Nextbase 522gw keeps freezing

Ouch...

And... success! It’s working again :)
Thanks!!
Interesting how the Dashcam worked fine for a month with the SanDisk High Endurance...

I've just realised after having my 522GW for only 2 months it also freezes every journey. Running the latest firmware and a Sandisk Ultra 80mb/s 128gb cars. Should this card be ok or should I get a different one? Going to try the 16.3 firmware tomorrow and see if that helps.

Have a look at my thread here:

and use Speedout to test the true write speed of the card. I'd be interested to see how fast your extreme card can write compared to my trusty Samsung Evo that is still going strong and currently coping with my dashcam writing 1440p @ 60fps without issue.

I have also a problem with the 522 freezing, I expect it to do that at least once a day.

A few observations I have made during the past couple of weeks.

• It stopped freezing as I changed the SD-card, before the camera had froze at least once a day. The replacement was the same brand and type of card, the difference was that the first card was formatted through the camera.
    • Also that the former had been in and out of the camera once each day and regurarly formatted through the camera.
  • With the new card the camera started to freeze after I formated the new card through the camera format function, I had not formatted that card until the third or fourth day of use.
  • After a while with the camera freezing the camera also stopped recording after a few second, the camera turned of the recording it self.
    • And at this point, when I used the function to format the card the camera could not format the card until I had removed and reseated the (same) card into the camera.

The cards is a Samsung Evo Plus 128GB and they are a couple of weeks old and the actual recording usage have been (my estimate) 0,5-4 hours per day (mon - fri).

And as per this thread I will try to format the card in the PC, a full format not a quick format, and see what happens.

Have a look at my thread here:

and use Speedout to test the true write speed of the card. I'd be interested to see how fast your extreme card can write compared to my trusty Samsung Evo that is still going strong and currently coping with my dashcam writing 1440p @ 60fps without issue.

Here are my results from SpeedOut:

1st test
Read 86.5 MB/s
Write 43 MB/s

2nd test
Read 86.5 MB/s
Write 24 MB/s

3rd test
Read 85 MB/s
Write 30 MB/s

Do these look about right? I bought the card from Argos so would assume that it would be genuine. Going to try the 16.3 firmware and see if that helps.

Edit to add, the cam is hardwired properly.

Last edited:
Hmm, I did a full format of my card on my laptop (took about an hour) and installed the 16.3 firmware on my cam, then formatted the card again within the cam. Took it for a 3 hour drive then and it worked perfectly! So hopefully it's fixed now...

I have also a problem with the 522 freezing, I expect it to do that at least once a day.

A few observations I have made during the past couple of weeks.

• It stopped freezing as I changed the SD-card, before the camera had froze at least once a day. The replacement was the same brand and type of card, the difference was that the first card was formatted through the camera.
    • Also that the former had been in and out of the camera once each day and regurarly formatted through the camera.
  • With the new card the camera started to freeze after I formated the new card through the camera format function, I had not formatted that card until the third or fourth day of use.
  • After a while with the camera freezing the camera also stopped recording after a few second, the camera turned of the recording it self.
    • And at this point, when I used the function to format the card the camera could not format the card until I had removed and reseated the (same) card into the camera.

The cards is a Samsung Evo Plus 128GB and they are a couple of weeks old and the actual recording usage have been (my estimate) 0,5-4 hours per day (mon - fri).

And as per this thread I will try to format the card in the PC, a full format not a quick format, and see what happens.

I can add this to the list.
  • The last two days it have either froze when started or it have stopped recording, this evening it froze all times when I had the rear camera connected and never froze when I had the rear camera disconnected. It would not held if I disconnected the cable at the rear camera I had to disconnect the cable (HDMI) at the dash cam and it also froze if had the HDMI plugged in and had disconnected at the rear camera. The rear camera was displayed for half a second on the dash cam and then disapeared.
    I sprayed both connectors HDMI and the plug and when I had sprayed the plug at the end at the rear camera the dash cam started up without a problem (this time).
  • Sometimes the sdcard needs formating in the dashcam if I have formatted the card through windows but not always.

