BlackVue DR500GW-HD firmware v1.008 (En, Rus,..)

vbx said:
Hillbilly said:
vbx said:
I'm in Orange County, CA. Using Pacific / Los Angeles time zone and not having any issues with the clock.

Yeah I reckon its dicky cards that are the trouble or people not formatting them correctly. Just trying to help find some sort of solution

I didn't format the card either. lol. The firmware I downloaded did everything. I still have my old recorded videos from a week or so back. The firmware only removed the old firmware and installed the new firmware. Left all the videos intact.

HAve done that also but also had tremendous trouble with a different card

I did the firmware update with the same sd card that worked for months no problem with 1.005. The problem is in the 1.008 upgrade. I've tried 3 known working cards including using the long sdformatter full erase. This is just a bad Firmware release from Pittasoft. I've written the company and pm Blackvue. These devices can't be that dependent on some wild formatting program. Does Blackvue not support Off the shelf high capacity sd cards?

Hillbilly said:
The new version viewer is still giving me compatibility issues with the Theme on my Windoze 7 It makes it revert to the Basic colors. None of the older versions did this ???????????????????????????????????????????????????

I have attached your post and send a request to our engineers.

defbear said:
I did the firmware update with the same sd card that worked for months no problem with 1.005. The problem is in the 1.008 upgrade. I've tried 3 known working cards including using the long sdformatter full erase. This is just amateur programming from Korea. I've written the company and pm Blackvue. These devices can't be that dependent on some wild formatting program. Does Blackvue not support Off the shelf high capacity sd cards?. Beginning to think this is a crap product with little support.

Sorry about that. We are working to fix time and date issue. I have shared your messages and posts within Pittasoft, so everybody here is well aware how much trouble we caused you. We will find a solution as soon as possible.

What I cant work out is why one person is having so much trouble and heaps of us are not having any probs at all.

There are also posts from people in the Pacific time zone not having any either.

Seems strange that it would impact on only a few and the greater majority are not having any troubles at all.

I have had the card out of my camera for two days but it still is showing the correct time when I put it back in.

So re-read the entire forum. It's not just one person as I have pointed out many times. Let me know if you want to swap cameras. Perhaps send me that card to put in my camera and see if it fixes the problem.

Hillbilly said:
What I cant work out is why one person is having so much trouble and heaps of us are not having any probs at all.

There are also posts from people in the Pacific time zone not having any either.

Seems strange that it would impact on only a few and the greater majority are not having any troubles at all.

I have had the card out of my camera for two days but it still is showing the correct time when I put it back in.

Most probably dead/discharged/faulty RTC battery is causing deafbear's issue.

BlackVue said:
Hillbilly said:

Most probably dead/discharged/faulty RTC battery is causing deafbear's issue.

Blackvue, you guys are just guessing and not working on a solution. First you guys told me to format my card. Now you want to blame a dead battery. Well I have news for you again: My Blackvue DG500HD -GW-&@$/!! Camera worked just fine,No issues what so ever until the very moment I installed 1.008. This is your software problem Blackvue. Or does 1.008 have some sort of battery killing routines built into besides not up dating the date?

Do you know where the camera gets the date from? If so we would all really like to know where you obtain the date from.

Do you honestly think my battery died the exact moment I installed 1.008?

Blackvue! Please do not just try this and then try that hoping for a solution. Do dillegent work, research and solve your problem you caused.
Tell us what progress you have made tomorrow please.

defbear said:
So re-read the entire forum. It's not just one person as I have pointed out many times. Let me know if you want to swap cameras. Perhaps send me that card to put in my camera and see if it fixes the problem.

I did say affecting "a few" and have read all the forums and all the threads as I dont have much to do theses days

Quote from last post "Seems strange that it would impact on only a few and the greater majority are not having any troubles at all."

It appears as Blackvue says that it is a hardware problem as if it was software it would affect everyone. Yes I realise 1.005 was Ok 1.007 was Ok on mine as well and now 1.008 is fine too.

