Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

On the off chance you plan on using that compressor more than on the rare occasion, you should look into buying something else.
A compressor that small will take a very long time to air up to road pressure.

Hey thanks there, you know what, just 10 mins back i opened up a thread here asking the same question.

What to look for in a Jump Starter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the ideal fov/pov for the cam , does the front of your car also needs to be in the view, how much sky/horizon and the road?is there a ratio? Any video or snaps for example appreciated.

Last edited:
Whats the ideal fov/pov for the cam ... how much sky/horizon and the road?is there a ratio?

There's no ideal FOV ... it's down to personal preference. The typical dashcam has a wide FOV. Mobius A owners disagree with that approach.

Aim Mobius so that approximately 35% of the image is above the horizon, as more may result in the video being generally underexposed. I estimate my setup to be around 37% above the horizon...

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looked up couple of videos on WDR mode both on and off, and night mode, it looks like people prefer using it just as you defined, in two different modes.

The Mobius' "WDR" is a fake or “gamma-WDR” ( applies to all NTK99650+AR0330 solutions ). The Mobius' "WDR" images are basically photoshopped (the S-curve).

http://tutvid.com/photoshop/curves-curves-curves-photoshop-cs6-tutorial/
curves-10.jpg

http://photographyblogger.net/the-creative-power-of-curves/
curves-before-after.jpg

Real WDR ( see http://www.flexmedia.com.tw/index.php/en/tutorials/25-english/tutorials/60-wdr.html ) ...

Semi-real WDR ( G90's "HDR") ...

Last edited:
@Signhere thats pretty good explanation there. Being a hobbyist photographer and do post processing the image both in Lightroom and Photochop, i can realize what a HDR can do to a photograph, and WDR has similar characteristics.

So, today i got the wiring for the dashcam done, the installer did a fantastic job, the wiring is almost like OEM, he used the SUV's already integrated wiring sheilds/pipes and routed the cables from within them, for now I have installed just the rear dashcam that looks fantastic, will take pictures of the setup tomorrow and post here. Got out late from the installers place and was dark. Will be mounting the cron can tomorrow. The wiring is complete though.
By the way I am completely disappointed by the way the Mobius has delivered the video quality from the rear cam. The video is grainy to the extreme. Its just unacceptable. My cellphone 7-8 years back would output better videos.

Uploading two videos, here, both are in different light conditions. The first video is inside the installers garage, he takes the car out and parks it in the lot, and then after sometime i drive off. the next video is taken few mins later after i had stopped by a gas station to pump gas and i cleaned the rear window to make sure there was no dust or frozen snow.

Youtube link to view online. (pls choose HD format in 1080p)

Dropbox link to download the file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6u8uxpifsp85oj/REC_0009.MOV?dl=0

Youtube link for the second clip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsxyu7oftiwj3jj/REC_0013.MOV?dl=0

You should be able to play the video once u click on the link, I suggest you download the video and check out the quality in true 1080p format. You can download the video from the same link, using the download button on the same page.

Here's my config for reference.

Language=English
Timeout=30
ShowToolTips=1
AutoProgUpdate=1
AutoFWUpdate=1
AutoFWUpdatePC=1
EnableFWCheckNr16(MOV)=1
EnableFWCheckNr16(AVI)=1
EnableFWCheckMobius=1
ColorMobius=12583040
ColorNr16=102
DialogWidth=1148
DialogHeight=850
SafelyRemoveDevice=1
PatchSourceDir=
PatchDestDir=
UsePatchDestDir=TRUE

Profile[2]=Motion Detect / Parking Mode
TimeSync=1
DateFormat=2
TimeStamp1=1
TimeStamp2=1
AutoRecord=0
PowerOnDelay=1
PowerOnRecord=0
PowerOff=0
PowerOnRecordExt=1
PowerOffExtDelay=1
PowerOnMode=0
Beeper=0
USBCharging=0
LensAperture=2
Frequency=1
VideoOut=0
VideoOutRatio=0
FormatFileSystem=0
Webcam=0
WebcamFlip=0
FramerateFormat=1
AudioOnly1=0
AudioVolume1=1
FlipVideo1=1
LoopRecord1=1
VideoAOV1=0
MovieWDR1=0
VideoQuality1=0
VideoFormat1=0
VideoLength1=0
VideoTimeLapse1=0
VideoCustomTimeLapse1=1
VideoResolution1=0
VideoFrameRate1=3
AudioOnly2=0
AudioVolume2=1
FlipVideo2=1
LoopRecord2=1
VideoAOV2=0
MovieWDR2=0
VideoQuality2=0
VideoFormat2=0
VideoLength2=0
VideoTimeLapse2=0
VideoCustomTimeLapse2=1
VideoResolution2=1
VideoFrameRate2=1
MotionDetect=1
MotionTimeout=3
MotionSensitivity=1
PhotoFlip=0
PhotoStamp=0
RecordLED=1
TimeLapse=0
TimeLapseCustom=1
PhotoSize=0
AEAWBLock=1
ImgSharpness=0
ImgExposure=0
ImgContrast=0
ImgSaturation=0
ImgColorSetting=0
ImgWhiteBal=0
ImgWhiteBalRed1=256
ImgWhiteBalGreen1=256
ImgWhiteBalBlue1=256
ImgWhiteBalRed2=256
ImgWhiteBalGreen2=256
ImgWhiteBalBlue2=256
ImgWhiteBalRed3=256
ImgWhiteBalGreen3=256
ImgWhiteBalBlue3=256

