JooVuu X Camera

On action cams it seem common to me to not have any lens protection, apart from the underwater housings.

Thats the #1 thing i like about the up and comming Panasonic HX-A1, it have a screw on IR cut filter you can unscrew and replace with a regular glass for recording in night mode using a IR light source.

On My SLR cameras i have allways used a "filter" of some kind on the most used lenses to protect the glass in them, for the most a UV filter.

I completely disagree. For example, I've noticed that when I take the mini 0806 camera out of my vehicle and place it down on my desk it is quite easy to have it roll over unexpectedly onto the lens surface. The design is also very prone to fingerprints on the lens when handled compared to other cameras I own, dash cam or otherwise. ALL lenses should have inherent abrasion protection as part of their design.
I put a fingerprint on my 0806 again just today! There is just nothing there to warn you when you pick it up, a little ring around the lens and you would feel when your fingers got too close.

At least with the 0806 you can safely stand it on it's end and it is then very stable. Looks like the Joovuu X will sit stable on it's bottom but it would still be good to have some lens protection in case it gets knocked and spins around hitting the lens on something abrasive. Need to make sure the tripod socket isn't proud of the surface making it easy to spin.

I put a fingerprint on my 0806 again just today! There is just nothing there to warn you when you pick it up, a little ring around the lens and you would feel when your fingers got too close.

At least with the 0806 you can safely stand it on it's end and it is then very stable. Looks like the Joovuu X will sit stable on it's bottom but it would still be good to have some lens protection in case it gets knocked and spins around hitting the lens on something abrasive. Need to make sure the tripod socket isn't proud of the surface making it easy to spin.

My 0806 is currently deployed as a lateral side cam in the rear window of a pick-up truck and using the menu controls to change a setting or format the card in that location can be a little awkward. I can't count how many times I've absentmindedly put a finger on the lens without meaning to. A lip around the lens would give tactile feedback when you're handling the camera from behind. Also, many times I've stood the camera down on it's flat end on my desk but I find that when a USB cable is connected it can easily get tipped over when you least expect it. Again, a protective lip circling the lens would be most welcome.

A protective lip or protrusion is a common scheme for protecting lenses and screens on many well designed products. For example, I have a cordless phone from Panasonic that has a tiny little protruding strip of plastic molded right above the LCD screen so that when you place the phone down on a table the screen is perhaps a millimeter away from the surface. Another phone I have without such a lip has a very scratched screen. Many smartphone cases have such a lip for the same reason. Looking around, many dash cams are designed like this but some are not.

Since we are discussing the JooVuu X it is my view that this would be a welcomed feature although is some cases the design of the lens used will dictate what type of lens protective cowling is possible. Actually, speaking of all this, apart from protecting the lens, an integral or detachable lens hood would be another welcomed addition to this camera. Not only would it offer physical protection for the lens but it would improve image quality in an automotive environment known for challenging oblique reflections.

My 0806 is currently deployed as a lateral side cam in the rear window of a pick-up truck and using the menu controls to change a setting or format the card in that location can be a little awkward. I can't count how many times I've absentmindedly put a finger on the lens without meaning to. A lip around the lens would give tactile feedback when you're handling the camera from behind. Also, many times I've stood the camera down on it's flat end on my desk but I find that when a USB cable is connected it can easily get tipped over when you least expect it. Again, a protective lip circling the lens would be most welcome.

A protective lip or protrusion is a common scheme for protecting lenses and screens on many well designed products. For example, I have a cordless phone from Panasonic that has a tiny little protruding strip of plastic molded right above the LCD screen so that when you place the phone down on a table the screen is perhaps a millimeter away from the surface. Another phone I have without such a lip has a very scratched screen. Many smartphone cases have such a lip for the same reason. Looking around, many dash cams are designed like this but some are not.

Since we are discussing the JooVuu X it is my view that this would be a welcomed feature although is some cases the design of the lens used will dictate what type of lens protective cowling is possible. Actually, speaking of all this, apart from protecting the lens, an integral or detachable lens hood would be another welcomed addition to this camera. Not only would it offer physical protection for the lens but it would improve image quality in an automotive environment known for challenging oblique reflections.
Talking of scratches, the Joovuu X could do with 4 0.5 mm high feet moulded onto the bottom so that the big flat surface doesn't get covered in scratches every time you put it down.

Talking of scratches, the Joovuu X could do with 4 0.5 mm high feet moulded onto the bottom so that the big flat surface doesn't get covered in scratches every time you put it down.
I like the idea of lens protection, but I'm not a fan of feet moulded onto the bottom of the case.

It's easy enough to add stick on feet if people want them.

Hi everyone,
Sorry for being quiet, we're going to be releasing an update to our website soon which will be laying the groundworks for our infrastructure for the camera (front end anyway). We'll also be releasing some alpha footage of the camera (this is just to give a quick update and the footage will be improved before release), and we'll also be releasing a 'tour' of the camera app soon.

