JooVuu X Camera

too many products have decisions made by accountants and marketing teams rather than designers and engineers, yes there are realities of doing business that mean costs must be controlled but some very stupid decisions happen sometimes as a result

I might add to this that too many products seem designed by engineers who have little practical experience with the particular products they are hired to design.

I agree it would be nice, whether it could be done affordably though is the challenge, I'm sure @JooVuu want to deliver a premium product but still need to spend their money where it matters most

Depending on the product, a really nice ten dollar case might actually be a worthwhile premium if it added enough value to the purchase.

I might add to this that too many products seem designed by engineers who have little practical experience with the particular products they are hired to design.

I think when there's too much engineering this shows up in ergonomics, the better the design is the less instructions you need to operate it, engineers can over complicate things at times

too many products have decisions made by accountants and marketing teams rather than designers and engineers, yes there are realities of doing business that mean costs must be controlled but some very stupid decisions happen sometimes as a result

I agree it would be nice, whether it could be done affordably though is the challenge, I'm sure @JooVuu want to deliver a premium product but still need to spend their money where it matters most

We actually have some packaging that is similar to this concept however we still have yet to price it up. It wouldn't be a hard plastic case but it would be able to act a carrying case. I'll post details once we know if it is viable. Even if it is not we might show you guys anyway.

Jokiins right, accountants usually rule, money sadly makes the world goes round, though luckily I'm both designer, accountant, and to some degree engineer. So we'll see what is created haha

Kind regards,

Dan

I think when there's too much engineering this shows up in ergonomics, the better the design is the less instructions you need to operate it, engineers can over complicate things at times

Car radios are an excellent example of this. Factory radios are almost always simple and intuitive to use. Aftermarket radios with added features offer less buttons to do more tasks. I have even seen a radio I could not figure out how to turn on. My current car radio has a stupid setting. It searches for the strongest radio signals instead of going up or down the dial to find the next station I might want to listen to. Figuring out how defeat that preset is always aggravating. I dislike having to figure out and remember which unlabeled or badly labeled button does what.

I could be one of those guys whose VCR (and tons of other things) is still flashing 12:00 because it is to difficult to figure out how to set the time.

Self explanatory products are always a sign of a savvy and talented designer or engineer. Then again there are idiots who get paid big bucks to design things they know nothing about that turn out difficult to use and don't function well.

Hi everyone,
Here's just a quick 'teaser' (if you can have them for apps?). This is the main page for the iOS app. This is not the final version (design wise etc it is, but some of the icons are not alligned perfectly yet), but colouring and layout is right.

We've gone for simplicity so you can navigate quickly and efficiently.

Any feedback is welcome - please keep it on topic!

Cheers,

Dan

Attachments

• ios mockup main screen.jpg
    ios mockup main screen.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: map
Perhaps something along the lines of a neoprene mouse case might be suitable?

I use one for my mobius. The case is light, compact, adds enough protection to prevent damage from bumps and drops, and they cost very little.

I would not have thought the design – the actual physical look of the case would be so expensive.

Hi everyone,
Here's a blog article on the costs of creating a camera: http://x.joovuu.com/blog/2015/05/19/the-hidden-costs-of-creating-a-product/

It only BRIEFLY runs through some of them to give everyone a brief idea of creating a camera.

Hope you enjoy it and gives you guys a bit of an insight.

Cheers,
Dan

Some great info.
R&D costs are not recouped on the initial run except in few areas like medical inventions where if one develops a cancer treatment pill, one can charge $100k for it and it'll sell.
Other areas are for longer run with increasing customer base.
If someone wants to make quick buck in dashcam, there are gazillions of Chinese companies re-badging same dashcam with their logo and avoid all the initial R&D costs. ;)

Some great info.
R&D costs are not recouped on the initial run except in few areas like medical inventions where if one develops a cancer treatment pill, one can charge $100k for it and it'll sell.
Other areas are for longer run with increasing customer base.
If someone wants to make quick buck in dashcam, there are gazillions of Chinese companies re-badging same dashcam with their logo and avoid all the initial R&D costs. ;)

the break even point for a new camera design is generally around 10,000 pieces

Just a quick show of hands,
rather than building a dedicated MAC/PC program for the camera would would prefer just an online version which you access via the website?

Kind regards,

Dan

I still have a desktop computer. I prefer being able to do things on my own machine. Some day the cloud could break. On that day I want to be able to do what I want at home.

Online programs can easily disappear when the site owner decides people do not need that any longer or when a site upgrade happens. 15 years from now will the online program still be there? The dash cam might still be working.

Just to clarify: there will be a dedicated, iOS, Android (and we hope Windows Phone) App. This is just about the desktops.

Cheers,

Dan

I still have a desktop computer. I prefer being able to do things on my own machine. Some day the cloud could break. On that day I want to be able to do what I want at home.

Online programs can easily disappear when the site owner decides people do not need that any longer or when a site upgrade happens. 15 years from now will the online program still be there? The dash cam might still be working.

I agree with the idea of not wanting a cloud based GUI to program the camera but the notion that you'll still want to use your 15 year old camera, assuming it still works or that your 15 year old software will still run on your current computer of the day seems to be very impractical.

Just a quick show of hands,
rather than building a dedicated MAC/PC program for the camera would would prefer just an online version which you access via the website?

Kind regards,

Dan
How else are you sending the program? in a CD with the camera?

When you mean via the website, does it run in cloud and users have to upload the videos for playback or you mean to download from website?
Not clear.

How else are you sending the program? in a CD with the camera?

When you mean via the website, does it run in cloud and users have to upload the videos for playback or you mean to download from website?
Not clear.

I have no doubt that JooVuu intends to offer a link for downloading the GUI software client to your computer the same way it is done with the Mobius and the Innovv C series. In this day and age pressing a CD with the software is a waste of money and resources.

I'm also confident that it will not require uploading videos to the internet to view them. Imagine the bandwidth involved if we were all asked to do such a thing.

Dan is talking about an online GUI interface for the camera rather than having the interface on your computer. It would most likely just save a config file to your camera and perhaps a copy to your desktop for back-up.

Last edited:
Back