Street Guardian SG9663DC (DC = Dual Channel)

Yeah- another downside of dual-channel cams in the card's half-length life before overwriting :(...
Yep, now I'll need a 256GB card to get the same recording time as I do with a 128GB. :cry: Good news is I'll only need 1 card for front and rear versus 2 now. :rolleyes:

time life of sdcard will be haft short as it used to be.

High Endurance cards are best for maximum life with heavier usage. Transcend High Endurance or Sandisk (white) High Endurance cards are good.

High Endurance cards are best for maximum life with heavier usage. Transcend High Endurance or Sandisk (white) High Endurance cards are good.

I don't necessarily disagree but I have plain old 32GB and 64GB name brand cards by Transcend and Kingston that have been in nearly full time dash cam use for seven years now in all kinds of extreme conditions that are still working fine. God only knows how many hours are on these things. This experience has led me to believe there are misconceptions and perhaps a certain amount of hype surrounding the expected service life of microSD cards in dash cams. I'm not suggesting high endurance cards don't perform as advertised, I'm suggesting they may not be money well spent when you could just buy another "standard" card if and when you need one or perhaps keep a few around for spares as I do.

I am perplexed on the memory matter too, i had some cards fail me pretty fast, but then having them swapped for a new one they most often performed really well.

I have 2 brands / models in 128 Gb to serve up for any dual channel dashcam, and i really feel like 128 Gb should be the minimum.
Unfortunately the 256 Gb cards are just way out of my league, at least for another couple of years until i am done paying for the little red lightning.

Meanwhile i have my eye on another brand/model 128GB card for my test suite of memory cards.

dk-evo-microsd-card-with-sd-adapter-100-mb-mp128ga-eu-frontorange-61626215

I don't necessarily disagree but I have plain old 32GB and 64GB name brand cards by Transcend and Kingston that have been in nearly full time dash cam use for seven years now in all kinds of extreme conditions that are still working fine. God only knows how many hours are on these things. This experience has led me to believe there are misconceptions and perhaps a certain amount of hype surrounding the expected service life of microSD cards in dash cams. I'm not suggesting high endurance cards don't perform as advertised, I'm suggesting they may not be money well spent when you could just buy another "standard" card if and when you need one or perhaps keep a few around for spares as I do.

good quality cards are always the best starting point, writing two 15mbit data streams at once and the associated file handling that goes with that can push the limits of the cards so the better quality High Endurance and faster U3 cards that use MLC flash and incorporate some error checking functionality in the controller are the most suitable type of card for dual channel models, that's not to say that other good quality cards may not be suitable

Thats also part of my reasoning using U3 cards, 2 small steams for a total of 30 Mbit really should be a breeze for such a card.

I would guess that if you was hitting such a U3 card with close to its 80 - 90 MB/s write speed than yeah sure it should last a shorter time, so i am thinking hitting such a card with 10% of the write speed it is cable off should be like working lying down.

good quality cards are always the best starting point, writing two 15mbit data streams at once and the associated file handling that goes with that can push the limits of the cards so the better quality High Endurance and faster U3 cards that use MLC flash and incorporate some error checking functionality in the controller are the most suitable type of card for dual channel models, that's not to say that other good quality cards may not be suitable

I do see your point. It would be still be interesting to see just how well standard cards hold up on a dual channel dash cam. I maintain that standard cards are more durable than many people here on DCT give them credit for.

I do see your point. It would be still be interesting to see just how well standard cards hold up on a dual channel dash cam. I maintain that standard cards are more durable than many people here on DCT give them credit for.

durability is no problem on the good quality Class 10 U1 cards, the cards that use MLC memory and/or have ECC ability built into the controller are better fit for what we need for dual channel, there's often a lot of things going on at once, more read/write activity than we see with single channel products

Each Street Guardian distributor decides which cards to bundle with the DC.

For the North America market, Street Guardian USA is thinking of using Samsung EVO Select 64GB cards for the base package
(100MB/s & 90MB/s read & write speeds respectively; Class 10 UHS 3)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XX29S9Q
Or would people prefer an official "High Endurance" card?
I'd love to use Transcend U3 / V30 m.SD cards which are confirmed MLC grade high endurance + extreme high speed. (but there is a shortage, with crazy high 2-3 times normal prices for now)

Sandisk (white "High Endurance") cards are preferred over Lexar (Lexar is using Cheaper materials lately to keep prices down during the global card shortage)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00V5Q1N1I
U3 vs High Endurance? Thoughts? It's unclear if Samsung Select is MLC or can be considered High Endurance or not as well. (or if it even matters)

I thought I'd ask for some opinions before I place a large order soon.

Last edited:
Each Street Guardian distributor decides which cards to bundle with the DC.

For the North America market, Street Guardian USA is thinking of using Samsung EVO Select 64GB cards for the base package
(100MB/s & 90MB/s read & write speeds respectively; Class 10 UHS 3)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XX29S9Q
this ones has 10 year warranty compared to the 2 year warranty on the ultra one.

I don't think you need top-of-the-line cards, but you positively needs cards which are rated to handle the expected data-flow and which you feel comfortable relying on ;)

IMHO Samsung quality is on par with Transcend- can't go wrong with either of these brands. I was thinking of trying a PNY when I last bought, but the cost was slightly higher. Haven't seen much here about PNY lately, are they still good? Having kept up with the MLC card thread here (although some of it is more than I really understand) it seems there are very few real choices at that level.

I'd prefer to have a discount available to buy without a card as 64GB won't be enough for me. Have any of the beta testers used a 128GB card yet? I can't remember as I just started on my coffee this morning :coffee:

Phil

we still need to do further testing to determine what cards are suitable or not, we know already that some cheaper grade cards can be an issue where good quality cards have been glitch free

There is no use making a decent camera and finding that people are having issues with such a variety of cards

There is no doubt that manufacturers/retailers should sell/recommend cards that they test with the camera

fake card - a periodic stop recording

aqJ0Y.jpg

aqJ10.jpg

aqJ11.jpg

original memory card - Kingston microSDXC SDC10G2/64GB Class 10 UHS-I - All ok

aqJ1b.jpg

aqJ1g.jpg

There is no use making a decent camera and finding that people are having issues with such a variety of cards

There is no doubt that manufacturers/retailers should sell/recommend cards that they test with the camera

the main reason we supply all cameras with cards is so that we know what cards are going to be used, no surprises when people are left to their own devices they go and buy the cheapest card they can find which often turn out to be fake and no end of trouble, amazed how often people do that and think the camera has a fault and not their bargain 64GB card they bought for $10, can waste a lot of time troubleshooting stuff like that

30 megabits is less than 4 MegaBytes (per second). No U1 or U3 should be necessary at all, if cards perform according to stated ratings. Unfortunately, no one has yet been able to squeeze more than 64GB of MLC NAND on a microSD card for true "high endurance" use. The Samsung EVO+ 256GB used their unique V-NAND setup that might prove to be the future in cards, as it provides the speed and apparently at least the endurance of a quality MLC module.

But I think the reality is that MLC won't work and the V-NAND will remain expensive for a while, which means a regular old TLC card (even better with ECC) from a reputable manufacturer who doesn't void warranties due to dash cam use would be most appropriate. Until such a beast exists, for a dual channel I'm holding out for a remote version. I'm hoping a full size SD slot will become available, which would open up options tremendously, though I seem to recall that being rejected for some reason.

Back