Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

What are the differences between these 2 cables? Special AV Output Telemetry Connection Cable For Mobius Camera (and the) TV Out Cable for Mobius

Is the B lens going away with the introduction of the C lens or will both still be available in the future?

Last edited:
I thought about the same, and played the clip both on a HTPC (home theater personal computer), that is a serious media server, also on a macbook pro retina.
And the results were same.
Maybe as the others were saying is true, my expectations as a first time dashcam user was high, but definately i did not expect a gopro's resolution. Hey i understand. But all i wanted to know was if mine is a hardware issue or something wrong with the settings. If this is it, and this is how it comes at night, fine by me.. i just wanna make sure i am getting what others are here.

I might be a bit carried away here, but all i wanted to know was if the grain seen in the video is normal? The grain i am talking about are visible here in the screenshot below. Look at the grains on the road. Its like a woven interweb of grains all over the screen.

sl1bwh.jpg

9aae7a.jpg

(pls do enlarge the photo to the actual size to view).
Grain is normal and also on the GoPro

I might be a bit carried away here, but all i wanted to know was if the grain seen in the video is normal? The grain i am talking about are visible here in the screenshot below. Look at the grains on the road. Its like a woven interweb of grains all over the screen.

Graininess and over exposure in low light conditions is typical for the Mobius with firmware >v0.53.

Firmware v0.47 images taken by "reverend" ( https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-0-47-vs-dome-g90-r441mp-hdr-on-night.6864/ ) ...

1-mobius-jpg.7113

2-mobius-jpg.7115

4-mobius-jpg.7119

5-mobius-jpg.7121

13-mobius-jpg.7137

14-mobius-jpg.7139

you are spot on with everything there. The rear window is tinted. extremely one infact..

try the camera on the front and it should look a lot better, any camera shooting through dark tint is going to struggle to give the results you want

try the camera on the front and it should look a lot better, any camera shooting through dark tint is going to struggle to give the results you want

Maybe less blurry as a result ( bad tint?) but the graininess and exposure may increase.

I am gonna try the suggested settings earlier @GJHS and @russ331 has provided, then gonna try with an older version as @Signhere has suggested.
@jokiin, i am gonna do that and post results tonight.

Oh yea, the silicon thing worked like a charm. no more rattling and wobbly mount. the silicon layer is not even visible, it just worked like a cushion sealing the gaps and spaces.

Graininess and over exposure in low light conditions is typical for the Mobius with firmware >v0.53.

Firmware v0.47 images taken by "reverend" ( https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-0-47-vs-dome-g90-r441mp-hdr-on-night.6864/ ) ...
I would like to see proof of your statement. By proof I mean video taken at the same time and from the same position with at least two identical cameras (same lenses) with their lenses cleaned and focused. Comparing videos that were not taken at exactly the same time and position is meaningless and can lead to totally incorrect assumptions.
A while ago there was a rumor that v0.59 was better in low light conditions. I made a comparison video and no one posted that they thought v0.59 was better.
To date we have tested well over 90 !!! different Mobius firmware versions and, in our view, the low-light video is superior in the latest versions. We obviously haven't compared every version but it's general practice to compare the previous version (or two) with the newer version. In addition, a fair number of firmware updates specifically addressed low-light video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until we get the actual official Lens C numbers from the manufacturer...

I doubt that we'll get any information from the manufacturer. All of the figures published to date reflect the work of Tom Frank at RCGroups, not the manufacturer.

I actually run the latest firmware on my Mobius devices now as they ran better for me and I liked the extra options you get in the latest firmwares better - those pics were from ages ago when I was just trying out various firmwares - like any Novatek and Aptina combo there they're noisier at night than the OV4689 or IMX322.

Those pictures in that thread were more to show the difference in the standard dynamic range of the OV4689 in the G90 against the AR0330 in the Mobius.

