PERFECT !!! This is the best comparison from your A119S since the day you replaced the flawed Lens, well done Sir!
Agreed 6Nr Normal 58 Sharpness is best level. The 6Nq needed adjustments everywhere but a good step towards crisp video which VIOFO hasn't achieved in 1.9 years.
These comparisons also reveal the Strong 60 halo over-sharpening which VIOFO pushes on the End User. I have no idea how VIOFO test and determine IQ for all Dash Cameras but whoever is Beta Testing and accepting over-sharpened halo video needs to view your footage. Thanks for this excellent test footage!
You now qualify for DCTeam IQE = Image Quality Expert, congratz!

Last edited:
The new 6Nr modified firmware is my best work to date but its not finished.
FWA119S_MOD-6Nr_v4.02+26Mbps+Sharp575860C+Sharp140B+Edge146+Brite127+Sat124B+Sat20A+DCTeam.bin
I purposely reduced the sharpness range but didn't expect it to be sequential. Reducing Edge Detection reduces halo and balanced by raising SharpC 1/2 point, so I have a formula.
We each have image quality expectations, mine has always been real world colors and sharpness with crisp day and night appearance as in v1.01 but others are only concerned with License Plate readability, I respect that thus the following POLL:

VIOFO decided to unlock MENU option Sharpness into BETA for A119S testing before releasing to A119 + A119Pro + A129Duo. With only 3 Sharpness Levels the highest must be decided by End User. Those with slightly out of focus Lens higher sharpness helps to compensate for Lens weakness.
Do you prefer current 6Nr, Sharp 60 (Strong)VIOFO version - or - reduced to Sharp 59 less halo for STABLE release?
Just realized there is another option drop the Soft 57 and use Sharpness Levels 58-59-60.

Last edited:
MOD 6Nr
1080p/30fps, EV 0, WDR Off, Strong sharpness

Parking lot with some sky on my way out
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2n1ndhvjmua897u/2018_1030_103550_152.MP4?dl=0

Sky and the change when i pass through the shadow of the truck
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqocbmt6vo4zdxd/2018_1030_151653_383.MP4?dl=0

Sun from behind
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ot3j3dlpgomewq/2018_1030_155853_425.MP4?dl=0

It needs to be said that my windshield is full off wiped bugs/insects.
Excellent Image Quality from your Lens using 6Nr Strong !! Wasn't sure anyone's Lens could handle Sharp 60 without halo effect but yours can. The auto-brightness/exposure/contrast/iso algorithm worked well coming out of truck shadow. Thanks for sharing.

The fact that your Lens can handle Strong 60 is perfect example of the Lens Lottery in effect, you never know what you're going to get! The best solution for Sharpness is more than 3 levels so End Users can accurately select appropriate level to match Lens focus without over-sharpness.
You now qualify for DCTeam PDD = Professional Dashcam Driver, congratz!

Last edited:
Firmware: FWA119S_MOD-6Nq_v4.02+26Mbps+Sharp555760+Sharp140+Edge148+Brite124+Sat134+Sat20+DCTeam

1080p 60fps
60hz
mp4
WDR=OFF
CPL=ON
1min files

Lens 1 = Strong (Note: L1 on Bottom Edge of Screen)
Lens 2 = Normal (Note: L2 on Bottom Edge of Screen)

Night Clip #1
Night Clip #2

Day Clip #1 Highway Sunny + Clouds
Day Clip #2 Highway Sunny + Clouds
Day Clip #3 Parking Lot Sunny + Clouds
Day Clip #4 Parking Lot Sunny + Clouds

I'm not sure I like these Image Quality settings. Seems like I had better results from previous versions. The clarity of road signs along the road seem less clear to me.

Firmware: FWA119S_MOD-6Nq_v4.02+26Mbps+Sharp555760+Sharp140+Edge148+Brite124+Sat134+Sat20+DCTeam

1080p 60fps
60hz
mp4
WDR=OFF
CPL=ON
1min files

Lens 1 = Strong (Note: L1 on Bottom Edge of Screen)
Lens 2 = Normal (Note: L2 on Bottom Edge of Screen)

Night Clip #1
Night Clip #2

Day Clip #1 Highway Sunny + Clouds
Day Clip #2 Highway Sunny + Clouds
Day Clip #3 Parking Lot Sunny + Clouds
Day Clip #4 Parking Lot Sunny + Clouds

I'm not sure I like these Image Quality settings. Seems like I had better results from previous versions. The clarity of road signs along the road seem less clear to me.
6Nq was earlier MOD which has been adjusted and replaced with the newest much better 6Nr. Your clips are useful to show the difference between Lens1 & Lens2, thanks for sharing, nice SIG.

