Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

I don't have the A119S because is not ready but can be some situation when A119 to win over A119S. We will see.

enjoy,
Mtz

I don't have the A119S because is not ready but can be some situation when A119 to win over A119S. We will see.

enjoy,
Mtz
You think it will be like the differences between git1 and git2 cameras, where both have their strengths and weaknesses, and the git1 is better than the git2 in certain situations?

Is just a supposition, I never tested an IMX291 CMOS. In all tests I made the A119 is the best in low light compared to all my cameras tested and then I had this question: can be the IMX291 even brighter in the same situations?

enjoy,
Mtz

@Mtz what do you think of the Aptina AR0230 as that seems to have some promise in the comparisons you've posted?

My A119 sample arrived today too thank-you Viofo, it seems a very nicely made unit and the larger screen is nice on these in comparison to the A118.

I'm not sure if @viofo want to ask @DashCamMan to spin up a private forum for testing of these or are these pretty close to release now?

The menus etc all seem to have been simplified nicely.

Not sure if it's possible to add a speaker volume setting instead of just off / on as I think some people may want it quieter. It's not a bad thing but I can foresee some people getting upset about the loud double beep when they've forgotten to put in a microSD card - on the flipside that means that warning is working well :D

With AR0230 Aptina failed again to be a favorite CMOS for me.
Your A119 samples are almost finished products, the firmware seems mature, so now I think is too late for a private forum.
Maybe some volume steps for the beep, but I consider more important the warning sound and I am afraid that sometimes can be too quiet if user is set the lowest volume. But I agree with your proposal.

enjoy,
Mtz

You've done a good job mate as this seems really nice, the fact the lens tilts sideways is nice as well, I'm going to temporarily chuck it in the car without a mount I think to see how she looks :)

Reactions: Mtz
This seems a very interesting cam, I am wondering what the finished product's video quality will be like against the Shadow 1s, as well as the Joovoo X and the infamous SG9665GC

I just received my A119 from @viofo, just the mount haven't arrived yet. First impression is that it seems like a solid built dashcam. Went through the menu options and saw different resolution settings (2560x1440P @30fps, 2304x1296P @30fps, 1920x1080P @60fps, 1920x1080p @30fps and so on...) Haven't really tested out the video quality yet among the different resolutions.

For those who have the cam, when you delete files one by one in playback mode, once you deleted all of the files, can you exit the playback mode? It seems to me that I have to turn off the camera and turn it back on in order for it to go back to the video recording mode. I noticed when I had 1 file left, I can exit the playback mode by pressing the "Menu" button, but when there is no files, no button responds in playback mode except holding the power button to turn it off.

edit: Here's some photos of the device + the menu options available on the device.
imgur album of the device/setting
4GAZZ73.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at your imgur pictures I observed that your USB cable is not angled and I expect A119 to have angled cable (and also a dual USB slot quality charger).

enjoy,
Mtz

Looking at your imgur pictures I observed that your USB cable is not angled and I expect A119 to have angled cable (and also a dual USB slot quality charger).

enjoy,
Mtz

It's not the cable it came with, I was powering it via power banks and a regular USB cable. However, the power adapter that it shipped with was not angled either. It's just a straight mini USB car adapter, similar to the one it came with for the A118C

You think it will be like the differences between git1 and git2 cameras, where both have their strengths and weaknesses, and the git1 is better than the git2 in certain situations?
Is just a supposition, I never tested an IMX291 CMOS. In all tests I made the A119 is the best in low light compared to all my cameras tested and then I had this question: can be the IMX291 even brighter in the same situations?

enjoy,
Mtz
No point having two versions if they don't have advantages and disadvantages over each other!

It will be interesting to test an OV4689 against an IMX291, there should certainly be a big difference between those two. But first we need a camera with an IMX291 starlight sensor in it! I was expecting the Viofo A119s to have a somewhat smaller difference than that...

Anyone knows the sd specs for Viofo A119? Users should know which sd card perform better.

I try to guess the right specs, please tell me if I'm wrong:
SD format: Micro SD (no SDXC)
Speed class: class 4 or class 6 or class 10
Viofo A119 records at 20.2 Mbit/s (that is 2,52 MB/s). Consider video write mode is a huge sequential write of bytes, so it should be the fastest write mode (if compared to casual writing). With slow sd cards you can have frame dropping and other issues, so I think you should have at least a class 10 UHS 1.

I'll buy a Samsung Evo Plus 64 sd class 10 U1. Samsung grants 20 MB/s in write mode and in thewirecutter test the sd got a huge 55 MB/s (here a speed comparison of class 10 UHS U1 sd cards).

@Mtz: when you enable gps, Viofo creates a srt/ssa file with extra info or these info are hardcoded/embedded in the video track?

Last edited:
I see no problems even using Class 6 cards.

For the moment nobody has the GPS module, but I think the format inside video is not ssa or srt, but Registrator Viewer it is exporting in this way to be easy played by software video players. Regarding Registrator Viewer will be a future problem because Novatek is updating the GPS code and unfortunately Vadim died so will be no future updates.

enjoy.
Mtz

the newer Novatek chipsets GPS format is different, it doesn't work with Registrator Viewer unfortunately

As a newcomer, I'm put off GPS due to it possibly incriminating me in an otherwise no fault accident if I were slightly over the speed limit.

I ought to know where I am if I have an accident, and I'm sure I can use my phone's GPS to find my location otherwise?

What are the other benefits of GPS, if any?

I'd only be concerned about GPS if your speed is hard coded in the video and there's no option to disable that, there are some models like that, if not then it's your choice whether to display your speed or not, your speed could be calculated from the video regardless should someone want to do that

I see, but I can't see any other benefit other than recording my location, which I know anyhow?

As a newcomer, I'm put off GPS due to it possibly incriminating me in an otherwise no fault accident if I were slightly over the speed limit.

I ought to know where I am if I have an accident, and I'm sure I can use my phone's GPS to find my location otherwise?

What are the other benefits of GPS, if any?

Proves beyond any reasonable doubt that you were not speeding ( creating a contributing factor )
But there are mathematical techniques for working out speed in anyway .
So if you do like speeding , then you may delay the inevitable .

But yeah , works for you , or it works against you ..
Every cam I have that has GPS , the GPS is enabled .
I try very hard not to speed .. Not even a little bit ... ( But that's just me )
Same goes with the cam , it is also a double edged sword ( Cuts both ways )
Also watch that audio , nothing like saying something silly that might bite you hard !

@Mtz what do you think of the Aptina AR0230 as that seems to have some promise in the comparisons you've posted?
The next video is not only about Aptina AR0230 but also about Viofo A119:

The XiaoYi is looking bad in the day comparison compared to my night comparison when Yi image was OK. You can see now why AR0230 can not be a favorite CMOS for me.

enjoy,
Mtz

I'd be more intrigued to see the AR0230 performance mixed with a better lens mount and lens to be honest before writing it off just yet surely?

Back