Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

Hi John,

I currently have a problem with DCV since upgrading from Mac 3.7.0 to 3.8.0, whc I did on 31st December 2021:
The initial problem is that the video wasn't shown nor was the map.

I updated via the program itself and saved the .dmg file before I ran it.

I initially thought that it might be that I'd downloaded the M1 file instead of the Intel one, so I visited the DCV website and downloaded the Intel version as I have an older Mac (2015 MacBook Pro, Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 2.5 GHz, osMac Big Sur 11.6).

I installed the 3.8.0 Intel version and had the same results.

I downgraded and installed 3.7.0 (from my folder of older DCV .dmg files) over 3.8.0 (without first deleting 3.8.0) and this improved things but this is the current status:

Files on External hard drive: DCV shows everything OK, i.e. video, audio, GPS location on (Google) map
Files on SD Card: DCV does NOT display video. Audio and GPS location on (Google) map is OK, speed shown in the (blank) video window. QuickTime Player plays files OK with audio and video.

Is this a resource (i.e. SD Card) access problem that I've caused?

So, a couple of questions:
1. What have I done wrong? As DCV updates normally go without a hitch.
2. What can I do to get 3.7.0 and preferably 3.8.0 working fully with both external hard drives and SD Cards?

I have thought of fully deleting DCV and installing 3.8.0 as a fresh new install, but I can't work out how to delete it on my Mac! :shame:
Could somebody advise me? Also, will deleting it affect my registration code and do I need to have that handy for a re-install?

Many thanks,

Last edited:
@Privateer I apologize for the issues you're experiencing. I recommend trying the "hard reset" procedure in whichever version of DCV you are using:
  • Quit Dashcam Viewer
  • Hold down the Shift key
  • Start Dashcam Viewer
  • You will see a dialog box come up asking if you’d like to Reset All Settings. Click the "Yes" button
This clears out Dashcam Viewer's settings and resets to defaults. If you're using a registered version of Dashcam Viewer, yes, you will need to re-enter your registration code again (I can provide this to you if you can't find it). Then try loading your videos again and see if everything is back to normal.

Not to bore with details but for those that are interested, here's little background info about Mac Dashcam Viewer v3.8.0.

The actual source code differences between 3.7.0 and 3.8.0 are very very minor. But v3.8.0 is different than earlier versions in a few significant ways. First of all, I moved the entire project from a 2015 MacBook Pro (Intel) to a 2020 MacBook Air (M1). That is not only a major change in CPU architecture, but also a change in macOS version (Big Sur vs Mojave), a change in Xcode compiler version, a change in build process (Intel+arm64 vs just Intel), a change in auxiliary library builds, and a change in application signing, bundling, and entitlement process. Although both Intel and M1 versions of 3.8.0 work for me, I suspect one of these differences is the culprit that's causing you grief (probably the last item I mentioned). I will be investigating this further and come to the bottom of it.

John

Last edited:
I have encountered similar issues with a speedcam database program I supply. Which Robert knows :)

When I bought a new PC recently and loaded Visual Studio 2022 it tried to recompile using the latest .net architecture and I had to manually switch it back to use .net 4 so all current installations would work.

Hi John,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

I recommend trying the "hard reset" procedure in whichever version of DCV you are using:
  • Quit Dashcam Viewer
  • Hold down the Shift key
  • Start Dashcam Viewer
  • You will see a dialog box come up asking if you’d like to Reset All Settings. Click the "Yes" button
This clears out Dashcam Viewer's settings and resets to defaults. If you're using a registered version of Dashcam Viewer, yes, you will need to re-enter your registration code again (I can provide this to you if you can't find it). Then try loading your videos again and see if everything is back to normal.

I was lucky, I found my registration code from December 2016! (y)

I did the above and then installed 3.8.0 (Intel). I loaded up a new SD card with today's dashcam footage and everything was OK, the video showed, speed in the video window, and location on Google Map. This was before I made any changes in Preferences.

One thing that was 'slightly wrong' was the video was stretched horizontally. So I went to Preferences | General and changed:

Temperature units from F to C
Aspect Ratio from Fill to Maintain

With Aspect Ratio as "Maintain" setting, I get a blank video
With Aspect Ratio as "Fill" setting, I get the video working
I have switched numerous times and the above stays true.

I also lost the Google Map on the first occasion that I changed the Preferences | General settings but after restarting DCV I'm afraid that I cannot recreate the problem as the Google Maps have stayed operational for all other times.

Summing up
It appears to be the use of the Aspect Ratio setting in "Maintain" that causes the problem. This is easy to live with as I have found that the Aspect Ratio "Fill" setting is OK to use. As 3.8.0 would have taken the Preferences from 3.7.0, this makes sense as I would have had the Aspect Ratio in the "Maintain" setting. Your advice to Hard Reset DCV brought the Aspect Ratio problem to the surface.

Once again, many thanks for your help and advice.

Kind Regards,
Robert.

