Nextbase 522gw keeps freezing

No, he had implied that the camera had crashed even when he had changed the SD card.

It's a matter of interpretation of a slightly less than concisely detailed posting that can easily lead to ambiguity and confusion both in follow up questions and answers. :ROFLMAO:

Mine was fine until I updated from R16.3 to R19.1. Now I get occasional lockups and the chiming noise every few days. Tried two SD Cards, both genuine Nextbase 64GB & 128GB ones. Need to downgrade firmware to test further, any links to firmware archives? Cheers.

Bought two 522gw with rear view cameras, hard wire kits & 128gb sd cards. Installed in first vehicle with the rear view cam but had constant freezing. Contacted Nextbase who said rear view cam was the problem & they replaced it. Still froze so then they blamed the card said needed there version or some other compatible ones. Bought a 'compatible' one due to cost of the own brand ones! Slightly better results but still freezes at times & sick to death trying to fix it! Did contact them again as Alexa never seems to work, but gave up when the support got too complicated.
All originally bought last September but just had the courage to install the second front unit with the hard wired kit. Has the same sd card as the other unit & although not connected to a rear cam constantly freezes worse than the other one.
I think the red button should be altered to reset the device's as sick & tired trying to push in the reset button!
The car with the front & rear cam constantly loses radio reception which again Nextbase seem unable to resolve.
Overall I think the whole unit is not fit for purpose & now thinking of getting my money back on both systems.
It is a shame as quality is good, service & support good, but they seem unable to rectify any of the problems. I cannot see how they get such good reviews unless they are giving back-handers)!
Finally, when frozen managed to flatten my battery so car was unable to start. Thought battery had gone but recharged & has been fine since. Units are a liability as people need to know they are working as & when required but usually find they have froze possibly missing info they were bought for.

Firmware updated on the evening of 1st March, SanDisk 128GB card reinserted.

Dashcam crashed lunchtime today partway through a protected recording (slamming the car door triggers one) so there are two corrupted recordings on the card; one for front cam and one for rear. File length suggests it crashed right at the end of the protected recording, as the three rear ones from this morning (2 good, one corrupt) are all 41.9MB.

Didn't notice the crash at the time, but noticed this evening that it was displaying the live video for front and rear cameras but had no recording counter, nor would it react to button presses. Instead of holding in the power button to force it off I unplugged it, brought it in the house and waited for the battery to go flat (about 5 minutes).

Card wasn't full, still 33GB free on a 128GB card.

Will switch back to the NextBase 64GB card and see how that performs.

Last edited:
Mine (522GW) still freezes and makes a chiming noise, its only made the constant chiming noise since R19.1. Ive noticed it usually does it more often after turning off the car and getting back in, maybe something to do with parking mode?

Its worrying and totally unacceptable. My camera was working absolutely fine on old firmware but on new firmware it had frozen on me twice already. First time i was in the car so i sorted by pressing reset. But second time mrs had the car for few days and today i connected ios app with cam to download the videos and guess what the last recording was on 4th March and I noticed a solid red light. Very worrying for me. The cam is hard wired to permanent live fuse. Im now regretting buying 522GW unit.

Hello, I've been having issues with my 522gw and its really starting to test my patience... I'm on my third unit now and ive had 4 sd memory cards, 3 of which were nextbase 128g memory cards. The camera freezes daily (nearly evertime on 12 seconds) so i have to reset the camera and sometimes it comes back on ok and other times it stays on the nextbase loading screen repeating the chime over and over. Ive got it hardwired into a permanent live but ive also had it plugged into my mates car through the 12v adapter and still had the same issue. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with this model? Halfords and nextbase technical support dont seem to have come across this problem before?? Feel like im just being fobbed off, any advice would be much appreciated
I’ve been onto Nextbase and lost my patience totally. I’ve done everything they said! Format card, Nextbase at that! Firmware update!
issue after issue after issue. They are now upset with my feedbac´. The latest audacity by a girl which won’t accept they ice a dodgy camera which is hard wired is that the App has a bug! It shows Bluetooth connected Live recording feed with Red message stating Bluetooth disabled!! It messes around all the time, didn’t recorded When I needed it, when I get in the car it’s making a beeping noise, it freezes!
I need take it back to Halfords, I’ve got 2 one in each car and they are both as useless as the other!!
the single worse thing I’ve ever bought over rated expensive and I’ve just seen hundreds of dissatisfied customers with every problem imaginable and lives had them all
Oh but it’s never ever their faulty cameras fault!!

