Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

Just to be clear there's no focus issue on the A119 - @Mtz was talking about the XiaoYi having the problem.

I understand that.
Im from really hot country, and i want to power the camera when its on parking, that why i need a realy durable lens mount.

I understand that.
Im from really hot country, and i want to power the camera when its on parking, that why i need a realy durable lens mount.
May be worth you looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/B013L21VCO

There's a more discrete version available but it's more expensive than that special offer.

You're at an awkward time of year in that a lot of the newer cameras haven't been tested through a full summer yet so you're going to be a guinea pig!

Anyone try continuously running the A119 for more than 4 or 5 hours and see if there's any heat issues?
Tomorrow will be a sunny day, I will test for more than 4-5 hours.

Why viofo dosent make metal lens mount?
No need for metal if there are no problems with actual lens because are good quality. In my previous day test with 4 cameras only XiaoYi had this problem.

enjoy,
Mtz

Why viofo dosent make metal lens mount?
you can suggest it to the devolopers.
You are assuming that a "metal" lens mount is the best!

In reality, you don't want zero thermal expansion in the lens mount, what you want is a mount that expands and thus changes the focus by exactly the opposite amount that the lens expands and changes the focus - you need a mount that matches your lens.

Also remember that there are many different metals that all have different expansion properties, aluminium expands 20 times more than invar but both are used for metal lens mounts. Carbon reinforced plastic can actually have negative thermal expansion if you want it to.

Ok had a very interesting Morning ...

There is no PAL / NTSC setting .... ( No choice )
There is exposure compensation ( Havent touched that )
50hz or 60hz , was 60 I put it to 50 ...

And then I tried the resolution settings , Factory setting was 1920 x 1080 x 60FPS ...
I will just pop off to edit some video footage ...

Update : ( uploading video ATM )
OK , original fact setting was 1920 x 1080 x 60FPS @ 60hz
I have changed the freq to 50hz
And I have tried different video resolutions this morning ...
Hmmmm , interesting results ( 57% upload ATM )

Last edited:

Hmmmmm , 2560 x 1440 x 30FPS x 50hz ( I think I like it )
Don't know whats happening @ 2304 x 1296 x 30FPS @ 50hz ( ? )
1920 x 1080 x 60FPS x 50hz ( ordinary )

Would like to see some raw footage, but even with the youtube compression it seems very good.

Is there an editor that allows you to edit ( CUT ) the video , and save in original format ( Free ) ?
Video on youtube is just a little less sharp than raw footage ( very minor quality loss ) ,
Which is why I post 2560 x 1440 x 30FPS on youtube , this is the maximum resolution supported by youtube , and the difference from raw is minor ... ( Once youtube does its thing )
Saving 1920 x 1080 @ 2560 x 1440 is upscaling ( I guess ) , but the quality is very close to original ...

Not sure about an editor, but you can upload the raw footage to a server like Mega which is free, then just post the link on here and anyone can view it that way.

Use Registrator Viewer to cut the videos.

enjoy,
Mtz

I hope there is a color temperature adjustment in the menus.

Yes, that's the bad part, a huge upload for you. Just had a look, I'm no expert like MTZ and Jokiin, but to me that is excellent quality. Number plates easily read. The sky is very blue, but that may be a true color for that day.

Thanks for the upload

Also my A119 sample is a little blue, you can see this in my previous 4 cameras comparisons from here. I reported this but at the time when actual firmware was released in China was bad weather so not enough good time for fine tuning by Viofo developers.
We confirmed the little blue issue, the weather is better now, so we can improve it soon.

Reactions: Mtz
Tomorrow will be a sunny day, I will test for more than 4-5 hours.

No need for metal if there are no problems with actual lens because are good quality. In my previous day test with 4 cameras only XiaoYi had this problem.

enjoy,
Mtz
The production version will use the metal lens holder, seems most of user prefer metal version.

What is in these samples please Bill? Hopefully the mount will arrive tomorrow if it follows the same timings as the last one as it lands in the UK today :)

Hi Bill @viofo : you made the decision to use metal lens holder based only on users preference or you tested the current lens mount and found out it has focus problems under heat?

Hi Bill @viofo : you made the decision to use metal lens holder based only on users preference or you tested the current lens mount and found out it has focus problems under heat?
No problem for the current version, normally we need do heating testing for every new product, if there is focus issue under heat, this is already solved.
To use the metal lens, is based on our previous experience and user feedback, this is planned before, take longer time to prepare the metal version as most of lens manufacture only offer plastic version.

Back