Profile[2]=Standard C Lens per IsoProp
TimeSync=1
DateFormat=2
TimeStamp1=0
TimeStamp2=1
AutoRecord=0
PowerOnDelay=1
PowerOnRecord=0
PowerOff=1
PowerOnRecordExt=1
PowerOffExtDelay=1
PowerOnMode=0
Beeper=0
USBCharging=0
LensAperture=2
Frequency=1
VideoOut=0
VideoOutRatio=0
FormatFileSystem=0
Webcam=0
WebcamFlip=0
FramerateFormat=0
AudioOnly1=0
AudioVolume1=1
FlipVideo1=0
LoopRecord1=0
VideoAOV1=1
MovieWDR1=0
VideoQuality1=0
VideoFormat1=0
VideoLength1=4
VideoTimeLapse1=0
VideoCustomTimeLapse1=1
VideoResolution1=0
VideoFrameRate1=3
AudioOnly2=0
AudioVolume2=1
FlipVideo2=0
LoopRecord2=0
VideoAOV2=0
MovieWDR2=0
VideoQuality2=0
VideoFormat2=0
VideoLength2=4
VideoTimeLapse2=0
VideoCustomTimeLapse2=1
VideoResolution2=1
VideoFrameRate2=1
MotionDetect=0
MotionTimeout=2
MotionSensitivity=0
PhotoFlip=0
PhotoStamp=0
RecordLED=1
TimeLapse=0
TimeLapseCustom=1
PhotoSize=0
AEAWBLock=1
ImgSharpness=0
ImgExposure=0
ImgContrast=0
ImgSaturation=0
ImgColorSetting=0
ImgWhiteBal=0
ImgWhiteBalRed1=256
ImgWhiteBalGreen1=256
ImgWhiteBalBlue1=256
ImgWhiteBalRed2=256
ImgWhiteBalGreen2=256
ImgWhiteBalBlue2=256
ImgWhiteBalRed3=256
ImgWhiteBalGreen3=256
ImgWhiteBalBlue3=256

Last edited:
They look great to me, nice and sharp. Keep in mind there will be some grain on all these cameras with such small sensors. YouTube can make it look as if it's not there so when you see it raw it's surprising. Did you record in WDR Low Light? Is the view through tinted windows?

Your mount seems to be loose and rattles a few times on bumps. How did you mount it?

They look great to me, nice and sharp. Keep in mind there will be some grain on all these cameras with such small sensors. YouTube can make it look as if it's not there so when you see it raw it's surprising. Did you record in WDR Low Light? Is the view through tinted windows?

Your mount seems to be loose and rattles a few times on bumps. How did you mount it?

I request you to download on off the clip and view it in 1080p, I've put a drop box link to the raw file.
The mounting must not be perfect I agree. I'll work on that tomorrow morning. It was getting dark and cold in his garage hence i just installed the rear view can and rushed home as a few guests were waiting. No the low light isn't on yet. Wdr is actually off.

Using this same mount. Though don't know how to tighten it. I mean can this be really tightened?
uploadfromtaptalk1425542605363.jpg

I request you to download on off the clip and view it in 1080p, I've put a drop box link to the raw file.
The mounting must not be perfect I agree. I'll work on that tomorrow morning. It was getting dark and cold in his garage hence i just installed the rear view can and rushed home as a few guests were waiting. No the low light isn't on yet. Wdr is actually off.
Your video looks good, as I said nice and sharp. The WDR will increase the brightness.

Make sure you don't mount it on the glass if you plan on slamming the hatch shut, you could damage the camera.