Attachments

• 287D1E95-780E-42AC-86F4-E6BDB176C95A.png
    287D1E95-780E-42AC-86F4-E6BDB176C95A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
I’ve been onto Nextbase and lost my patience totally. I’ve done everything they said! Format card, Nextbase at that! Firmware update!
issue after issue after issue. They are now upset with my feedbac´. The latest audacity by a girl which won’t accept they ice a dodgy camera which is hard wired is that the App has a bug! It shows Bluetooth connected Live recording feed with Red message stating Bluetooth disabled!! It messes around all the time, didn’t recorded When I needed it, when I get in the car it’s making a beeping noise, it freezes!
I need take it back to Halfords, I’ve got 2 one in each car and they are both as useless as the other!!
the single worse thing I’ve ever bought over rated expensive and I’ve just seen hundreds of dissatisfied customers with every problem imaginable and lives had them all
Oh but it’s never ever their faulty cameras fault!!
I have 2 units both with rear cameras & hard wire kits. One has been fully fitted since last September, the other just front unit since January. Have put problems I have encountered on this thread, although the last firmware upgrade has solved most of the freezing problems but still not 100%. I try to run with minimal settings which does seem to help (sound alerts, Alexa etc). Changed the sd cards as they said there were known problems which sort of helped.
Radio is always cutting out with rear camera although support seem uninterested.
Freezing issue is widely reported, but they seem to make out it is rare.
Most of the extra features simply don't work properly.
I bought the units as seemed best on market from reviews but totally regret it. Support is there but don't really help. Did buy as are a British company & seemed to have a good reputation but wish I had gone elsewhere.
Will fit the second rear camera soon (just hope the radio isn't affected & freezing made worse).
Format the card every couple of weeks as does help but loses all info if required at a later date (could save to a computer if required).
Definitely not a install & forget piece of equipment & the times I have wanted to look at info to then find it has frozen are countless.
The battery drain issue, (denied by Nextbase), did occur as the unit had froze on a screen showing the camera view. When it reaches a certain voltage it is supposed to switch off, (difficult for it to do when froze & no buttons etc working.
Car had been unused for a few days & stop/start does cause increased current usage. Battery was charged & has been ok & tested since. It was left for about 5 days unused but issue could arise at airport parking etc if travelling. Now I will turn off if not being used for a few days (again defeats one of the reasons I bought it!).

I have 2 units both with rear cameras & hard wire kits. One has been fully fitted since last September, the other just front unit since January. Have put problems I have encountered on this thread, although the last firmware upgrade has solved most of the freezing problems but still not 100%. I try to run with minimal settings which does seem to help (sound alerts, Alexa etc). Changed the sd cards as they said there were known problems which sort of helped.
Radio is always cutting out with rear camera although support seem uninterested.
Freezing issue is widely reported, but they seem to make out it is rare.
Most of the extra features simply don't work properly.
I bought the units as seemed best on market from reviews but totally regret it. Support is there but don't really help. Did buy as are a British company & seemed to have a good reputation but wish I had gone elsewhere.
Will fit the second rear camera soon (just hope the radio isn't affected & freezing made worse).
Format the card every couple of weeks as does help but loses all info if required at a later date (could save to a computer if required).
Definitely not a install & forget piece of equipment & the times I have wanted to look at info to then find it has frozen are countless.
The battery drain issue, (denied by Nextbase), did occur as the unit had froze on a screen showing the camera view. When it reaches a certain voltage it is supposed to switch off, (difficult for it to do when froze & no buttons etc working.
Car had been unused for a few days & stop/start does cause increased current usage. Battery was charged & has been ok & tested since. It was left for about 5 days unused but issue could arise at airport parking etc if travelling. Now I will turn off if not being used for a few days (again defeats one of the reasons I bought it!).
They make out your card is bad but mine is Nextbase! They have an answer for everything! Frankly it’s the single worst two things I’ve ever bought! I’m taking one back for a refund! Just flawed all round

