Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

Hi Bill @viofo : you made the decision to use metal lens holder based only on users preference or you tested the current lens mount and found out it has focus problems under heat?
I made a 8 hours test with car parked under direct sun today and was no problem with the focus. I think they want to use metal because sounds better as marketing, for sales purposes. When people will hear lens holder is metal, will buy with more confidence.

enjoy,
Mtz

Metal is always better quality than plastic (and higher quality) ;) Just like all the new smartphones this day... Some sort of metal used.

I had to jury rig a mount, mine hasn't arrived yet, and I'm heading out for another month of 'fun' on the road. :)
I tried using a shaved down B40 mount, but it won't work on the more vertical windshield of the truck. (Rotating lens protrudes beyond the body of the cam.)
I assume the 'non gps' mount is thicker than a B40 type plate?

I ended up using a magnetic mount with a steel ball setup, seems to work OK.

Not much time or bandwidth to upload videos, but color seems good. 1080/60fps

azaleas2.JPG

No question the colors are nice and bright, but are they realistic? The sky seems awfully blue, but other than that the picture sure looks nice and clear and in focus over the whole range. My mount should be delivered in the next day or so, so will be waiting for me when I get home.

In some conditions the whole image is not blue anymore, so the white balance is creating that blue tint, I think.

enjoy,
Mtz

Lets try 2304 x 1296 again ( was funky before )
Whats different , ferrite choke !

Dont know why the video corrupted like that ...
Anyhow , ferrite choke should filter out any noise in the power line ..
First part is with Audio Disabled , and 2nd part with the audio enabled .. ( Audio enabled was the other variable )

In some conditions the whole image is not blue anymore, so the white balance is creating that blue tint, I think.

enjoy,
Mtz

The darker or more grey it is , the more blue there seems to be ...
Im not sure it can be corrected except VIA firmware update .. ( Firmware setting )

I think I am done playing with the video settings , can we play with the other features ?
( I will leave this one on 2560 x 1440 x 30FPS )

There is lane departure warning and a warning for getting to close to the car in front I believe ..

The blue may be a bit heavy. Hard to tell at this point, but will compare it to other cams when I have time. I haven't touched any exposure settings.

Here are some screenshots from highway footage at night.

night1.JPG

night1.JPG night2.JPGnight3.JPG night4.JPG

Very nice, number plates, street signs easily read. Other than the unusually blue sky it looks great.

That was in reply to Old's post...

Dash, what frame rate were you using for those night shots?

1080 60fps

Just tried the motion detection mode in my parked truck. The 'Rec' button flashes in between video being triggered, and the damn thing beeps loudly unless you turn the 'beep' off in the menu. (Beeps continuously.....dit dit, dit dit, dit dit....)
Turned the beep off. Will see what triggers video overnight, vehicles, pedestrians, etc.

2rw81sn.jpg

Adjusting EV does nothing for the blue .... ( Backwards (8) = EV - 0 and (2) = EV -2 , steps are 1/3
Looks like it needs to be tweaked in the firmware

lol, I was watching this thinking, OMG the quality is so poor, it must be Youtube or early FW., then I realised I had it on 360p mode. FAil :p

Lets try 2304 x 1296 again ( was funky before )
Whats different , ferrite choke !

Dont know why the video corrupted like that ...
Anyhow , ferrite choke should filter out any noise in the power line ..
First part is with Audio Disabled , and 2nd part with the audio enabled .. ( Audio enabled was the other variable )

1080 60fps

Just tried the motion detection mode in my parked truck. The 'Rec' button flashes in between video being triggered, and the damn thing beeps loudly unless you turn the 'beep' off in the menu. (Beeps continuously.....dit dit, dit dit, dit dit....)
Turned the beep off. Will see what triggers video overnight, vehicles, pedestrians, etc.
So the firmware must be adjusted to not beep and blink when Motion detect is enabled. For parking mode only using the G-Sensor feature is impossible because G-Sensor is used also for normal mode so the user needs to turn off beep.

enjoy,
Mtz

So the firmware must be adjusted to not beep and blink when Motion detect is enabled

I have not had the chance to try this yet, but I can see where having an led blink to indicate motion detected would be ok, but not the beep that's for sure.

Motion detection didn't seen to work well on this camera unless whatever is moving is very close to the lens. A large truck passing in front of my parked truck, 20 feet away, didn't trigger recording.
Turned it off. No big deal, just slight hope it would yield a minor 'parking mode' of limited use.
I also noticed the beeping at one point while i was driving last night. The motion detection was off, not sure what it was from?

The REC button blinks all the time when NO motion is detected while in this mode, and the camera is not recording. Beep also, if turned on. When it's recording beep stops, LED on REC button is solid.

The backlit REC button stands out well at night. Don't see any other LED on the camera? Only indication it's recording is the flashing red icon on the screen?

Screenshots from the a119 and a mobius C, from roughly the same time period.

day.JPG mobiuscday.JPG

The mobius is probably closer with the blue of the sky, but not so much.

It is offtopic but in your Mobius snapshot you can see better the 2400 from the truck compared to Viofo, but this is also because the Mobius have smaller FOV so all objects are captured more closer so you will see more details for closer objects.
But when looking far away, for example on the left side at the windows of white building or over that building the objects appear more clear. Is possible that your Mobius to have lens problems because of heat? Or focus is adjusted in another way?

enjoy,
Mtz

Back