Last edited:
I haven't viewed the clip in question on a computer. However, one thing I have noticed, is that when a poster says their clips aren't as good as they should be, it often turns out that their computer hardware/software isn't quite up to the task.

Then again, sometimes it is a cam problem, or their expectations were a bit high.

By the way I am completely disappointed by the way the Mobius has delivered the video quality from the rear cam. The video is grainy to the extreme. Its just unacceptable. My cellphone 7-8 years back would output better videos.

Doesn't look too bad to me, I've seen much worse low light dashcam footage over the past two years or so.

I think you said this installation is for your Wife's car? Does she drive much at night? If her driving is 90% daytime, there's no point experimenting with low light settings that may compromise daytime video quality.

I recall one or two others getting wobbly video with that bracket. Needs tweaking to steady it.

Many cars, including mine, have tinted rear screens, which dashcams often have trouble with. To compensate, I've been using v1.20 with Low Light enabled & WB set to Cloudy. A bizarre combo, but it worked for me. I've just updated my rear Mobius B to v2.33, so I'll have to start experimenting again.

Last edited:

In short, just try firmware v0.53. See https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...so-bad-attached-video.9939/page-2#post-125658 first.

Firmware download links: https://dashcamtalk.com/mobius/#Previous_Firmware

Have ALF="60 Hz", Lens Type="Lens 'B'", FOV="Wide" and let your eyes judge.

I haven't viewed the clip in question on a computer. However, one thing I have noticed, is that when a poster says their clips aren't as good as they should be, it often turns out that their computer hardware/software isn't quite up to the task.

Then again, sometimes it is a cam problem, or their expectations were a bit high.

MANswers is a "hobbyist photographer" ;).

I seriously doubt that. :)

The raw footage should be much better.

Last edited:
wtf

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 30

I thought about the same, and played the clip both on a HTPC (home theater personal computer), that is a serious media server, also on a macbook pro retina.
And the results were same.
Maybe as the others were saying is true, my expectations as a first time dashcam user was high, but definately i did not expect a gopro's resolution. Hey i understand. But all i wanted to know was if mine is a hardware issue or something wrong with the settings. If this is it, and this is how it comes at night, fine by me.. i just wanna make sure i am getting what others are here.

I might be a bit carried away here, but all i wanted to know was if the grain seen in the video is normal? The grain i am talking about are visible here in the screenshot below. Look at the grains on the road. Its like a woven interweb of grains all over the screen.

sl1bwh.jpg

9aae7a.jpg

(pls do enlarge the photo to the actual size to view).

lol, i also went back to see that. the area is a hood, its not a safe location to be at this time of the night, but all the car modifiers are located in these locations. The food is great in these places too, a must try when you are in the chicago south side.
I didnt post any videos getting back home, as the driving route has minimal lights and barely visible on the cam videos.

I think you said this installation is for your Wife's car? Does she drive much at night? If her driving is 90% daytime, there's no point experimenting with low light settings that may compromise daytime video quality.

I recall one or two others getting wobbly video with that bracket. Needs tweaking to steady it.

Many cars, including mine, have tinted rear screens, which dashcams often have trouble with. To compensate, I've been using v1.20 with Low Light enabled & WB set to Cloudy. A bizarre combo, but it worked for me. I've just updated my rear Mobius B to v2.33, so I'll have to start experimenting again.

you are spot on with everything there. The rear window is tinted. extremely one infact. Yes the bracket is extremely wobbly. even after tightening all the bits, it wobbles like a sea-saw.
The cam goes into the wife's car, and yea she doesnt drive at all at night. I get that privilege, but that was the plan, first to install it in one of the cars and that was hers due to some crazy incident. but then it to install it after in other car's as well, as i felt it made a lot of sense to have dashcam's in the car when you are living and driving in the city of Chicago.

I'll try applying some Silicon Gel to the bracket at places its wobbling, lets see, also will try your settings tonight, and drive around. I still have to mount the cam on the front, will do it today afternoon, when i get back home. it was getting late yesterday, got a couple of things modified (not ricey) in the car yesterday hence got off late, and the night footage.

Last edited:
Did you record in WDR Low Light? Is the view through tinted windows?

No did not turn on the low light, will test that out tonight.
the mount does rattle a lot. i'll apply some silicon gel and see. these ones.

077027002843.jpg

yea the windows are tinted, the darkest one infact.

lol, i also went back to see that. the area is a hood, its not a safe location to be at this time of the night, but all the car modifiers are located in these locations. The food is great in these places too, a must try when you are in the chicago south side.
I didnt post any videos getting back home, as the driving route has minimal lights and barely visible on the cam videos.
:)

Back