They make out your card is bad but mine is Nextbase! They have an answer for everything! Frankly it’s the single worst two things I’ve ever bought! I’m taking one back for a refund! Just flawed all round
Yeah take it back get a refund and leave a bad review for the product... I have gone for the Garmin 66w, have not had any problems with it as of yet, just plug in and forget.

Yeah take it back get a refund and leave a bad review for the product... I have gone for the Garmin 66w, have not had any problems with it as of yet, just plug in and forget.
Thanks for the advice! They didn’t like my review do they reported me!! Bad company! Today after I did all format firmware found it chiming they said card faulty!! It’s a next sae said take it back! After highlighting a “bug” having nothing but hassle wouldn’t you think out if goodwill they’d send a card to replace their faulty card! But NO!! Even their cards are faulty! I’m taking cameras back front and rear and I’ll look at the garmin, thanks! All the best

Hello, I've been having issues with my 522gw and its really starting to test my patience... I'm on my third unit now and ive had 4 sd memory cards, 3 of which were nextbase 128g memory cards. The camera freezes daily (nearly evertime on 12 seconds) so i have to reset the camera and sometimes it comes back on ok and other times it stays on the nextbase loading screen repeating the chime over and over. Ive got it hardwired into a permanent live but ive also had it plugged into my mates car through the 12v adapter and still had the same issue. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with this model? Halfords and nextbase technical support dont seem to have come across this problem before?? Feel like im just being fobbed off, any advice would be much appreciated
I don't believe Nextbase aren't aware of this issue for 1 minute. How can such a common issue possibly escape their attention ?

Hello,

I just wanted to update this thread. The freezing bug has now been fixed. Please update your 522GWs to Firmware R19.1. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hello,
My 522GWs Firmware R19.1 was working first 2 week with rear camera
After that is freezing all the time when I try to connect the rear camera
I have 32 GB nextbase card
Without rear camera it is working very good
Can somebody help me with rear camera ?
Thank you

There are not many dashcams that reliably push 2 camera feeds onto a single SDCard judging by the continual posts I've seen. Those that do often reduce the resolution to help cope.

The most common answer is to fit a standalone camera in the rear.

There are not many dashcams that reliably push 2 camera feeds onto a single SDCard judging by the continual posts I've seen. Those that do often reduce the resolution to help cope.
I don't think the problem they have is related to data rates

I was having issues with my 522GW with rear window cam freezing seemingly randomly after updating from R16.3 to R18.5.

This was resolved by using a firmware downgrade SD card which Nextbase sent me to take it back to R16.3

For any others with this issue who are on a later version than R16.3, it may be worth outright asking Nextbase support if they can send one out.

Hello,

I just wanted to update this thread. The freezing bug has now been fixed. Please update your 522GWs to Firmware R19.1. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

my Dashcam 522 is always freezing, resetting every day before i drive. but at night it is difficult to find reset button so surely i already have some scratches because i have not found right position.

i am really disappointed, because at the beginning everything was fine.

how can i downgrade my dashcam? please help!

also i can"t find instructions how i can move my picture from rear cam, somehow i moved it to the middle left and i can"t move it back to the upper left corner.

I totally agree with the above posts. I was having freezing issues frequently. Changed card etc as advised by Nextbase support.
Finally decided to downgrade to R16.3 since then touchwood ive not had any freezing issues.

Sal

Hi - I have firmware 19.1 and a Nextbase SD card - and today the 522GW webcam started freezing. Is this being fixed? Reverted to 16.3 which ran 4 days ok but today started freezing.

Last edited:
Back