HELP! SG Acting up again!

Can somebody tell me how to cut the cigarette plug off the SG9663DC and hardwire it. Can I use part of the piggy back thingy I used for the previous camera?

I am not doing a permanent install on my SGGCX2 yet. So I cut the end off and made it more modular so I can still move it among different vehicles.
How can I do that with mine?

So to hard wire can you send me the kit I need? I don't want to use the cigarette lighter all the time.

You can buy SGDCHW from Amazon on our web site and I’ll send you one. Call if you need help selecting the right set.

Last edited:
You just cut off the wire just above the plug that go into the cigarette lighter socket in your car, this should leave you with a foot or two between the end of the wire and the black box ( the PSU ) on the wire.
Remove the outer black insulation on the end and that should reveal the 2 wires for power.

I cant recall if they are the normal red ( positive ) and black ( negative ) color, maybe someone else can fill in on that.
You can then solder or crimp the wires to the wire you have coming off the old hard wire kit, or you can get a new piggy back fuse connector and put that in the fuse box in place of the one from the old hard wire kit.

If you decide to cut the wire from the old hard wire kit you of course have to make sure there is no power on it when you cut the wire, but that is probably the most easy way to get going, and if you cut the wire near to the fuse box the old hard wire kit should still be usable for something else some day.

Unrelated but similar:

This fluctuation power from a sub par power source ( in my case a really long and poor quality USB cable ) was the reason i dident have a working rear camera the day a few years ago when i got rear ended.
But it was my own fault i had noticed that some times the camera dident start, but i was just too lazy to do something about it at the time ( winter and i dont have access to a garage )

I am pretty sure your old hard wire kit are causing you the same intermit problems, but using the factory PSU that came with the DC should fix you and the camera up really good.

Last edited:
How can I do that with mine?
I had the parts just laying around from other projects to make mine more modular. If you want to do the same, you would need to buy the connectors. I used common 5.5x2.1 barrel connectors, soldering red to red and black to black. They are red ( positive ) and black ( negative ) like kamkar1 was thinking. For you, I think you should buy the SGDCHW that they suggested. Sorry SG team for confusing him.

I dont think hard wire ( kit ) are needed, as i understand it captain dont plan to use parking mode.
So just hard wire for a open cigarette lighter slot and wires out of the way.

So if my cigarette lighter is full time power should I not use the cigarette wire?

My wifes car actually has a circuit labled ACC. If your truck has one, this would be the perfect one to connect into. Other ones that would work are radio or electric windows.

It can be a tough do with some cars, as the computer may sense the door being open and keep the time-delayed circuits active till the door is closed and the circuit times out. Arrange your LED test light to stay connected by itself. Pick a fuse to try, then close the door and wait awhile. If the light is still on after say fifteen minutes it is full-time hot. If possible avoid fuses related to safety functions: never an airbag, exterior lighting, or braking control circuit. If the horn only is on a separate fuse that is almost always on full-time if you can't find anything better. If you don't want to fool with things, a car audio shop can usually do the install for you. Dealerships tend to not install or assist with anything non-factory such as dashcams. Beware that some cars have a fuly controlled power scheme now which puts all circuits into standby after awhile; with those even wiring straight to the battery can cause an error code to occur in the computer as nothing else has been allowed for in the design.

Phil

I just ordered the SGDCHW. It looks easy enough to install. I have a 32g card I bought for testing. Should I get a 64g card? And do I have to format it? Also, how can I order a lens filter for the rear camera?

I just ordered the SGDCHW. It looks easy enough to install.

Ok good be sure to update to newly released firmware 1.34
See the very first post on this thread.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9663dc-beta-firmware.33142/

I can walk you through over the phone if needed.

Should I get a 64g card? And do I have to format it?

It depends how much video you want to record, Epic road trips vs just the last accident. You can use any size card up to 400gb. (Sandisk A1 is good) Any brand new card that is larger than 32GB you’ll be automatically prompted by the camera the first time it’s powered on. Camera screen will say format card, ok/cancel. Select ok.

How can I order a lens filter for the rear camera?

Yes, If you search our web site for CPL you’ll find it. You can also search amazon for “SGCPL”

I dont think hard wire ( kit ) are needed, as i understand it captain dont plan to use parking mode.
Kamkar, I ordered the wireing kit, decided I want to use parking mode. Will this wire allow me to do it? How does it work, and I am hoping the hardwire I can do myself, I did the SG9665GC camera. Then I'll have to figure how to load new firmware. I'm not a geek genius like some of you guys. I don't really care how it works. I just want it to.

I use my cigarette lighter for my GPS.

The dedicated SGDCHW hard wire kit for the DC are stand alone, so when you get it you dont need the PSU that came with the DC.
Wiring it in should not be that big of a problem.

Just need to get one that have the parts that fit with the kind of fuses in your fuse box.

I have a Ford and the cigarette lighter works with the engine off. So my camera blinks when I turn it off so is it still recording? Is this the way the parking mode works?

I have a Ford and the cigarette lighter works with the engine off. So my camera blinks when I turn it off so is it still recording? Is this the way the parking mode works?

No please re-read my previous replies about NOT letting the SG9663DC be powered like that after the engine is off. Please Call me again and I’ll better explain it to you.

No I think you misunderstood me. I just noticed it does keep blinking when the engine is turned off, but I pull the plug. Just wondering how the parking mode works.

Back