Nextbase 522gw keeps freezing

I've had the 522GW with rear camera for a little over a month now. It is hardwired. I have the PNY Elite-X U3 A1 128GB card.

1) My camera will look like it is working and recording, however, the seconds on the screen will stay at 1 indicating it is frozen. When this happens, the file turns out to be corrupted.

2) The rear camera doesn't always load. Sometimes, it will show a white screen for the rear camera (if it attempts to load it at all) then the white screen will disappear and it wont show the rear camera.

3) I've tried restarting the camera when it "freezes". It will continue to stay frozen. When I unplug the rear camera and restart it, the camera is no longer frozen.

Per Nextbase website it says "If connecting to a Rear Cam Module, we advise using a 64GB U3 or 128GB U3 card for best results." My card meets this requirement.

As from what I can tell in this forum, even users with the Nextbase card have been having the same issues. And now, I have no video of the accident I was in last night. I have two of these cameras and now am wondering if I need to send them back and get something else.

Hello, I've been having issues with my 522gw and its really starting to test my patience... I'm on my third unit now and ive had 4 sd memory cards, 3 of which were nextbase 128g memory cards. The camera freezes daily (nearly evertime on 12 seconds) so i have to reset the camera and sometimes it comes back on ok and other times it stays on the nextbase loading screen repeating the chime over and over. Ive got it hardwired into a permanent live but ive also had it plugged into my mates car through the 12v adapter and still had the same issue. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with this model? Halfords and nextbase technical support dont seem to have come across this problem before?? Feel like im just being fobbed off, any advice would be much appreciated
Oh no. Don’t tell me this. I’ve had a 322GW for 3-4 years and have had this issue. Fed up of Nextbase fobbing me off. I have done everything and have spent hours emailing Nextbase and done everything they have advised. New Nextbase SD cars, unplug rear, plug back in etc. I’ve given up as I’m due to get a new car in 2 weeks so have just bought a 522GW front and rear to be hardwired to my new car. I thought having the latest one and not front and rear that is 3-4 years old would fix this and that the latest model wouldn’t be as bad. The 322W only worked ok for the first year and a half as it was! If I have the same issue I will be furious as feel like I’m having to ditch the perfect (well not perfect!) 322GW front and rear as it is.I should just be able to move the 322GW to my new car, I shouldn’t have to buy a new one! Finally Nextbase said to send it back for repair as it wasn’t covered by warrently. I won’t be happy if this is the case. The issue seems to come when you attach the rear camera, if I have the same issues with a brand new front and rear, I will be furious. Wish I’d not bothered buying the new one, it was against my better judgment as it was!! If this new 522GW has the same issues I will return for a refund within warranty and buy the Garmin. Wish I’d just done that now. Should have learnt my lesson

Last edited:
Oh no. Don’t tell me this. I’ve had a 322GW for 3-4 years and have had this issue. Fed up of Nextbase fobbing me off. I have done everything and have spent hours emailing Nextbase and done everything they have advised. New Nextbase SD cars, unplug rear, plug back in etc. I’ve given up as I’m due to get a new car in 2 weeks so have just bought a 522GW front and rear to be hardwired to my new car. I thought having the latest one and not front and rear that is 3-4 years old would fix this and that the latest model wouldn’t be as bad. The 322W only worked ok for the first year and a half as it was! If I have the same issue I will be furious as feel like I’m having to ditch the perfect (well not perfect!) 322GW front and rear as it is.I should just be able to move the 322GW to my new car, I shouldn’t have to buy a new one! Finally Nextbase said to send it back for repair as it wasn’t covered by warrently. I won’t be happy if this is the case. The issue seems to come when you attach the rear camera, if I have the same issues with a brand new front and rear, I will be furious. Wish I’d not bothered buying the new one, it was against my better judgment as it was!! If this new 522GW has the same issues I will return for a refund within warranty and buy the Garmin. Wish I’d just done that now. Should have learnt my lesson
I hate to break it to you but many people are having the same issue with the 522GW. I am one of them. I was going to trade my cams in and upgrade to the 622GW and see if this helps but apparently other people are complaining of the same issue with that camera. Some say that the card is the problem. Looks like you can even have two of the exact same card and one will work and the other won't. I don't know.

I've had the 522GW with rear camera for a little over a month now. It is hardwired. I have the PNY Elite-X U3 A1 128GB card.

1) My camera will look like it is working and recording, however, the seconds on the screen will stay at 1 indicating it is frozen. When this happens, the file turns out to be corrupted.

2) The rear camera doesn't always load. Sometimes, it will show a white screen for the rear camera (if it attempts to load it at all) then the white screen will disappear and it wont show the rear camera.

3) I've tried restarting the camera when it "freezes". It will continue to stay frozen. When I unplug the rear camera and restart it, the camera is no longer frozen.

Per Nextbase website it says "If connecting to a Rear Cam Module, we advise using a 64GB U3 or 128GB U3 card for best results." My card meets this requirement.

As from what I can tell in this forum, even users with the Nextbase card have been having the same issues. And now, I have no video of the accident I was in last night. I have two of these cameras and now am wondering if I need to send them back and get something else.
Hello,

It sounds like you have a loose rear camera connector. I would recommend the following:

1. Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please plug in the rear camera. Then turn on the front camera. Does it now start normally? Can you now see the rear camera image?

2. Clean all of your rear camera connectors with an alcohol wipe to ensure that they're clean and free of debris.

3. Ensure the Rear Window Camera cable is fully inserted where the cables join- it should click when it's fully connected together. There's a connector about 30 cm from the rear camera, this connector can be a little deceiving and needs to be really tight.

4. Ensure your Dash Cam's Firmware is on R19.1 or R19.9.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back