Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

All videos from this thread until now are from dashcams. In my latest post above there are 4 cameras just for comparison and one of them is the GitUp...
I see that the GitUp Git1 has a much brighter LCD than the rest, if you are going to have an LCD then you should be able to see it when the sun comes out. The Viofo 118 comes second, is the 2" screen a good idea?

the viewing angle in that picture is a lot different so the A118 and A119 will look much darker anyway

jokiin is right, the angle is different and I was forced to take the pictures in that angle because of sky backlight.
@Nigel, I know you like the GitUp LCD but I can guarantee that you will like even more the A119 LCD which have a fantastic screen from all cameras I saw until now maybe also because of 2 inches size.

enjoy,
Mtz

Night footage reminds of the original G1W (circa Techmoan's review, estore009 sold these back in Autumn of '14).

jokiin is right, the angle is different and I was forced to take the pictures in that angle because of sky backlight.
@Nigel, I know you like the GitUp LCD but I can guarantee that you will like even more the A119 LCD which have a fantastic screen from all cameras I saw until now maybe also because of 2 inches size.

enjoy,
Mtz
Excellent, I do find the Git1 screen a little small, but you can see it in the sun while all the 2" screens I've used are hard to see in bright sunlight, a bright 2" screen will be good.

If Mini 0806 have better low light image than G1W, as I expect, the A119 already have for sure. Look at my YouTube comparisons from previous page.
Maybe even A118 have better image than G1W?

enjoy,
Mtz

That first batch of G1W beats A118 by a noticeable margin, I had both installed at one time.

Reactions: Mtz
That first batch of G1W beats A118 by a noticeable margin, I had both installed at one time.

the G1W was a good bang for buck product, unfortunately too many manufacturers trying to make it cheaper and cheaper to get business has destroyed that model

Reactions: Mtz
I had once both cameras but never tested side by side because the image was looking similar to me. Now I have only the A118 because I never liked the G1W form factor and all similar ideas.
Right now I consider the A118 (B40, Street Guardian SG9665GC) the most invisible cameras, maybe the future NanoQ to be better?
I nice thing I observed at A119 and maybe forum users too is that the lens part is at the bottom part of the camera and this is a good thing because you can hide the camera even more than A118.
Continuing with nice things which is possible to see from the photos , maybe the last thing, is that the lens can be rotated left-right, just a little maybe to compensate the windshield curve. Oh, and camera can be mounted on vertical windshields.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Yes, you are right.
My idea about the most hidden camera is just to pop-down under the black dots area just the lens. The Mini series if mounted vertical are less visible compared to actual horizontal style.
The "secret" of the "wedge" dashcam is that it is looking from outside like a part of the car.

My first request about A119 was to not be so thick as A118 because A118 was not entering between rear view mirror and windshield and because of this I cannot mount at the best position at the left side of the mirror. And I had the same problem with Mini series. A119 is thinner than A118, but not very much.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, you are right.
My idea about the most hidden camera is just to pop-down under the black dots area just the lens. The Mini series if mounted vertical are less visible compared to actual horizontal style.
The "secret" of the "wedge" dashcam is that it is looking from outside like a part of the car.

My first request about A119 was to not be so thick as A118 because A118 was not entering between rear view mirror and windshield and because of this I cannot mount at the best position at the left side of the mirror. And I had the same problem with Mini series. A119 is thinner than A118, but not very much.

enjoy,
Mtz

the limitation to how thin it could be would be more to do with the lens housing and the room it needs, making them too small starts to cause heat dissipation problems also so there are practical limits to consider as well

Do you know when the A119 will be released any idea of price etc?
I've been looking at getting the A118c but if the newer version isn't far from being available probably makes sense to wait.

Will the A119 have a "parking mode"? (eg. records 5 or 10 seconds of footage before the motion is detected when parked)

Or, at the very least, improved motion detection trigger sensitivity over the so called "Motion Dectection Function" of the A118/B40.

I added some pictures in the first post of this thread. Here I will attach just one of them:

Viofo A119 front comparisons-.jpg

I don't know details about price and official release date but I expect to be in March and price higher than A118 because of new chipset, higher resolutions and fps, new mount system but I hope to be under $100 China price.

Regarding motion detect I didn't tested it until now also because firmware is alpha but from my experience with NT96660 from GitUp camera it have a better motion detect feature.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi,

Could you tell me how the locking function works? I've been more than happy with one of the features my mini801 has which a118 don't have.
When I locked video the current one, the previous and the next has been locked.

Very good for situation when you hit the button right after new recording cycle started. You will end with not what you wanted.

Another thing - overlap. I've noticed that my a118 recordings has overlap something like 1 or two seconds. The next one starts before the previous one ends. How it looks in a119 currently?

Will see the price. If reasonable I'll replace my a118 with that one.

Is there any gap between recordings then?
Overlap is very nice feature for DVR.
Gaps between recordings disqualifies it for me.

Back