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.1 Released

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.1 was released today for both Mac and Windows with the following new improvements:

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for Nexar Beam Dash Cam.
Bug Fixes:
  • [macOS] Fixed build issues with Mac Dashcam Viewer introduced in v3.8.0 (Intel build).
  • [macOS] Temporarily removed Apple Silicon version of Dashcam Viewer to perform additional regression testing. In the meantime, please use the Intel version of Mac Dashcam Viewer which works well on M1 Macs.

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.1 with Nexar Beam dashcam

Dashcam Viewer Plus and Dashcam Viewer PRO are PC/Mac applications that allow you to play your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com).

The free demo version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

Hello @traveler,

I've purchased a license for the Plus edition since I use the program a lot in my dashcam reviews. I have run into a problem with v3.8.1 with regard to the proper processing of the GPS data from the video files. I typically load one set of video files into Dashcam Viewer using the "Open Video Files" option (especially before I purchased a paid version).

I was finding that the video files generated by a VIOFO T130 3-channel dashcam would sometimes extract the GPS data correctly and then another time not. It would sometimes show timestamp values in the data from a time period before the current video file and other times the timestamp was based in year 2106. Very strange. At first, I believed it to be a problem with the T130 files. I used another program to extract the GPS data into GPX files and found the T130 files were just fine.

I also disabled the GPS caching feature in Dashcam Viewer and cleared the cache and that did not make any difference.

When I select the video file using "Open Video Files", the problem will occur at random. When I use the "Open Video Folder", the files in the folder are opened and all of the GPS data will be extracted and the trip is presented on the map correctly. When I open one of the same (front video and it auto opens the rear) files in the, sometimes the timestamps are okay, but all of the GPS data values area zeros and the map panel will display nothing.

So far, the "Open Video Folder" method results in GPS data extracted from all files in the folder correctly. The "Open Video Files" method results in random good or bad timestamps and/or zeros in the GPS data. I also found that if I use the "Open Video Files" and select multiple video files from the folder, the GPS data is extracted correctly.

GPS data example when file opened individually:
dashcam_viewer_single_file_open.jpg

GPS data example when same file opened as part of multiple files being selected either via "Open Video Folder" or selecting multiple video files using "Open Video Files":
dashcam_viewer_multiple_file_open.jpg

One last example of opening one file at a time but this time the timestamps are from year 2106 (same video file as before):
dashcam_viewer_single_file_open_future_dates.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @rcg530, thank you for the very thorough bug report. I'm not familiar with the T130 and don't list it as a 'compatible' dashcam on our website. Nonetheless, I want to run this strange problem to ground. Can you send me two F/R pairs of consecutive videos so I can attempt to duplicate the issue? You can send me large files using https://wetransfer.com. Thx!

Hi @rcg530, thank you for the very thorough bug report. I'm not familiar with the T130 and don't list it as a 'compatible' dashcam on our website. Nonetheless, I want to run this strange problem to ground. Can you send me two F/R pairs of consecutive videos so I can attempt to duplicate the issue? You can send me large files using https://wetransfer.com. Thx!
I sent you a PM with the info for the files and how to reproduce the issue with those files.

@traveler
Could you make the software to save the GPS track on a transparent background so it can be overlaid video, like some do with footage from GPS enabled action cameras.
The option to do this have just been requested again, and i figure it would not be a super hard feature to implement ?

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.2 Released

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.2 was released today for both Mac and Windows with the following new improvements:

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for Viofo T130 (thanks @rcg530)
  • Added support for Vantrue N2S (thanks Andrew S.)
  • Added second channel support for Blueskysea B4k (thanks @rcg530)
  • Reported compatible with Garmin 57 (thanks Simon G.)
New Features:
  • Added zoom-in and zoom-out toolbar buttons for both the main channel and the second channel videos.
dcv_v3.8.2.jpg

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.2 showing Vantrue N2S dashcam video and GPS data.

Dashcam Viewer Plus and Dashcam Viewer PRO are PC/Mac applications that allow you to play your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com).

The free demo version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

- John

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.2 Released

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.2 was released today for both Mac and Windows with the following new improvements:

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for Viofo T130 (thanks @rcg530)
  • Added support for Vantrue N2S (thanks Andrew S.)
  • Added second channel support for Blueskysea B4k (thanks @rcg530)
  • Reported compatible with Garmin 57 (thanks Simon G.)
New Features:
  • Added zoom-in and zoom-out toolbar buttons for both the main channel and the second channel videos.
dcv_v3.8.2.jpg

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.2 showing Vantrue N2S dashcam video and GPS data.

- John
I'd be very careful about using Dashcam Viewer Plus and Dashcam Viewer Pro as this appears to be a part-time gig for the owner, John @traveler.

I have had the same exact experience with him recently as I had when I originally purchased his program/application. The owner DOES NOT return email communications! - - What are the odds of having the exact same problem two times in a row with a business? Frankly, it should never happen even once!

