VIOFO A119 V3

aaa
Correct, A129 g-sensor triggered files did not go into the RO folder until they changed it in an update.

I will try to test a A119V3 unit I have to see where the g-sensor files go, but I doubt you have a defective unit.

It looks like all Parking mode files when in Auto detect are written to the Movie directory with the Read only and Archive attribute regardless if G sensor is triggered or not. And normal recordings are written with only Archive attribute. It seems that when SD card is full the normal files are deleted / overwritten prior to the Read only parking mode files with some threshold that I cant identify that does start deleting / overwriting the Read only parking mode files.

Parking mode files are meant to go into the regular Movie folder, it's g-sensor events that should go into the RO folder. You don't want to fill your RO folder up with useless files.

I just tested the g-sensor parking mode and the triggered event do indeed go into the Movie folder. I'm sure @viofo will change it so that g-sensor triggered events in parking mode go into the RO folder in an upcoming update.

Parking mode files are meant to go into the regular Movie folder, it's g-sensor events that should go into the RO folder. You don't want to fill your RO folder up with useless files.
Yes that's what I understood should happen but not what I was seeing.

I just tested the g-sensor parking mode and the triggered event do indeed go into the Movie folder. I'm sure @viofo will change it so that g-sensor triggered events in parking mode go into the RO folder in an upcoming update.

Thanks for testing. Glad to know it's a problem with the model as released and not just mine. Hopefully they fix it soon and leave the Caution notification in the header in the event vehicle is bumped while parked without the owner knowing. Don't really want to have to look at the files everyday to see if any events occurred.

As a unhappy owner of A129 Duo not providing a satisfactory Bufferd parking mode and I've been told an update to firmware is unlikely to not arrive till October! If ever I'm beginning to look at my options.
Does the A119 v 3 have a successful Bufferd Parking Mode using G -sensor and motion sensor?

And could I just Replace the A129 with a 119v3 just replacing the GPS mount and connect my rear camera?

It's wired with the 3 wired kit

And what's the pluses and minuses of not having wifi on the camera

It just seems a cheaper option to stick with Viofo and spend another £100.00

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers

And could I just Replace the A129 with a 119v3 just replacing the GPS mount and connect my rear camera?
The A119 series are all single-channel only

As TonyM said The A119 series are single channel. You would need 2. One A119 v3 for the front and one for the rear. They would be separate units working totally isolated from each other. i.e. two SD-card 1 holding the front video and the other holding the rear without any link to each other unless the video files are edited and paired up. Not easy for the novice video editor.

But can someone answer my question, does the A119 V 3 successfully work using Bufferd Parking Mode using the G-censer and motion detection? With my existing camera it doesn't work with the G-censer but with the motion detection it records hundreds of recordings with everything recording!

And what are the pluses and minuses of not having wifi?

But can someone answer my question, does the A119 V 3 successfully work using Bufferd Parking Mode using the G-censer and motion detection? With my existing camera it doesn't work with the G-censer but with the motion detection it records hundreds of recordings with everything recording!

Well it depends on what you consider "successfully work". Motion is detected & G-sensor triggered events can occur but no recordings will be secured in the RO directory and no warnings will be present when the owner returns to their vehicle. The G sensor triggered events and motion detected events will record to the Movie directory and overwrote as needed when the SD card is full.

I've been in communication with Viofo support and OCD Tronic on Amazon and both are saying the advertised feature below can not save the G sensor triggered events while in parking mode anywhere but the Movie directory so they are not "flagged as important and protected onto the SD card". They have stated it's a Novatek problem and they have a bug report to them.

MOTION & COLLISION DETECTION: Using the camera's G-Sensor and State-of-the-Art motion detection technology, video footage is now intelligently captured in parking mode when moving objects and/or impacts are detected while the vehicle is parked. Files are flagged as important and protected onto the SD card for review

Last edited:
I've had the VIOFO A119V3 in my truck for the past month now, and I haven't had any issues with files not being saved in parking mode when triggered by a motion/g-sensor event.

