Xiaomi Yi 1080P Car WiFi DVR is coming!!!!”
Physical volume might be less but the design and bracket will make it more intrusive and for more obvious, even if it was black instead of gold
and wobbling:

My camera came with suction cup mount, no 3M mount in the box.

enjoy,
Mtz

I don't know why XiaoYi printed another things on a Novatek chipset, here is my video about boot sound which maybe will be changed in future firmware to avoid people finding that is a Novatek chipset:
From YouTube description:
XiaoYi is advertising their chipset as A12, trying to make people think that they are using Ambarella A12 chipset, the same as the one from GoPro Hero4.
The start and shutdown sound is another proof that the chipset is a version of NT96660 chipset, created by Novatek and not by XiaoYi even they printed Yi A12 over the Novatek chipset.
XiaoYi only placed a big order to Novatek for a lower price which is smaller also because some features were removed from original NT96660 chipset, like Video Out and GPS.

If printing something, why just Yi and not XiaoYi Yi? Because is not a XiaoMi camera?

I read so many times about Aptinas famous 3um pixel like being something so great and now I see that 5dB more than IMX322 to be another great thing. Until now Aptina sensors never convinced me and I still consider the Omnivision sensors to be the best non-Sony CMOS used in most cameras. I expect an Omnivision sensor with these specs to be better than Aptina. Just some numbers are not enough to offer a great image.

This is another „[Big News]Original Xiaomi Yi 1080P Car WiFi DVR is coming!!!!”

and wobbling:

My camera came with suction cup mount, no 3M mount in the box.

enjoy,
Mtz

I think this is the startup sound originated from Sony compact camera. I've used to had an Sony camera and it sounds identically.

Maybe they can improve night video quality in future, but at current, the night video quality is far away from Git1 which used IMX322 sensor.

Maybe they can improve night video quality in future, but at current, the night video quality is far away from Git1 which used IMX322 sensor.

always best with any camera to judge them on what they offer today, improvements may come but it's never a guarantee

The XiaoYi dashcam was not set into the same way as the A3 camera. It had brightness added maybe using the EV adjustment.

How to easy see if somebody is trying to cheat: when you see blue tint where you expect to have black (dark) this means the sensor was forced to its maximum for brightness.
I don't know details about A3 camera but I am sure the Sony IMX322 can do more that what we saw in this comparison if using same settings for both cameras. I have a GitUp Git1 camera which have the same IMX322 CMOS as A3 and I will make a real comparison with correct settings for both cameras.

enjoy,
Mtz

The XiaoYi dashcam was not set into the same way as the A3 camera. It had brightness added maybe using the EV adjustment.

How to easy see if somebody is trying to cheat: when you see blue tint where you expect to have black (dark) this means the sensor was forced to its maximum for brightness.
I don't know details about A3 camera but I am sure the Sony IMX322 can do more that what we saw in this comparison if using same settings for both cameras. I have a GitUp Git1 camera which have the same IMX322 CMOS as A3 and I will make a real comparison with correct settings for both cameras.

enjoy,
Mtz

I found out that this "Cheat" wasn't bad at all.
Waiting for your comparison though..

I'm considering to buy this cam with the chinese language and I would like to ask if you know when the international version comes out will I be a able to flash the english firmware?

I'm considering to buy this cam with the chinese language and I would like to ask if you know when the international version comes out will I be a able to flash the english firmware?

There are horror stories of members bricking their cams when flashing English firmware I.e. blackvue dr750lw. Don't buy this for the sake of having it now with the hope that you can make it better later. If you take the chance, you have to be sure you can trust Xiaomi Yi to support you and help fix things. Better to buy from those that have a proven record of supporting their customers even if it means spending a few extra dollars otherwise you have to be content with the idea of owning a $70 paperweight.

Back