Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

I think you have a lot more interaction than you've been able to with any other brands, ideas actually get listened to...
More than just listening, they manage to understand what you are asking for and why you are asking for it!

It is not always easy for someone who doesn't drive to understand something like why you might need a lot of bitrate for a racetrack when the camera gives a perfectly good image looking across the office under fluorescent lighting.

I'll just leave this here... :D
Oh, no! :( Yours is more nice than mine. This is always when I get early factory sample. :confused: :D
We see it is larger than A118 but I hope for some people where was no space to fit the A118 between mirror and windshield now to be possible to fit the A119 at least with the no-GPS mount.

My idea about testers, maybe will be better in this way:
- if doing review about camera, to open a new thread and post there tester videos, for example "Gibson99 review about Viofo A119 dashcam" or what title you like, but I think is better to use also the Viofo name because if will be a good camera some fakers to start faking the A119 model, even giving the A119 name like they did with SJ5000 for example

- when want to show or report something to do it here, in this thread so in this way to be easy for Viofo user to read the testers feedback.

enjoy,
Mtz

I agree with what @Mtz said about posting the reviews in separate threads.
I am anxious to get my sample to try it but I know the shipping to Romania takes 3 to 5 weeks to arrive and @viofo did not confirmed that the package left or not China.

So far my only complaint is that the a118 mount plate does not fit - the a118 plate is just slightly wider. But if I trimmed the plate, it looks like it would fit, since the slot in the camera looks the same. Obviously that's for the non-gps model like I received since the gps antenna will be built into the base similar to the mini series. However, this camera isn't mounted off to one side like the mini, so it will be more solid.

Soon I will provide more photos of the exterior and interior of the camera. :)

So far my only complaint is that the a118 mount plate does not fit - the a118 plate is just slightly wider. But if I trimmed the plate, it looks like it would fit, since the slot in the camera looks the same. Obviously that's for the non-gps model like I received since the gps antenna will be built into the base similar to the mini series. However, this camera isn't mounted off to one side like the mini, so it will be more solid.

Soon I will provide more photos of the exterior and interior of the camera. :)

I would like to see the mount slide up the windshield instead of slide down to secure like the A118. This way it can be snugged up to the headliner rather than leave a space. Or maybe sideways.

That would have to be a completely different kind of Mount if it slid up to lock in place. Maybe have some sort of clip so it can't fall back down. Otherwise it would fall in short order, especially in vehicles with stiff suspension like my Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. Sideways would be easier but still have possibility of falling off during hard cornering. Can't make anything that works perfectly in 100% of the vehicles out there... At least the wires come out of the sides now so you can get a lot closer to the headliner.

The Rexing I have now clicks into place. No way it comes loose without substantial force. Unclicks with some force making removal no problem. It just goes in the wrong direction and leaves about 1/2 inch. Not a major issue but its good to get it as high as possible to keep it hidden from outside. That's one of the biggest appeals of this form factor.

The Rexing I have now clicks into place. No way it comes loose without substantial force. Unclicks with some force making removal no problem. It just goes in the wrong direction and leaves about 1/2 inch. Not a major issue but its good to get it as high as possible to keep it hidden from outside. That's one of the biggest appeals of this form factor.
With both my Tacoma and my wife's Highlander, it's not an issue because the dots prevent me from mounting it anywhere near the headliner.

With both my Tacoma and my wife's Highlander, it's not an issue because the dots prevent me from mounting it anywhere near the headliner.
I hate that. Just a tinted visor on my current car. Can't even really see the cam on the inside (behind mirror) or outside. This form factor is the best IMO.

Just noticed that A119 using subpar and really tiny OV4689 sensor while SJCAM M20 using IMX208 and even no brand M20 IMX117. Really a huge bummer.

OV4689 spec (size is only 1/3)
http://www.ovt.com/download_document.php?type=sensor&sensorid=136

IMX117 spec (size 1/2.3)
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_archives/img/pdf/vol_70/imx117cqt.pdf

IMX208 spec (size 1/2.3)
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/new_pro/december_2013/imx206_e.html

Also saw comparison between really old mini 0806 which I still use and this and I don't see any difference that would warrant a premium price for this new device.