6Nr firmware - going to try this thanks.

MOD 6Nr
1080p@30fps - WDR Off - CPL - Sharpness Strong - EV 0 - 60Hz - Lens 2 (129)

Cloudy Afternoon
Night - Parking Lot
Night - Highway Construction

Not sure if it's just the strong sharpness setting with my lens, but there is a loss of clarity and crispness, even in the afternoon video. Lighting isn't ideal though. Seems to be a slight fuzziness over the picture.

Last edited:
MOD 6Nr
1080p@30fps - WDR Off - CPL - Sharpness Strong - EV 0 - 60Hz - Lens 2 (129)

Cloudy Afternoon
Night - Parking Lot
Night - Highway Construction

Not sure if it's just the strong sharpness setting with my lens, but there is a loss of clarity and crispness, even in the afternoon video. Lighting isn't ideal though. Seems to be a slight fuzziness over the picture.
Good 6Nr footage, try it with CPL on, your recent clips all show dash reflections from top to bottom which affects clarity. If CPL Filter was on its not aligned correctly. Looks good here but I do notice that fuzzy look which CPLs fix.
That Lens2 doesn't have anti-reflection coating so its maximum brightness, Brightness level could drop 1pt to compensate. Need more footage to compare. Thanks for sharing footage and feedback.
You now qualify for DCTeam IQA = Image Quality Analyst, plus EWD = Extreme Weather Driver, congratz!

PERFECT !!! This is the best comparison from your A119S since the day you replaced the flawed Lens, well done Sir!
Agreed 6Nr Normal 58 Sharpness is best level. The 6Nq needed adjustments everywhere but a good step towards crisp video which VIOFO hasn't achieved in 1.9 years.
These comparisons also reveal the Strong 60 halo over-sharpening which VIOFO pushes on the End User. I have no idea how VIOFO test and determine IQ for all Dash Cameras but whoever is Beta Testing and accepting over-sharpened halo video needs to view your footage. Thanks for this excellent test footage!
You now qualify for DCTeam IQE = Image Quality Expert, congratz!

I think Viofo purposely oversharpens their settings so it appears that their dashcam is sharper than others. To the untrained eye and casual buyer, they can be tricked when told how sharp their details are compared to another camera. For example if you put the same camera side by side with a BCHobbyist mod on medium sharpness with their default overssharpened firmware, a sly salesman can easily market the oversharpened viofo default as a better camera to an unknowing buyer. Tricking them into thinking their image quality is better because it's showing details sharper. This happens a lot in television industry. Their demo display settings in stores have the tv displays with colors that are too vivid, bright, high contrast, and sharpness so that they can stand out in the crowd. A seasoned viewer would go home and properly calibrate it. All the more reason why Viofo should allow for custom setting dial for the picture like seen in televisions. Viofo, feel free to set your "default" to your oversharpening if that's what you want to demo but allow for us more seasoned users who can appreciate a more natural proper image to configure it to our likings.

a sly salesman can easily market the oversharpened viofo default as a better camera to an unknowing buyer. Tricking them into thinking their image quality is better because it's showing details sharper. This happens a lot in television industry. Their demo display settings in stores have the tv displays with colors that are too vivid, bright, high contrast, and sharpness so that they can stand out in the crowd. A seasoned viewer would go home and properly calibrate it.

only there's no slick salesman, the product just sells online, it's not sold in stores for that kind of demo to happen anyway

only there's no slick salesman, the product just sells online, it's not sold in stores for that kind of demo to happen anyway

I guess that example was more geared to if products were shown in stores. But even in todays age, youtuber create comparisons videos to show the difference and the people less acquainted with proper image quality will usually think oversharpening looks better and clearer. I know i perosnally checked youtube for footage examples before settling on what cameras to buy. Anyways, im not bad mouthing viofo. Most dashcams on the market have static presets as well. I’m just suggesting they have solid hardware specs and that more user enabled customization can set their product apart and be a quite desirable feature that can set them apart from other dashcams. BCHobbyist’s mods are proof that with some tweaking their image quallity can drastically be improved. And if users are able to do that on the fly rather than wait months to a year for a new firmware update which may not even be optimized, that is a huge postive.

