JooVuu X Camera

The optional (prototype) GPS I'm testing has the compact GPS antenna built into / in-line with the power cigarette lighter power cord. (About 2 feet from the miniUSB plug)

It sounds like an alternative cable is not an option. I'm very interested in the camera but all four cameras I run in my vehicle run on aftermarket cables and power supplies so this concept doesn't sound very appealing to me. Having an inline GPS module two feet from the miniUSB plug seems like something that might cause install headaches as well.

It sounds like an alternative cable is not an option. I'm very interested in the camera but all four cameras I run in my vehicle run on aftermarket cables and power supplies so this concept doesn't sound very appealing to me. Having an inline GPS module two feet from the miniUSB plug seems like something that might cause install headaches as well.

a limitation of a very small form factor I guess and how to add GPS effectively

I don't think it's the final design, so all feedback is welcome.

Needs some work I think. Something more like the plug-in separate (and optional) design of the SG9665GC works for me. Why reinvent the wheel?

It will need to share the same miniUSB power port, so the question is how to do it.

I'm imagining a few optional methods.

-miniUSB Y splitter
-in-line, add-on (with male miniUSB on one end/female miniUSB on the other)
-in-line (permanently built into the cigarette lighter power cord) <~~ this is how my sample is currently.

It will need to share the same miniUSB port, so the question is how to do it.

I'm imagining a few optional methods.

-miniUSB Y splitter
-in-line, add-on (with male miniUSB on one end/female miniUSB on the other)
-in-line (permanently built into the cigarette lighter power cord) <~~ this is how my sample is currently.

I'd rather seem the addition of a mini-plug port on the camera if there is room in there.

It's a bit late for that, the camera design is final.

Sorry to hear that. Your suggested "fix-it" methods already make it seem like a possible design flaw. The installation issues, like I mentioned, but I also wonder about GPS performance based on module placement. Guess we'll have to see how this all pans out. I've just put purchase plans on hold with this news.:(

If it's in-line, you only have one plug to worry about plugging in then. You can stick the GPS against the windshield up in the corner.

If it's in-line, you only have one plug to worry about plugging in then. You can stick the GPS against the windshield up in the corner.

But then you're stuck with a factory power supply. Perhaps a cable with a mini-USB plug on both ends might be made available? Plus, some people may wish to hardwire.

Last edited:
GPS is important to me so hows the prototype GPS working for you ?

The next thing Im interested in is a recommended stable storage card.

I wonder if micro (2.5mm) phone jack could be shoehorned in there rather than a 3.5mm?

the challenge is not so much the space to have the connector in the casing but rather what that does to your PCB layout, the socket is physically a lot larger of course but what components you would need to reshuffle in the board layout would be a major headache, possibly a small patch lead at the camera end which could take power and GPS connections would be a more practical way to deal with it and still allow greater install flexibility

But then you're stuck with a factory power supply. Perhaps a cable with a mini-USB cable on both ends might be made available? Plus, some people may wish to hardwire.

I think this is where an optional add-on in-line GPS cable that is not permanently part of the power supply would be good. (Male plug on one end, female on the other)

It's showing accurate speed but still needs fine tuning.

the challenge is not so much the space to have the connector in the casing but rather what that does to your PCB layout, the socket is physically a lot larger of course but what components you would need to reshuffle in the board layout would be a major headache, possibly a small patch lead at the camera end which could take power and GPS connections would be a more practical way to deal with it and still allow greater install flexibility

I see what you mean. Somewhere here Dan posted a photo of the camera innards. It would be interesting to see that right now based on your posts.

I think this is where an optional add-on in-line GPS cable that is not permanently part of the power supply would be good. (Male plug on one end, female on the other)

Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about.

Sorry to hear that. Your suggested "fix-it" methods already make it seem like a possible design flaw. The installation issues, like I mentioned, but I also wonder about GPS performance based on module placement. Guess we'll have to see how this all pans out. I've just put purchase plans on hold with this news.:(
Agree, as this, and the mount question, puts me in a wait and see mode.

Hey everyone,
We've gone with a mount we think covers all bases, I'll get some pictures up on how it looks already. I'll also get some pictures of the GPS and how that is positioned. My car is a small Yaris so bigger cars you will have more room to play with.

Kind regards,

Dan

The GPS unit on the JooVuu X beta cam I have been testing seems to be working fine ..so far...Temporary install too, so I just have it wrapped around the rearview mirror. No issues with GPS unit picking signal and speed reading seems fine as well.
Also been running a Samsung EVO 64gb card. No missing video or corrupt files yet...early days though on a new card.

Back