A week later I have had one freeze, two days ago, the HDMI connector to the rear camera felt slightly lose.
I have had around five occasions when the camera cancelled the recording after it have started, it was fixable by either start the recording manually or by turning the camera off and wait for the parking mode function turning it on again.

Which might not be perfect but I would consider that the freezing have stopped although it have happened once.

It seem that cleaning the connectors to the rear camera made it work better regarding the camera freezing.

After using this, https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/, to format the the card I went from 20MB/s to 60 MB/s write.

Hmm, I did a full format of my card on my laptop (took about an hour) and installed the 16.3 firmware on my cam, then formatted the card again within the cam. Took it for a 3 hour drive then and it worked perfectly! So hopefully it's fixed now...
Hi,

Can you tell me how do you remove the update or where did you find 16.3 version? I can't find it anywhere and it seems like the only option will be to replace the camera in the store for a new one which doesn't have the update yet installed.

Nextbase will often send out older firmware versions on request of a support call

Hi,

Can you tell me how do you remove the update or where did you find 16.3 version? I can't find it anywhere and it seems like the only option will be to replace the camera in the store for a new one which doesn't have the update yet installed.

Hi, I used this link: https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/hub/how-to-update-your-firmware/

Under Series 2 you'll see 522GW Firmware Update Guide telling you how to do it, and just to the right there's 522GW (R16.3) for the firmware itself.

I have a 522GW with rear camera in two cars, both running most recent firmware, and both using the same type of SD card, Sandisk 128G Extreme, Class 10, U3, V30. One behaves perfectly, the other has started freezing on startup. It turns on and the small rear camera rectangle briefly appears but then goes, leaving just the front view. In this state the camera is then completely unresponsive. The power button doesn’t work, nor any touch screen controls. The front camera still appears with live video but no recording is taking place. This all sounds similar to the issues in this thread. Is there now a recommended approach to fixing this issue?

Disconnect at the camera, the HDMI connector, if that makes the camera working ok the next step would be to clean the rear and front connector for the rear camera.

It solved my problem with the freezing.

I have a 522GW with rear camera in two cars, both running most recent firmware, and both using the same type of SD card, Sandisk 128G Extreme, Class 10, U3, V30. One behaves perfectly, the other has started freezing on startup. It turns on and the small rear camera rectangle briefly appears but then goes, leaving just the front view. In this state the camera is then completely unresponsive. The power button doesn’t work, nor any touch screen controls. The front camera still appears with live video but no recording is taking place. This all sounds similar to the issues in this thread. Is there now a recommended approach to fixing this issue?

Having exact same problem. Not just with 522gw, but also 422GW. Its not a bad connection
problem, not with everyone screaming
the same thing. Tried the 522gw with different rear cameras and cables. Same issue. Tried the 422gw with same cables and rear cams. Same issues.

Never buying Nextbase again. £300 of kit that doesn't work.

My Dashcam 522GW freezes and alarms continuously. I can stop it by removing the memory card and resetting, but on trying to update software I connect by the USB cable to my computer but it is not recognising the dash cam anymore and the dash cam is waiting to be connected. I put the memory card back in and it goes back into alarm. This was the expensive memory card supplied by Halfords with the dash cam. It is a Nextbase 32GB pro. getting frustrated - can't talk to it by my computer or phone any more. What to do?

Try plugging it into a mobile phone wall brick to update, PC's are often problematic. PC's try to put the dashcam into a different mode than the car or wall socket.

Your card can still be an issue, fully format it, FAT32, and try again.

I managed to get the dash cam talking to the computer with the card removed, then somehow managed to ask it to reformat the card then plugged in the card and it resolved. Not quite sure what sequence I used. I don’t think a power brick or charger would have made much difference as the car voltage would be the same from the USB socket. The yes was starting the cam without the memory card and setting reformat before plugging the card back in.
not a great product having this ‘feature’ (problem).

Just format the card directly on your computer. No need to faff around hooking up the cam to it.

Back