Ordered one, got a different one. Which is better?

spotmom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
RoadhawkHD; Street Guardian; 5 failed mini 080x's
I just ordered a new Street Guardian dash cam on Amazon from Pier 28. I
Ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00SWKQIYC
But I Got This:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00U0OJMYG
Which is the newer better design, able to take the heat and still work? There is a considerable difference in the price, too. Did I get snookered, or did I get the newer, better cam? The specs are exactly the same on Amazon, except the mounts. I really would prefer the suction mount, or a least a way to go to one as I switch cars on occasion.

great choice
for example:
http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison/

ahKr6.jpg

I just ordered a new Street Guardian dash cam on Amazon from Pier 28. I
Ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00SWKQIYC
But I Got This:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00U0OJMYG
Which is the newer better design, able to take the heat and still work? There is a considerable difference in the price, too. Did I get snookered, or did I get the newer, better cam? The specs are exactly the same on Amazon, except the mounts. I really would prefer the suction mount, or a least a way to go to one as I switch cars on occasion.

Hi Sorry about that, we had a flood of SG9665GC orders filled the last week. I must have shipped you one by mistake. I'm happy to refund the difference if you like it. If you want the SGZC12SG I'll send one out with a pre-paid / pre-printed return label for the SG9665GC. I'll send you a PM now. (or email me using the business card contact info in the box)

I also ordered a full size sd card (2 pack of the Lexar 1000x 64gb) for the original camera I ordered so now those are null, too as this other cam takes micro sd.

I also ordered a full size sd card (2 pack of the Lexar 1000x 64gb) for the original camera I ordered so now those are null, too as this other cam takes micro sd.

If you end up wanting to keep the SG9665GC I'll cover the return costs for those as well. I can send some other goodies in a good faith effort to correct things as well. Please check your PM inbox.

Hi Sorry about that, we had a flood of SG9665GC orders filled the last week. I must have shipped you one by mistake. I'm happy to refund the difference if you like it. If you want the SGZC12SG I'll send one out with a pre-paid / pre-printed return label for the SG9665GC. I'll send you a PM now. (or email me using the business card contact info in the box)

Well, which is the newer, better camera? what would you recommend I do, keep this one or return it for the other? I wanted the best I could get, I am sick of the Mini 080x nightmare I have been through (the last one literally melted open one afternoon, and I am in Alaska, where it doesn't get very hot)

It is sounding like the one I received is the better one, but if so, why the lower price?

They are both excellent products.

SGZC12SG

Zoran Coach CPU 5 Seconds of Pre-Buffered motion detection. (so you capture the moments leading up to the g-sensor/motion event) SD cards up to 512GB Internal GPS Touch Screen. Can aim left/right/all around (more mounting options, easier to take along to a rental car etc) Super wide angle lens Supports direct 12v-24v in (with no power adapter most other USB powered dashcam products require)

SG9665GC

Novatek NT96655 CPU Pause/Resume motion detection system microSD cards up to 64GB External GPS Regular Screen Fixed front only but glass hugging extra compact design Medium wide angle lens 5v miniUSB (need power adapter)

Both have super caps for high heat resistance. Both have good night performance via the Sony IMX322 Sensor. I think the GC has a slight edge on picture quality.

GC costs less because it's a different parking mode system with/without pre-buffer, touch screen/no touch screen, and full size SD card vs microSD etc. The factory prices are different as well. (different factories)

I think the touch screen and larger card capacity was one of my decision makers, although I never even saw the SG9665GC when I was making up my mind. I have studied dash cams till I can't stand it trying to replace the mini 0803 that I also studied long and hard on (and had to return several failures, I quit) Now I am faced with a decision again! I get analysis paralysis (the act of studying something so much nothing actually ever comes of it)and there is no cure.

Anybody out there want to help me decide if I should keep this one or hold out for the one I originally ordered?

I think the touch screen and larger card capacity was one of my decision makers, although I never even saw the SG9665GC when I was making up my mind. I have studied dash cams till I can't stand it trying to replace the mini 0803 that I also studied long and hard on (and had to return several failures, I quit) Now I am faced with a decision again! I get analysis paralysis (the act of studying something so much nothing actually ever comes of it)and there is no cure.

Anybody out there want to help me decide if I should keep this one or hold out for the one I originally ordered?

Check out the reviews and sample videos.
Not many will have both models to compare side-by-side.
Features and specs are listed so that is easy to check and decide what you like.

Compare sample videos, features, size etc... and decide on what you want.

Nice reviews. The SG9665GC seems to have the nicer/sharper video. The one thing that would make or break it for me is the "emergency" or manual save button. On the crappy cam I have now, if I push that button it records a minute of video, some before, some during & some after the event I wanted to save. The "before" insures I get the incident I want to save manually.

Does te SG9665GC do that? Or when I push the button I only get what is immediately in front of the cam? Since at driving speed and the time it takes to find and hit the button the event will likely have been passed that is important to consider.

Nice reviews. The SG9665GC seems to have the nicer/sharper video. The one thing that would make or break it for me is the "emergency" or manual save button. On the crappy cam I have now, if I push that button it records a minute of video, some before, some during & some after the event I wanted to save. The "before" insures I get the incident I want to save manually.

Does te SG9665GC do that? Or when I push the button I only get what is immediately in front of the cam? Since at driving speed and the time it takes to find and hit the button the event will likely have been passed that is important to consider.

For EU customers I am offering this solution:

Easily accessible Emergency / Lock / Accident Button for SG9665GC

I am sure you can find it in your local store as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is easy enough to fix, my real question is - does it "pre-record" a little before when the lock button is pushed? I know it does not in parking/motion mode, but what about the manual button push? I can't find any answer in the online user manual either.

Looking at specs I am leaning toward going with my original order of the SGZC12SG since it will also tolerate more heat. And I do like the bigger screen & buttons plus a touch screen. Aging eyes, you know.

Digging through older posts someone said the SGZC12SG records 5 seconds from buffer and 30 seconds of event on manual lock so I think I will go with my original choice. And it has been around longer so maybe the bugs are worked out??
Now to go back to waiting for my dash cam again.

it doesn't pre record, if that's a deciding factor then better off with the SGZC12SG, it won't be a problem to have it swapped over

Replied to the PM with details

I got the SG9665GC as its a solid mount, more stealth(mainly) and smaller and harder to see and I have motion detection turned off and record all the time with 128GB card.
I don't like suction cup ones as you can bump them, move them and run into something it could end up pointing to the sky.

I am sure I can do a different mount if need be, but the other features of the SGZC12SG seem to fit my need more. I have made up my mind. Bummed I had to rethink my decision when I thought I had spent too much time on it already.

Back