Viofo A119 night comparison with other 3 cameras:

Snapshots gallery. The snapshots were taken from original videos without any reencode of any of them and the snapshots were saved is PNG format to preserve original quality.

enjoy,
Mtz

Is obvious that "the fight" of 2016 generation dashcam will be night image quality. In optimal day conditions is obviously that almost every dashcam can shoot (even license blades). I don't refer to cheap "full hd" cameras.
This also will reflect in size of movies (time lapse photo shots came as a solution for long trips).
GPS is something that many will not use so the battle will be for nigh quality/price.
I like fixed mounts of Viofo and Mini series, still left/right adjustments will be good. Is good that A119 have this option.
It would be nice a second mount (as optional) for the one that wants to moove the camera left/right or to use it as rear camera. An small variant would be nice, not that huge suction coups.

Hmmm , looks like the only cam to be slightly better was the XIAOYI YI ...
But over all , between the sample lot the A119 looks to have done rather well .

I agree with what @Mtz said about posting the reviews in separate threads.
I am anxious to get my sample to try it but I know the shipping to Romania takes 3 to 5 weeks to arrive and @viofo did not confirmed that the package left or not China.
We have shipped all of the samples.
But sorry to my mistake, some packages does not come with the mount, the mount is sent in another separate package.
But no problem for @Padwanjoe shipment, you will receive 2 mounts.

Just noticed that A119 using subpar and really tiny OV4689 sensor while SJCAM M20 using IMX208 and even no brand M20 IMX117. Really a huge bummer.

IMX117 spec (size 1/2.3)
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_archives/img/pdf/vol_70/imx117cqt.pdf

IMX208 spec (size 1/2.3)

Also saw comparison between really old mini 0806 which I still use and this and I don't see any difference that would warrant a premium price for this new device.
The M20 use IMX206 instead of IMX208. :)
I don't believe the no brand M20 use the IMX117, if you search on Taobao, you will find many Chinese action cams declared using IMX117.
Even I am surprised to find that Amkov declared using Ambarella Chipset and Sony 20MP sensor in China market.

IMX117 spec (size 1/2.3)

IMX208 spec (size 1/2.3)

The 4689 is a good sensor, not the very best but still a good sensor with reasonable resolution but still decent size pixels.

Presumably that IMX117 in the no brand M20 will be a fake IMX117!

And while the IMX206 in the SJCAM M20 is a great sensor, the 16 million tiny pixels are too small for great night time video, and why would you want 16 million pixels if you are recording HD video with only 2 million or even for 4K video with 8 million. On the M20 you can use them for photographs, but 4:3 photographs are pointless for a dashcam, the 2 million at the top and 2 million at the bottom will never be used because for a dashcam you want 16:9, or even 21:9.

If you want a better sensor then wait for the 's' version of this dashcam ;)

For me the OV4689 is the best „non-Sony” sensor and I discovered this in Mini 0806 beta tests more than one year ago.
I like fixed mounts of Viofo and Mini series, still left/right adjustments will be good. Is good that A119 have this option.
For fixed mounts you described a small correction is possible just to obtain a perfect centered image like the solution of 0806 and A119.
For me seems that Viofo first is reading forums, listen people complaints, feedback and ideas and then is starting making a camera not like most chinese manufacturers, even big like XiaoYi, which are creating dashcams in some office by some guys without any experience in dashcam world.
Then is coming the after sale firmware support which until now was very good for my factory sample which received about 7-8 firmware updates in two months.

But as other users reported the top-to-bottom mount idea of A119 is losing some space which can be important for small windshields, but also with right-to-left can not be so good for some rearview mirrors if you want a very hidden camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks for those shots Mtz, it sure looks like the A119 has great night quality and this is not even the A119S correct? I will be getting a sample A119 and I have ordered a 1S for comparison as well.

Back