HK3 Hardwire Kit Suddenly Stopped Working After a Few Months?

rochyjz

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi all,
First time poster here so let me know if I have breached any rules or etiquettes.

In November 2022, I purchased a Viofo A139 with the HK3 hardwire kit. I did all the wiring myself and everything was working fine until now. My camera now refuses to turn on.
After some diagnosing, I have found that my camera still works when plugged in to a different power source (i.e at home on a wall socket), so it must be the HK3. The red LED on the voltage cutoff selector is still on, so I don't think there is anything wrong with my wiring or the power source to the HK3, so it must be the cabling itself or something.
Some extra information that may or may not help:
  1. I have had battery issues in the past with my car (left a light on and drained it) and ever since I get low battery warnings on my dashboard. I have taken it to a battery tech and they said the battery is still good to go for a year or so, and the camera was working fine after the battery drain until now.
  2. On a road trip over December, my camera would occasionally shut down due to the heat or being in the sun. After the first time this happened on the trip, the camera would occasionally boot loop itself even when the weather wasn't that hot (18 degrees) and was cloudy. I always had air-conditioning on when the camera would overheat or boot loop.
  3. After realizing the camera stopped turning on, sometimes it would still randomly turn on. I've also tried plugging on other things (i.e my USB-C earbuds case) to see if it would charge, and it would some times, but now the cable just seems dead and nothing would charge.
  4. I have a Mazda Axela Hybrid. I am using the A139 Duo, so I have the rear facing camera too.
  5. I have set the voltage cutoff to the minimum and power cycled through to see if the cutoff was too high, but the camera still doesn't turn on, and other things I've tried to plug in to the HK3 still does not charge.
My voltmeter at home is broken so I haven't been able to check my battery, but I do intend to as soon as possible. Was hoping anyone has any other ideas or suggestions on what the problem could be or things to check.
Hardwiring it myself took a lot of effort having to pull off all the panels and routing the wire to the back) so I would really hope that I don't have to replace the kit. I am hopeful because the red LED is on which to me indicates that it is still working.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

The red led inside the converter box indicates power to the red wire and voltage is above the low voltage cutoff setting. I would double check your connections to the yellow wire as no power there will prevent the camera from turning on.

I assume you have the HK3-C and not the HK3? Just want to confirm your not using a mini-USB to USB-C adapter.

Yes I have the HK3-C, my mistake. I will double check the yellow wire but I'm pretty sure that one is ok.
Thanks for your help!

Back