JooVuu X Camera

I don't want to mess your business, but i was thinking if you going to brand your camera would it be a good idea to give car sticker or two with camera to put on rear window.
That would make your brand stronger and everybody in dvr community knows what that mean, and those who don't maybe start thinking...what the heck is that brand...
I just made rough fast sample to make clear what i mean, i was wondering should there be .com too but i let it be like it is.
When i buy your camera i would use small advertising sticker.
sample.jpg
Nice photoshop there, but shouldn't you do that on a Lamborghini Aventador instead of just a Toyota Prius? After all it's just for an ad right? :D

I don't want to mess your business, but i was thinking if you going to brand your camera would it be a good idea to give car sticker or two with camera to put on rear window.
That would make your brand stronger and everybody in dvr community knows what that mean, and those who don't maybe start thinking...what the heck is that brand...
I just made rough fast sample to make clear what i mean, i was wondering should there be .com too but i let it be like it is.
When i buy your camera i would use small advertising sticker.
sample.jpg
This is a good idea and we could customerize that pomotional sticker. @JooVuu

Thanks for a sensible answer :)

Note that an app for Windows 10 will run on both desktop and phone as there will no longer be separate executable files and everyone using Windows Phone will be upgraded to Windows 10 for free when it arrives, so developing a single Windows 10 app will cover a huge number of users, desktop, phone, tablet, xbox, if the Windows 7 and Windows 8 users all take advantage of the free upgrades. In a years time it will be the Windows XP compatible software which will have the low requirement so it is probably sensible to target Windows 10 when you get around to windows.

I think people expect the next file to be locked too as they often press the button in the middle of an event and want the conclusion kept, in fact in a lot of the videos that get posted people seem to press the event button when they first see something interesting developing in which case the next file is probably the most important.

I would say more people press the button after the fact, very little in the way of preemptive strikes on the lock button

Hi @Nigel
We toyed with both ideas and luckily as it is firmware we can still alter it. What we might do is implement what we call a '2 minute lock' where from the time of pressing it implements a lock on the file 1m before it, and then 1minute after. This has not been decided and we still have some leeway with this.

I bought my first Mobius from JooVuu 1 year 7 months ago. It's never missed a beat, but the one aspect I find inconvenient is having to remove the card in order to do a weekly video check & download the occasional clip to my iPad.

A Wi-Fi enabled camera would be very convenient for me. Provided that it's well implemented, with smooth streaming & downloading capability. Not so easy to achieve, given the disappointing performance of the average Wi-Fi enabled DashCam.

I see that the FOV is user adjustable from 80° to 155°. This is doubtless DFOV. What's the range in HFOV?

In that aspect, I think the Xiaomi Yi has a great feature. It saves 2 clips, one at a low bitrate which allows you to view footage quickly on your phone or tablet. This, of course, is for framing or generally to see what happened. You can then download the full quality clip. In my experience none of the few WiFi cameras I have can handle WiFi viewing smoothly especially at 1080/60fps, the Yi won't play them.

Hi @russ331 and @GJHS ,
Regarding the streaming, ours will implemnt something very similar to Yi. The Chinese refer to it as a 'cache' version but in fact it should be a low bitrate version. Looking at the hardware this is what ours will be, regarding the building we have not tested this feature yet and so cannot confirm, but the manufacturer states this is how ours will be implemented. We're also trying to implement a feature (but may not do this) where we stream the content in different qualities depending on the connection, phone, and other variables, but looking into this, this could be harder than we thought so may not implement this.

I forgot to mention that while I like the form factor & layout of the JooVuuCam, it would've been nice if the external power supply socket was located on the side instead of the rear ... so much more convenient for routing the cable behind the roofliner.

This question has come up before in regard to the 0806 and the Mobius. The problem with a side power connection is the issue of whether you are installing the camera in a left or right hand drive vehicle.

I would like to see a "next generation" dash cam like the JooVuu X use the new USB type C plug in the rear. A traditional straight-on plug can be connected out the back but would also allow for a single angled plug to work from both above or below. In addition, a different single angled connector would also work from both the left or right. In other words, a USB type C port on the back would allow for five directions of cable connection requiring only three types of connector.

Hi Russ331 and @Dashmellow
This idea I thought about so so so much. However, as DM states, with right and left hand drive you really do pick a side. However, in the design stage we looked at having two USB ports (it became ugly and bulky) but also a rotating USB port, where you could also 'slide' it from the back to one side, however, this added to its size greatly and would have been far to headachy to implement nicely.

The type C connector is still something we have not fully ruled out, but again it is not looking likely for this camera. However, I refuse to rule anything out until we have found the best feasible viable option but at the moment we're pretty settled on the USB.

Good luck with a product!

One thing I was unable to figure out. Is this an action or a dashcam? What is its main purpose?