I have sent 4 emails to the owner since February 22nd and have NOT received a single reply.

They say "Customers don't care how much you know about your product or your service until they know how much you care about them... ". - - In this instance, and when I actually purchased my program as well, it is quite clear how much the owner cares about his customers.

This is just like choosing a dashcam Company; you are much better off choosing one that offers good customer support, rather than none at all.

?

This is a very competent viewer and I've had no issues.

My guess is that this isn't a 'company' but a hobby project, like my CSV to GPX Converter for Garmin SatNavs and as such time is limited.

However, the post you quote shows a range of Dashcams now incorporated/compatible so shows an ongoing project.

?

This is a very competent viewer and I've had no issues.

My guess is that this isn't a 'company' but a hobby project, like my CSV to GPX Converter for Garmin SatNavs and as such time is limited.

However, the post you quote shows a range of Dashcams now incorporated/compatible so shows an ongoing project.
Agree entirely.

Hi y'awll,
I personally, have found John to be very quick at responding to my very few emails.
As mentioned, it's not a full time project.
Maybe he has a full time job + family + lots of other things to contend with.

If "StrayCam" has a problem with DCV, then just don't use it.

PTN:
I've actually had a +ve reply from John when I complimented him on creating such a great viewer & for quickly helping me with a minor problem.
He mentioned that he hardly/never receives any +ve feedback for his assistance & for creating the DCV.

That's all.

Stay safe.

I have the viewer, but i never really use it as i am only interested in the video aspect of dashcams, i do certainly not need to see on a map where i drive, or maybe have crashed.
Back in the day i did use the dead registrator viewer a lot, but i think mainly its editing features making it possible to export a segment of the video, but as i found out that is just as easy using a regular video editing software.

I appreciate what John do, even if what he do i dont use, that is why i like all his posts about updates he have made to his software.
CUZ what he do on his own accord have a positive impact on what i do with this hobby, if what he did had the opposite effect, my feelings for him and his product would of course be opposite too.
If someone made a new OS for my computer so i was able to ditch Windows i would do that in a heartbeat,,,,,, please do not say Linux

I'd be very careful about using Dashcam Viewer Plus and Dashcam Viewer Pro as this appears to be a part-time gig for the owner, John @traveler.

I have had the same exact experience with him recently as I had when I originally purchased his program/application. The owner DOES NOT return email communications! - - What are the odds of having the exact same problem two times in a row with a business? Frankly, it should never happen even once!

I have sent 4 emails to the owner since February 22nd and have NOT received a single reply.

They say "Customers don't care how much you know about your product or your service until they know how much you care about them... ". - - In this instance, and when I actually purchased my program as well, it is quite clear how much the owner cares about his customers.

This is just like choosing a dashcam Company; you are much better off choosing one that offers good customer support, rather than none at all.

Feel like I need to set the record straight here:

@StrayCat I responded to your original email 1-hour and 24-minutes after you sent it (see below).

When you sent your 4th email, which included insults and the threat: "I would like a reply from you soon or I will provide feedback to others on the DashCamTalk forum" I responded that you should check your Junk email box since sometimes my emails end up in there. I also suggested contacting your ISP if that doesn't help.

Since you weren't responding to my emails and you did not reveal your DashcamTalk handle, I had no way to connect with you. I think it's a shame you chose this public forum to air your grievances with me and potentially damage my business, rather than simply PM me. I do try to respond to all emails promptly and take customer service very seriously.

Date: February 22, 2022 at 6:51:13 PM PST
To: xxxxxx
Cc: yyyyyyy
Hi xxxxxx,

I’m not familiar with the DR750X. If you send me a pair of front/rear videos I’ll see if I can make DCV compatible. You can send me large files using https://wetransfer.com.

Thanks,
John

Earthshine Software, LLC
john@earthshinesw.com
http://dashcamviewer.com
http://mydroneviewer.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2022 5:27 PM
To: yyyyyyy
Subject:

Hi John. I had purchased the Dashcam viewer app for Windows and was using it with my Viofo A129 Duo. I recently purchased a Blackvue DR750X 2ch LTE Plus dashcam to use instead of my Viofo. Will your app work with my new dashcam? Thanks for any info on this.

-xxxxxx

When you sent your 4th email, which included insults and the threat: "I would like a reply from you soon or I will provide feedback to others on the DashCamTalk forum"

I think it's a shame you chose this public forum to air your grievances with me and potentially damage my business,

As I've been learning myself recently, @StrayCam is often habitually adversarial, antagonistic and abusive, often gratuitously. It wouldn't surprise me to see him start attacking both of us here in this thread.

In any event, I can only speak for myself but I'm confident others would agree, I've always found you to be courteous, friendly, responsive and professional and we all appreciate the hard work and dedication you've shown in developing and constantly improving DashCam Viewer since you first introduced it to us eight years ago.

I am just glad i am such a nice guy, no one could ever get mad with me :angelic:

Back