To give you an idea how the Mobius stacks up to the latest and the greatest here's some footage from the X2 from last night - a mixture of dark unlit roads and roads with street lights:

X2 - Low Brightness
https://mega.co.nz/#!sYwjkT5I!1Rw4CAoTVTBpANGcauoy9__U5UBmkGYvJ11SmITkUhI

X2 - High Brightness
https://mega.co.nz/#!MBoFBLbA!Vb8AZonNwXAIKsp1549JzZ2fcMv137f9TvUdO6g-4Ag
https://mega.co.nz/#!URRxUDwQ!-pu4aLIqbixYlue-6iiDLpQ-yChrZkynXq_BaFxdDCg

The X2 is definitely the best I've had yet - a lot of Novatek / Aptina cameras seem to lose a bit of resolution at night time - it's never so obvious when you look at the Youtube videos stacking two against each other as they look equal - it's only when you watch raw footage from both side by side that you notice a difference. They're more incremental changes rather than massive step changes between sensors.

I personally prefer the X2 on low brightness as it's the combination which handles my xenon headlights the best in terms of reading other car numberplates at night.

I would like to see proof of your statement. By proof I mean video taken at the same time and from the same position with at least two identical cameras (same lenses) with their lenses cleaned and focused. Comparing videos that were not taken at exactly the same time and position is meaningless and can lead to totally incorrect assumptions.
A while ago there was a rumor that v0.59 was better in low light conditions. I made a comparison video and no one posted that they thought v0.59 was better.
To date we have tested well over 90 !!! different Mobius firmware versions and, in our view, the low-light video is superior in the latest versions. We obviously haven't compared every version but it's general practice to compare the previous version (or two) with the newer version. In addition, a fair number of firmware updates specifically addressed low-light video.

What is the size of the monitor you are using?

Does this clip look grainy to you?

It does on my 23" monitor in full screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
YouTube is no place to judge any file, they take an 18mbit file and re-encode it at a max of 4mbit, something's got to give

Youtube will likely add compression artifacts but very unlikely add graininess to a video.

Here's a clip from the front dash cam. It snowed again last night, just drove around today morning, wanted to create a quick clip to check the clarity, focus, color balance, and mainly the orientation of the cam. The car's all covered with salt and snow, my apologies for the reflection. However, I am pretty satisified by the daylight result. Its just awesome.
Is this something thats how it is supposed to be, or there is scope to tweak this further more?

Pls do watch it in HD 1080p format.

Original.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym97yyw78e2m7xx/REC_0018.MOV?dl=0

Do u think i need to futher adjust the cam a little bit to a better orientation?

Here's a clip from the front dash cam. It snowed again last night, just drove around today morning, wanted to create a quick clip to check the clarity, focus, color balance, and mainly the orientation of the cam. ....

Do u think i need to futher adjust the cam a little bit to a better orientation?

The bad news ... it's out of focus. The good news ... refocusing the Mobius' lens is easy.

You don't really need a monitor. Just mark the lens casing to a reference point and adjust ( ~2 mm at a time clockwise - usually a few mm in total adjustment ).

Last edited:
The bad news ... it's out of focus. The good news ... refocusing the Mobius' lens is easy.
In my opinion it is crisp sharp and not at all out of focus.

You don't really need a monitor. Just mark the lens casing to a reference point and adjust ( ~2 mm at a time clockwise - usually a few mm in total adjustment ).

Oops, is it so? Does all these cams need to be focused dont they come focused and properly setup out of the box?
I am still not completely able to figure out about how this is out of focus, is it something you are seeing far in the horizon or the branches of the trees that look blurry?
Reason i am asking this is, when i start adjusting the lens by moving the casing every 2mm, i need to go back and see at some point as things become more and more pominent and less blurry.

Yours looks focused to me, so no worries.

focus1.png
Oops, is it so? Does all these cams need to be focused dont they come focused and properly setup out of the box?
I am still not completely able to figure out about how this is out of focus, is it something you are seeing far in the horizon or the branches of the trees that look blurry?
Reason i am asking this is, when i start adjusting the lens by moving the casing every 2mm, i need to go back and see at some point as things become more and more pominent and less blurry.

It's nearsighted. The Mobius' should be set on "infinity" focus.

You can focus the lens in a room by focusing on something obvious a few meters away from the lens.

Back