EDIT: Seen some photos on the site, I guess its an action cam.

Hi @Pavle
The camera is primarily for a dashcam, however, advertising it as a dashcam is not the most glamerous and as such we made the decision to leave the door open to people who want to use it as an action camera. However, the first batch of cameras will ALL be shipped with super capacitors (at the moment) so any battery adding will have to be done by the user.

Kind regards,

Dan

Here's how you'll do the firmware updates over wifi and android. (joking)

NtqWjSxl.jpg
@JooVuu , I just see Xiao Mi seem have this feature that APP could update itself via connection with computer,that is related with APP program itself,but Xiao Mi itself is mature in developing APP stores as they sell Mobile phone themselves

Nice photoshop there, but shouldn't you do that on a Lamborghini Aventador instead of just a Toyota Prius? After all it's just for an ad right? :D

you're mistaken, you think it's just a Prius, it's actually the accessory battery pack for the camera :p

Last edited:
-10c to +50c Working Temperature

Is this a typo? 122 degrees Fahrenheit is to low a temp for in car use especially in warmer states. I saw one post from Arizona saying they had been at 118 degrees. Inside a car could easily get to 140 degrees F.

Most other dash cams are good for 65C or 149F which is a minimum for summer when the doors are closed.

Every other specification looks great.

I'd say you're going to see things like this revised, they'll be deep into the engineering stage before they'll be able to do hot and cold chamber tests and provide accurate numbers, better not to update the numbers until they can confirm the actualls, suffice to see I think it will work over greater temperature range than what has been mentioned

-10c to +50c Working Temperature

Is this a typo? 122 degrees Fahrenheit is to low a temp for in car use especially in warmer states. I saw one post from Arizona saying they had been at 118 degrees. Inside a car could easily get to 140 degrees F.

Most other dash cams are good for 65C or 149F which is a minimum for summer when the doors are closed.

Every other specification looks great.

On the low side, we get 0 Fahrenheit in winter easily and some days go below -10 Fahrenheit with windchill making it -25 Fahrenheit.
That's -17 to -31 Celsius. Some states like Minnesota go even lower.
Hopefully, Joovu is planning on testing it inside a freezer. :)

the chamber tests can easily do -20c to +80c, most cameras don't get tested at these sorts of extremes, plenty don't get tested at all, electronics and other inanimate objects are not effected by windchill so that's not something that needs to be worried about anyway

One thought to consider is a mild modification. Since this was to be designed primarily as a dash cam making the button taller that you press to save an event compared to the other button would make finding and pressing the correct button to save an event easier and more precise. If the event button is the one on the side ignore this idea.

the chamber tests can easily do -20c to +80c, most cameras don't get tested at these sorts of extremes,...

Going forward my feeling is that routine testing should go down to -30C as all the northern tier of states here regularly get that cold in the winter - I know because I live in one of them.

Going forward my feeling is that routine testing should go down to -30C as all the northern tier of states here regularly get that cold in the winter - I know because I live in one of them.

when you're using components that aren't rated to those temps there's little point

when you're using components that aren't rated to those temps there's little point
I'll do some field testing on the SG9665GC for you this coming winter.

we chamber tested -20c to +80c which is already outside of the hardware component rating, always interesting to know how it goes beyond that though of course

we chamber tested -20c to +80c which is already outside of the hardware component rating, always interesting to know how it goes beyond that though of course
It's interesting to see how I function in those temperatures as well. :(

Hi Russ331 and @Dashmellow
This idea I thought about so so so much. However, as DM states, with right and left hand drive you really do pick a side. However, in the design stage we looked at having two USB ports (it became ugly and bulky) but also a rotating USB port, where you could also 'slide' it from the back to one side, however, this added to its size greatly and would have been far to headachy to implement nicely.

The camera is 72mm in length. In some car installations, it may be an awkward fit for the power cable, in view of the close proximity of the rear view mirror. I hope the power cable will have a right angle micro USB plug.

Let's hope that the camera is living up to it's expectations and all specifications/features are really there if the camera hits the market.
Unfortunate in the real word many features have to be implemented/fine tuned after the initial release and even dropped later from the specifications list.
The goals are set high, lets hope it isn't set unrealistic high

The camera is 72mm in length. In some car installations, it may be an awkward fit for the power cable, in view of the close proximity of the rear view mirror. I hope the power cable will have a right angle micro USB plug.

And an optional left angle too! :)

And an optional left angle too! :)
Or put the socket on the top (or bottom) parallel to the sides with an appropriate right/left angle plug and everyone is happy. :)

Or put the socket on the top (or bottom) parallel to the sides with an appropriate right/left angle plug and everyone is happy. :)

You are obviously not a Mobius owner. :) If you were, I think you would understand why that might not be practical in a variety of installations. The JooVuu X would be similar.

Back