It's coming together nicely and just wanted to keep you guys in the loop. The beta stage of the camera is looking to be about mid-late June. We expect all functionality to be implemented fully by then. The beta testers will be announced around 15th June so still plenty of time to sign up at www.x.joovuu.com (bottom of the page).

Any questions as usual just holla.

Cheers,

Dan

Good luck with this one Dan, this should be a cracker :)

I like the idea of lens protection, but I'm not a fan of feet moulded onto the bottom of the case.

It's easy enough to add stick on feet if people want them.
I also think 4 tiny feet a bad option as it would reduce the mount desing options (ie avoiding sliding insertions) I would prefer a lip design. Recesed lens is a double sword option as it also gets faster dust which becomes difficult to remove on the ridges.

For the lens protection, I realy think that the Joovuu-X would realy get benefits of having a lens mounting bracket (steel thread or magnet ?) to allow placing of optional wide angled lens hood, ruber lens cap, protective clear lens, polarized lens, smoked lens, or even IR filter lens which could be mounted by default to replace the IR filter on the sensor but could also be optionaly removed to allow IR enhanced night footages (through an also optional external IR bulb kit to put on the car bumpers/grils/hood/headlights activated through the headlight switch or the hardwire kit)

... and the best would be to be able to mount those lense over each other like we can do with cokin filters since decades on SLR

I also think 4 tiny feet a bad option as it would reduce the mount desing options (ie avoiding sliding insertions) I would prefer a lip design. Recesed lens is a double sword option as it also gets faster dust which becomes difficult to remove on the ridges.

For the lens protection, I realy think that the Joovuu-X would realy get benefits of having a lens mounting bracket (steel thread or magnet ?) to allow placing of optional wide angled lens hood, ruber lens cap, protective clear lens, polarized lens, smoked lens, or even IR filter lens which could be mounted by default to replace the IR filter on the sensor but could also be optionaly removed to allow IR enhanced night footages (through an also optional external IR bulb kit to put on the car bumpers/grils/hood/headlights activated through the headlight switch or the hardwire kit)

... and the best would be to be able to mount those lense over each other like we can do with cokin filters since decades on SLR

Hi everyone,
we are working on adding just a tiny lens protector, it will be raised above the lens by about 0.5mm (1/2 mm). This hopefully should be implemented for the beta stage cameras.

We also are working on a system where you can mount a variety of lens's over the current camera lens, however, as we are not made of money these ideas are on the back burner until we have a bit of spare cash. We have the designs, viability etc etc, however it literally comes down to money. Once we have enough we'll put these into production.

Cheers,

Dan

Will the lens be able to be rotated inside the case so this could work for a helmet side cam?

Hi @country_hick
This is something we are looking at. However, at the moment we do not think it will have this capability, but I am not sure just yet, as I have not received our daily update on the progress of the camera.

Kind regards,

Dan

Dan (JooVuu),

When you use the "Sign-up" box at the bottom of http://www.x.joovuu.com/ when you press the "Subscribe" button it just takes you to an "Active Campaign" log-in page.

I found a message on your own forum detailing this and giving a working link http://joovuu1.activehosted.com/form/1232

Trust you can fix the link on the main page.

Regards,
Tony.
----------------------------------------------------------
Mini 0805 GPS
Interested in JooVuu-X

Dan (JooVuu),

When you use the "Sign-up" box at the bottom of http://www.x.joovuu.com/ when you press the "Subscribe" button it just takes you to an "Active Campaign" log-in page.

I found a message on your own forum detailing this and giving a working link http://joovuu1.activehosted.com/form/1232

Trust you can fix the link on the main page.

Regards,
Tony.
----------------------------------------------------------
Mini 0805 GPS
Interested in JooVuu-X

Hi @Tony Walker
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we're getting this looked at now.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi everyone,
New website (www.x.joovuu.com) is launched. This website has far more information on now, and is laying the ground work for the camera to go into beta. We've solved the beta testing problem sign up thing. We hope you like it!

We'll be updating our blog that will have a big update about our happenings shortly.

Kind regards,

Dan

Hi @Tony Walker
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we're getting this looked at now.

Cheers,
Dan
This is the problem I was referring to a couple weeks ago.

If we previously signed up using the other sign up link, should we have received any kind of confirmation email?

This is the problem I was referring to a couple weeks ago.

If we previously signed up using the other sign up link, should we have received any kind of confirmation email?

Hi Map
I do apologise we should have got this problem fixed, I've looked over your post and I just forgot about it. I do apologise. It is fixed now though :). If you have signed up for the beta you are already signed up. You do not need to re-sign up.

Cheers,

Dan

Reactions: map
Thanks Dan. Definitely working now.

I've noticed a minor issue on the webpage. In the "Take a Tour of the JooVuu X" section, the text in two of the left side squares ("Slim" and "Camera Information") is getting clipped on the left-hand side. Same behaviour on Firefox 37/0/2, IE9 and Chrome 39.0

Looking forward to seeing some sample video.

Regards,
Tony.

Hi JooVuu (I meant Dan), I just noticed this close-up pic which shows some crude adhesion around the lens, is it just a prototype on the pic?

Yours-2.png

Back