I cleared my SD card off and ran a test this morning and the camera is doing exactly what it's supposed to. Files recorded in the "auto-event detection" feature of parking mode are locked to the SD card which then become protected from being overwritten. When we say "flagged as important", we simply mean that the camera is smart enough to acknowledge that the file(s) captured via the g-sensor/motion trigger need to be locked/protected from being overwritten.

I've also double checked and confirmed that the parking mode segment files are 30-seconds in length which is a pre-buffer of 15-seconds before the trigger and a post-buffer of 15-seconds after the trigger.

I've attached a screenshot showing how the parking mode files are automatically locked to the SD card.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 09.41.54.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 09.41.54.png
    962.9 KB · Views: 39
I've had the VIOFO A119V3 in my truck for the past month now, and I haven't had any issues with files not being saved in parking mode when triggered by a motion/g-sensor event.

I cleared my SD card off and ran a test this morning and the camera is doing exactly what it's supposed to. Files recorded in the "auto-event detection" feature of parking mode are locked to the SD card which then become protected from being overwritten. When we say "flagged as important", we simply mean that the camera is smart enough to acknowledge that the file(s) captured via the g-sensor/motion trigger need to be locked/protected from being overwritten.

I've also double checked and confirmed that the parking mode segment files are 30-seconds in length which is a pre-buffer of 15-seconds before the trigger and a post-buffer of 15-seconds after the trigger.

I've attached a screenshot showing how the parking mode files are automatically locked to the SD card.
So they are locked, but not moved to the RO folder?

I haven't had any issue with files not being saved in parking mode.

Yes all files are recorded when in parking mode into the Movie folder regardless if by Motion or G sensor activation.

Files are locked to the SD card which then become protected from being overwritten. When we say "flagged as important", we simply mean that the camera is smart enough to acknowledge that the file captured via the g-sensor/motion trigger need to be locked/protected from being overwritten.

Files recorded while in parking mode are not protected as the Movie folder files are overwritten by the normal loop recording when the SD card becomes full. The "Flag" as you call it is only a Read only file attribute that is applied to all the motion activated or G sensor triggered events when in parking mode and do not inform the owner in any way an event occurred or protect the files from being overwritten.

Per Viofo Support: Those locked files with the caution icon will also be overwritten by the Loop Recording function.

Last edited:
Yes all files are recorded when in parking mode into the Movie folder regardless if by Motion or G sensor activation.

Files recorded while in parking mode are not protected as the Movie folder files are overwritten by the normal loop recording when the SD card becomes full. The "Flag" as you call it is only a Read only file attribute that is applied to all the motion activated or G sensor triggered events when in parking mode and do not inform the owner in any way an event occurred or protect the files.

Per Viofo Support: Those locked files with the caution icon will also be overwritten by the Loop Recording function.

There is no file separation or the ability to create a file tree system where different folders exist (i.e. RO Folder) other than the Movie and Misc folder-- nor is this advertised in the marketing material. and yes, correct, the user is not notifed that an event has occurred in parking mode.

I will run a test to see if these locked files are overwritten on the SD card after it becomes full-- stand by.

There is no file separation or the ability to create a file tree system where different folders exist (i.e. RO Folder) other than the Movie and Misc folder-- nor is this advertised in the marketing material. and yes, correct, the user is not notifed that an event has occurred in parking mode.

There are 2 folders, Movie and RO. Movie folder is where typical driving files should exist and RO folder is where events should exist that are protected and not overwritten. A G-sensor triggered event indicates an impact has occurred and should always be saved to a location that is not part of the normal Loop recording overwrite.

The marketing materials state "Files are flagged as important and protected onto the SD card for review. " If you want to consider a file attribute a Lock or flag, that's consistently applied to all parking mode files both motion and G-sensor activated then by all means go right ahead. But the files are not protected by any means since they are overwritten by the normal loop recordings in the Movie folder.