Also mine is a Korean domestic version which I changed to English so would have thought that would have more problems than a genuine English version

Perhaps you should return the camera for a refund or leave it turned on for several hours to see if the battery charges. Im a bit far away to do any swaps but will be in California in June July next year LOL

You could ask if any members are near you and try your card in their camera. One way of finding out.

defbear said:

battery can fail at any time, maybe it doesn't show up as a problem though until the system is wiped clean as part of the update, not sure, the update process seems quite convoluted so hard to know

If the data and time keeps reverting to that default date and time. Then it's most likely the battery.

Maybe you should try charging the system overnight with an AC plug?

jokiin said:
defbear said:

battery can fail at any time, maybe it doesn't show up as a problem though until the system is wiped clean as part of the update, not sure, the update process seems quite convoluted so hard to know

Not even in the realm of possibility.

vbx said:
If the data and time keeps reverting to that default date and time. Then it's most likely the battery.

Maybe you should try charging the system overnight with an AC plug?

Been there done that but thank you

defbear said:
Not even in the realm of possibility.

I'm not agreeing that it's a battery problem, for them to even suggest it could be battery/hardware related though, must be saying that for a reason, how their hardware is updated though and what happens as a part of the process I have no idea as I don't work with the TI platform, seems like it's overly complex

So is it the Battery?

So could it be the battery? So before doing the 1.008 update I backed up my files. Watched the latest video, which had the correct date and checked the camera via live view on an iPad. Date and everything is fine. The camera is powered via Power Magic. I turned PM off. the camera powered down normally. Popped in the newly formatted Sandisk sd card in the camera and turned PM back on. To format the sandisk high speed, class 10 32 gb card, I used SDFormatter 4.0 with the full erase, as is always suggested. The camera powered up fine, did the upgrade fine and started normal video recording. I got back on wifi live view to find everything normal except the date displayed was 7-25-13 and the time started at 10:15. When the car is off and Power Magic off, the clock keeps ticking as the next time I power up and start recording, the clock has kept running. The clock does not reset when the power is off. I have tried everything from Pacific Time to Antarctica and the clock, although still running, has not changed to reflect the time zone choice in the firmware. It is ignored by the camera. The time also not a solid hour off as it started at 10:15. So even if it is 12 noon, the clock might say 3:23. Never updates off the GPS. The GPS syncs in a minute or two every time. The proper MPH is displayed and the GPS displays the car on the proper place on the map. I've had the camera up for hours via ac adapter with parking mode off and GPS on and working.

So do you guys really think its the battery?

Most everyone on this site is some sort of geek, boffin, hobbyist. So 1.008 has gotten out to a very few people. Most of the general public wouldn't think about going on a website and doing upgrades to their dashcams.
But there have been enough documented instances of this date problem, being on different cameras, for Blackvue to say they are (Now!) working on it.
This forum is a tiny tiny universe. We do not know where else Blackvue may be getting reports from. But we have several complaints of this issue here on this Forum alone. They will be getting complaints from elsewhere.
This 1.008 could become a real boiling issue for them if it gets out in the general public (who are not boffins).

But then how many English speaking, America residing, BlackVue cameras could there be here. Perhaps not that many. Perhaps not many more until they take this seriously and fix it.

One final thought is Which version of 1.008 did you download

The one in the link below is the one I am using and it works for me as you are aware.

I dont know if it differs in any way to the official version on the Pittasoft site but I got it before they posted the page with it all on

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3CrNKR ... sp=sharing

Had a problem like this with a set of maps for VW satnavs Two versions supposedly identical except one had data missing yet both had the same bytes in the file. One worked properly, the other didnt

Last edited by a moderator:
I went directly to the English Blackvue website and downloaded 1.008 direct from the manufactures website. I did not use the Forum link. I ASSume they are both identical. I could try the one from the link. Thank you.

Just a thought, but you could try manually setting the date through SSH using PuTTY. Would at least get you by in the short term.

Another minor problem I have tried 6 times to download the 1.008 English from the Blackvue site since 9pm yesterday to compare it to the version I got before they posted the page.

Every time it goes as slow as and only downloads a part file of about 2 mb and dies.

What is going on because I can d/load anything else no trouble.

Anyone like to upload that version somewhere so I can compare CRC etc

Hillbilly said:
Anyone like to upload that version somewhere so I can compare CRC etc

downloading now, if it comes down ok (seems to be so far) I'll upload elsewhere for you

Back