Panorama X2 firmware 1.02.03 (Rear Parking mode camera recording enhanced / Stability Improved)

if a customer breaks it it's not covered under warranty, pretty much standard for everyone,

Rubbish. If your product doesn't bloody work and needs an update to fix it, then that release bricks the unit it's a warranty call, just like any other manufacturer. It shouldn't be picked up by the retailer or the customer. Otherwise your saying all units are rtb for firmware upgrades.

If the customer installs a non stock firmware, then fair enough. But official firmare should be customer installable, just like any other gps, router, phone or camera.

Rubbish. If your product doesn't bloody work and needs an update to fix it, then that release bricks the unit it's a warranty call, just like any other manufacturer. It shouldn't be picked up by the retailer or the customer. Otherwise your saying all units are rtb for firmware upgrades.

If the customer installs a non stock firmware, then fair enough.
Yeah, was just about to comment that effectively the manufacturer is saying "buy the product from me as is and if there are any future updates available by firmware upgrade, then these features are available at your own risk".... Doesn't make sense to me

If you follow instructions it won't be an issue, if you do it incorrectly and brick it then it's an issue

The only way you can brick this platform when updating is to cut power during the update process, the responsibility to make sure power is stable lies with whoever is doing the update

Only one person has done that to date, Pier28 covered it anyway as a goodwill gesture but it was the customer that got it wrong, he had a fault which was causing the power to drop out after 30 seconds which was a cable issue, he tried doing a firmware update and killed it in the process

The only way you can brick this platform when updating is to cut power during the update process, the responsibility to make sure power is stable lies with whoever is doing the update

Only one person has done that to date, Pier28 covered it anyway as a goodwill gesture but it was the customer that got it wrong, he had a fault which was causing the power to drop out after 30 seconds which was a cable issue, he tried doing a firmware update and killed it in the process
According to what you've just said, that's an issue for alot of us, as I've had to pull the power during the update as it's frozen. Or if it's frozen then it's no longer actually updating and ok to remove the power?

Well I was told to pull the power when it froze by Jon so.....

I'm struggling to believe what I'm reading here.

....It was the customers fault for using a faulty cable while updating his firmware.

Were both the firmware and the cable provided by the manufacturer in the first place?

Faulty firmware (because it needed updating), faulty power cable, (the whole batch were dud) but it was the customers fault because he didn't ensure a stable power supply. Wow!

Frozen firmware update, locks the device. Only option is to pull the power, but it would be an issue! Double wow!

I'm very very glad I didn't buy a street guardian.

I'm struggling to believe what I'm reading here.

....It was the customers fault for using a faulty cable while updating his firmware.

Were both the firmware and the cable provided by the manufacturer in the first place?

Faulty firmware (because it needed updating), faulty power cable, (the whole batch were dud) but it was the customers fault because he didn't ensure a stable power supply. Wow!

Frozen firmware update, locks the device. Only option is to pull the power, but it would be an issue! Double wow!

I'm very very glad I didn't buy a street guardian.

Way to go for taking things out of context

Customer had a power supply issue, his own idea was to update firmware thinking that was the fix, obviously not and Jon covered under warranty anyway, firmware is provided with instructions, some people read that, some don't and some don't understand the implications

If you're following information provided by Jon and it goes wrong that's not your fault
I know I can always rely on Jon for top customer service and because of that great customer/retailer relationship he promotes I would feel much more uncomfortable forcing him to have to foot the bill for something like this

What am I supposed to do? Keep the engine running for 12 hours until USA and China wake up before I get an answer?

You're doing well at coming up with imaginary situations, I've yet to see anyone that has been left to their own devices and hasn't been offered all the help possible

You're doing well at coming up with imaginary situations, I've yet to see anyone that has been left to their own devices and hasn't been offered all the help possible

What am I imagining now? I'm following the instructions like you're telling me I must do.

Always make sure engine is running and power is 100% stable before the update.

If I don't, either I get shafted or worse Jon does. If it sounds stupid or petty, then please remember it's because YOU are making it that way.

So what am I expected to do from the manufacturers viewpoint? I've had the situation occur, if it happens again, what action should I take so that I don't get blamed for bricking the unit. After shipping, currency conversion and customs duty, it's a $750 question to me.

All you have to do is follow instructions from Jon, if you do that you don't have an issue

If you follow his instructions and you brick it Jon is the one that loses out so it is obviously in his interest to do everything he can to help you out

Whatever happens though don't make it that I'm the one making it this way, it's not my product, not my rules

Jon sells our product and stands behind it, I support him with that fully

You're just avoiding the question now instead of answering it. I guess we'll just accept Street Guardian has a 'not our fault' mentality and be grateful we didn't buy one.

Whatever happens though don't make it that I'm the one making it this way, it's not my product, not my rules

We weren't discussing the product, we were discussing a manufacturer attitude towards blaming customers for firmware upgrade issues. They were your comments.

If you're now going to say not my product, not my rules then perhaps you shouldn't be commenting in topics that don't relate to your products in the first instance.

We've never left anyone stranded with a product, not the way we do business

Likewise Pier28 has never left anyone without support

You're just avoiding the question now instead of answering it. I guess we'll just accept Street Guardian has a 'not our fault' mentality and be grateful we didn't buy one.

We weren't discussing the product, we were discussing a manufacturer attitude towards blaming customers for firmware upgrade issues. They were your comments.

If you're now going to say not my product, not my rules then perhaps you shouldn't be commenting in topics that don't relate to your products in the first instance.
I may not agree with absolutely everything @jokiin has said here, but I won't allow you to slag him off like that. He's probably the top contributor here, he is available for help and questions ANY time of the day and he's extremely knowledgeable in many many areas. His help and advice is invaluable here and you'll do well to realise that my friend

Back