JooVuu X Camera

Thanks Dan that would be good. Thanks for the pictures Chris. I personally could use this method of in-line GPS in the power cord, but I know it won't suit everyone.

If I pre order what do I get, the main camera unit only I assume?

Thanks Dan that would be good. Thanks for the pictures Chris. I personally could use this method of in-line GPS in the power cord, but I know it won't suit everyone.

If I pre order what do I get, the main camera unit only I assume?

Hey Kevster,
Pre-ordering you get:
1 x JooVuu X
1 x Magnetic mount
1 x GPS charging cable (3m in length)
1 x Data USB cable
1 x Quick start guide
1 x thank you note.

Kind regards

Dan

......It's showing accurate speed but still needs fine tuning......

On the subject of speed, speed logging, refresh rate and accuracy.....

My Cobra 840 only updates speed every few seconds, meaning that at times the lag can mean it says as much as 20mph when I'm clearly stationary! Speed is accurate when at a steady cruise.

My Mivue 538 updates once per second. Speed is accurate.

My Nextbase 402G (now dead) updated what was stamped on the screen once per second (*looked at some saved recordings from it this morning and edited this post*) but in its media player it was more often, possibly multiple times per second.
But the speed on the video was always showing 1mph, occasionally 2mph, less than my actual speed, and 1-2mph less than was shown in Nextbase's playback software. That makes me suspect DOD/Nextbase did that (-1 to -2mph) intentionally so as to be less likely to have people ask questions when viewing the video.
So I could be doing 31-32mph and 30mph would be printed on the video, but 31-32mph would be shown in the playback software.

Last edited:
1 x GPS charging cable (3m in length)

Kind regards

Dan

Thanks. So it does have gps, supplied, confused with the above replies saying it's an add on and being prototyped still?

Thanks. So it does have gps, supplied, confused with the above replies saying it's an add on and being prototyped still?

It will definitely be supplied. The plan was always to supply it with the camera. The GPS is still being tested but its doing fine. Accuracy is a bit better than some other cameras...start up times are good...and it gives more freedom on the placement of the GPS. It's certainly doing very well...there's one problem due to some power issue but that has been solved already.

So yes we are still testing this but everything is looking dandy and I don't see a reason we wouldn't be able to supply it which is why we will be shipping it on all orders.

Hope that clarifies a few things.

Dan

@2000rpm I'm currently out but I'll get back to you regarding all of this in the morning.

Dan

@2000rpm I'm currently out but I'll get back to you regarding all of this in the morning.

Dan

I'm not necessarily needing a reply - just commenting on the GPS of cams I currently/recently have/had, and how the handling of GPS/speed varies from one cam to the next.

GPS updates GENERALLY are in the 1Hz-3Hz region. Fine for a camera and most SatNavs.
If you want a speedo grade then look for 10 or 20Hz sensors. If your daily runabout is a Veyron then look for a 100Hz.

You see a lot of sales speak from some manufacturers about having the fastest GPS with 5Hz or 10Hz etc but they're only updating at 1Hz anyway, a lot of bs in the marketing material unfortunately

will you have supply via amazon.co.uk dan ?

We may but will have to include the fees they whack on. I'm going to enable PayPal soon on the JooVuu X website but if you order through your credit card you actually get more protections than with Amazon or PayPal.

Kind regards,

Dan

Was more thinking of the pile of amazon vouchers I've got burning a hole in my pocket.. :)

I've been thinking further about the design for the in-line GPS module and power supply and have a few questions.

Will the JooVuu-X function properly with a standard 5 pin USB-A to mini-B cable, assuming one would be willing to forgo the GPS function? With the in-line GPS, it sounds like a standard 5 pin cable might not work on the JooVuu.

Might it be possible to provide an optional in-line GPS cable with a USB-A plug on one end rather than the supplied attached 12V power supply? (or bare wires on one end for hard wiring?)

My goal here would be to have the ability to run the camera from an external power bank or use the camera elsewhere than in a car. For example, I regularly run my dash cams in "parking mode" while away from my vehicle using power banks. I wouldn't be without this capability at this point. All cameras in my vehicle run off good quality (Anker 2.4 amp per port) dual USB 12V power adapters and the aforementioned USB-A to mini-B cables. This way I can plug one or more of them into a power bank when I have the need. I also regularly use Mobius cameras in this manner for wildlife observation and as temporary security cameras, indoors and out using mains powered USB adapters or power banks .

As much as I am interested in buying at least one and probably more JooVuu-X cameras, at this point I would hesitate to buy a camera that didn't offer such a basic capability. The form factor of the JooVuu-X is obviously inspired by the Mobius. I know I am not the only one who feels that the beauty of the Mobius is its remarkable versatility (among other things). The way things are as of now, the JooVuu-X seems limited by the dedicated power supply/GPS cable in comparison which seems a shame for such a remarkable camera.

Last edited:
Never mellow and stop pushing the limits do you.

Hey @Dashmellow
The mini USB is 10pin HOWEVER that is only for data and GPS but for just power it is 5 pin...and not the crazy Mobius 5 pin but the actual normal 5 pin.

The camera as @kamkar1 and @CheckYourLights plus other testers can attest to runs absolutely fine off a power bank. In fact I've just finished a test regarding a power bank and it worked fantastically. I used a generic 5pin cable to run power from the bank to the camera and not one problem. Regarding the inline GPS, it should not be tooooo much of a modification but the problem is again money and also demand. From my research most people like to just use everything out of the box and as such I went with the simplest option.

I have so so so so many plans for this camera if I had money and if I had about an extra, $150,000usd I could release the accessories I really really want to. Sadly I do not have it so have to prioritise. But again the camera runs perfectly fine off power banks.

Cheers,

Dan

Back