I will run a test to see if these locked files are overwritten on the SD card after it becomes full-- stand by.

Great you can confirm or refute what I posted in post #521 and what Viofo has already told me.

There are 2 folders, Movie and RO. Movie folder is where typical driving files should exist and RO folder is where events should exist that are protected and not overwritten. A G-sensor triggered event indicates an impact has occurred and should always be saved to a location that is not part of the normal Loop recording overwrite.

The marketing materials state "Files are flagged as important and protected onto the SD card for review. " If you want to consider a file attribute a Lock or flag, that's consistently applied to all parking mode files both motion and G-sensor activated then by all means go right ahead. But the files are not protected by any means since they are overwritten by the normal loop recordings in the Movie folder.

Great you can confirm or refute what I posted in post #521 and what Viofo has already told me.

After running a continuous test with parking mode disabled from yesterday mid-morning until this morning of today on my VIOFO A119V3: I can confirm that the locked/protected footage from yesterday's events triggered in parking mode were not overwritten. See screenshot.

Files that are locked in parking mode recording by trigger events (Motion and G-Sensor) are protected from being overwritten in loop recording.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 04.48.03.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 04.48.03.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Also, regarding the RO (Read Only) Folder; I was able to determine that yes in fact an RO Folder does show up inside the Movie folder only when the G-sensor is triggered in normal recording mode-- from an impact or large pothole). This is also the case when the emergency or hazard button is pressed.

This will store a 3 minute pre- and post- buffered file (1.5 min before and 1.5 min after) a triggered G-sensor event (or the hazard button is pressed) to the RO folder. The files are again locked (see screenshot) and I'm assuming the files and RO Folder would be protected from being overwritten in loop recording. I'll do another test to confirm this and report back.

So the take away from this is: The files that are triggered from the g-sensor / hazard button are stored separately in the RO Folder inside the Movie Folder. While the files that are triggered from motion and the G-sensor in parking mode (auto event) recording are protected from being overwritten and are stored in the Movie Folder.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 06.26.09.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 06.26.09.png
    968.7 KB · Views: 13
Any g-sensor locked file should be written into the RO folder. If it's a Novatek bug, then hopefully they will fix it soon and Viofo will release an update so that this happens.

A separate parking mode g-sensor folder would be great, but I doubt that's a possibility.

Any g-sensor locked file should be written into the RO folder. If it's a Novatek bug, then hopefully they will fix it soon and Viofo will release an update so that this happens.

A separate parking mode g-sensor folder would be great, but I doubt that's a possibility.

I agree! It would be handy to have all G-Sensors files in one location for easy access. Hopefully this is in a future update yeah

It looks like the parking mode locked files in the normal video folder have a "P" subscript, so they can be identified separately from normal video files?

Last edited:
After running a continuous test with parking mode disabled from yesterday mid-morning until this morning of today on my VIOFO A119V3: I can confirm that the locked/protected footage from yesterday's events triggered in parking mode were not overwritten. See screenshot.

Files that are locked in parking mode recording by trigger events (Motion and G-Sensor) are protected from being overwritten in loop recording.

Your confirmation is incorrect. Please do further testing and or get with Viofo. Both Parking mode files and regular files are systematically overwritten in the "Movie" folder as needed when SD card is full. If you don't see this then you either have a defective device, different firmware or different device all together.

Think about what your stating for a minute. If the parking mode files were indeed protected and not overwritten, you and all retailers that sell the A119 V3 would be being flooded with calls from owners that their SD card constantly full and require formatting / deleting. Since all motion and g sensor videos in park mode have no distinction between them and are saved the same way. They would be filling the SD cards quickly if they were protected. They are not.

I have a spreadsheet for the last 3 days showing both parking mode and normal files being removed as needed. No protection anywhere on any parking mode file to prevent them from being overwritten by the normal loop recording.

Last edited:
Back