Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
It is good because you are using the Prerelease sample in your title, people will know that is not the retail version where things will be improved.

enjoy,
Mtz

Since my mount still haven't arrived yet and I plan on moving from vehicle to vehicle to test it with different camera(s)...
Temporarily solution for me...
k43y3zZ.jpg

A118C - A119 - Xiaomi Yi Action Cam
lOMsjdh.jpg

snO18s9.jpg

SAlERxx.jpg

Will post sample footage of the A119 soon. And after I go through the footage on all the camera and maybe combine them into a single video to compare on YouTube. Will also upload to Google Drive/Dropbox for raw footage of the camera. Don't have fast Internet so it might take some time on posting videos...

Why not tried to put the A119 on the left side of rearview mirror? I expect A118 can not enter there, but A119 without or with non-GPS mount should fit between windshield and mirror.
The tapes should be longer, right now your A119 is possible to fall down.

enjoy,
Mtz

Why not tried to put the A119 on the left side of rearview mirror? I expect A118 can not enter there, but A119 without or with non-GPS mount should fit between windshield and mirror.
The tapes should be longer, right now your A119 is possible to fall down.

enjoy,
Mtz

I tried sliding in that side of the mirror, but didn't fit unless I move the mirror which would disrupt my rear vision from the mirror. It held up fine. Not regular double sided tape, was one of those sticky adhesive from another dashcam that had spares. It was only temporarily as I wasn't driving my primary vehicle.

Anyways, here's a clip I uploaded on YT so far. Was recorded in 2560x1440p resolution, not sure if YT uploaded in that resolution or downscaled to 1080p...
edit: raw file via Google Drive (not sure if they compress it or not...)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz-s6JoEX9TUejRLRG4wdlFTN1E

Last edited:
Here's a comparison video.
Top Left: A118C (fw: A118C.20150318.001)
Top Right: A119
Bottom Center: Xiaomi Yi Action Camera (stock FW, no scripts)

The timing is a little bit off on the Xiaomi Yi Action Cam

Last edited:
MTZ, I haven't bothered to adjust this mobius. It had a super capacitor put in as soon as I bought it. I think it's the most recent version 'C'.

Other than the blue problem, which I'm sure will be addressed via FW, the 119 seems to have very good day quality and what I would call good at night as well.

I've only tried the 2560x1440 mode out so far but it's looking very good - I just need to aim the camera down to brighten things up a bit (I've gotten used to IMX322):

Reverend, your samples don't seem to be as blue as some of the other samples that have been posted. The sky seems a lot more realistic, what do you think?

Here's a comparison video.
Top Left: A118C (fw: A118C.20150318.001)
Top Right: A119
Bottom Center: Xiaomi Yi Action Camera (stock FW, no scripts)

The timing is a little bit off on the Xiaomi Yi Action Cam
A119 seems to have wider angle. Looks very good.

Attached a new firmware for A119.
Change log:
1. Disable the beep in motion detection
2. Improved the motion detection senstivitity
3. Updated the IQ, reduce the blue color in video
4. Support hot pixel fixing under engineer mode(engmode)
5. Improved bitrate for 1080P, 1440P, 1296P mode;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/FWBA119.zip

Downloaded and installed. Beep disabled under motion detect confirmed, thanks. I will test the motion detect range a bit later. One thing I did notice today while sitting at an extra long traffic light was the recording stopped as it should after 60 secs. Not sure what others think but in that situation I would still like my camera to be recording. What do you think about having the camera remain recording for as long as you have the loop function set for? That would give each user some control over this.

Can somebody post instruction on how to update the firmware?

Just changed the resolution to 1080 60FPS and now the buttons do not work. It will not record, you can not access the menu functions, the only button that works is the power button. After the FW upgrade the resolution defaulted to 1080 30 FPS and everything seemed to work fine, this only happened after changing the resolution.

Ok, re-flashed the firmware, everything back again, but I don't want to try changing the resolution again.

Last edited:
@viofo I will download it tonight and test it tommorow.

Can somebody post instruction on how to update the firmware?

Download and unzip the file, copy the .bin file to the sd card ( not in the video folder) insert the card and power the A119 on. All the LED's will flash for a while, then a long rapid flashing and it will boot. Takes maybe 30 secs.

Last edited:
Anyone see if the blue tint in video is indeed gone?

I think the blue is mostly gone with the firmware upgrade.

This is the A119 after upgrade

0418a.jpg

Mobius C

mobius418a.jpg

The Mobius C is little brighter, but may not be totally accurate. It's an overcast day.
I'll try bumping up the exposure on the A119 A hair and see what happens. The mobius c is maybe too bright, not really any blue showing in the skies right now.

I bumped up the exposure on the A119 on '+' setting.
A119
wal.JPG

Mobius
wal2.JPG

Maybe went the wrong way?

The mobius still is too blue, but probably more accurate for the natural lighting.

Back