Last edited:
Good 6Nr footage, try it with CPL on, your recent clips all show dash reflections from top to bottom which affects clarity. If CPL Filter was on its not aligned correctly. Looks good here but I do notice that fuzzy look which CPLs fix.
That Lens2 doesn't have anti-reflection coating so its maximum brightness, Brightness level could drop 1pt to compensate. Need more footage to compare. Thanks for sharing footage and feedback.
You now qualify for DCTeam IQA = Image Quality Analyst, plus EWD = Extreme Weather Driver, congratz!

Hmm, that's interesting that you mentioned the CPL. I did purchase one of the new larger universal VIOFO CPL filters a little while ago. I aligned it the exact same way I did my old modified one that worked perfectly. That's odd that it's not aligned now, with the same settings.

Anyone have suggestions on what to try with aligning the new CPL? If it's compared to the modified one, it looks correct. For now, I'll swap back to my old modded one.

CPL.gif

Last edited:
Hmm, that's interesting that you mentioned the CPL. I did purchase one of the new larger universal VIOFO CPL filters a little while ago. I aligned it the exact same way I did my old modified one that worked perfectly. That's odd that it's not aligned now, with the same settings.

Anyone have suggestions on what to try with aligning the new CPL? If it's compared to the modified one, it looks correct. For now, I'll swap back to my old modded one.

View attachment 42817
The procedure used in my DIY video should result in correct alignment and much faster and easier than adjusting CPL while mounted to windshield.
Suggest a simple in vehicle alignment test :
1) mount A119S on windshield without CPL,
2) park vehicle facing sun at side to create dash reflection
3) begin recording,
4) angle Lens down slightly to show more dash reflection on LCD screen
5) hold CPL Filter in front of Lens without attaching
6) looking at LCD screen slowly rotate CPL in fingers until Dash reflections are gone and note position.
7) realign CPL to match new position then verify correct alignment then snap in place to record accurate test footage.
8) clean CPL Filter and record drive footage.

I hate to ask but is it possible Rain-X has changed the windshield clarity?

Last edited:
Definitely not the Rain-X. I already had it applied to my windshield on older versions of FW with my modded CPL without issues. You were right though, turns out it was the alignment of the new CPL filter. Good call. What's odd though, is the 45° difference compared to my other CPL which works perfectly.

This is how they appear with correct alignment on both, using my laptop screen. That doesn't make any sense to me.
CPL2.jpg

Anyway, here are a couple of clips from 6Nr, with a correctly aligned new CPL.

1080p@30fps - CPL - EV 0 - Sharpness Strong - 60Hz - WDR Off - Lens 2 (129)

Afternoon
Huge difference compared to my afternoon clip from yesterday. The clarity has gotten much better. Even the hood of my car looks nicer. The reflection of the road, trees, and car driving in front of me on the hood shows much clearer now, even on a cloudy day.

Night
Again, huge improvement compared to my night clips from yesterday. There's also almost no noise, even with strong sharpness setting applied. (Also, thanks to 1.01! 2.61/4.0x made me sad with their noisy night performance.)

I think this is a good upper level for the strong sharpness. I'm sure my picture will look better with a lower sharpness setting applied.

Last edited:
Definitely not the Rain-X. I already had it applied to my windshield on older versions of FW with my modded CPL without issues. You were right though, turns out it was the alignment of the new CPL filter. Good call. What's odd though, is the 45° difference compared to my other CPL which works perfectly.

This is how they appear with correct alignment on both, using my laptop screen. That doesn't make any sense to me.
View attachment 42829

Anyway, here are a couple of clips from 6Nr, with a correctly aligned new CPL.

1080p@30fps - CPL - EV 0 - Sharpness Strong - 60Hz - WDR Off - Lens 2 (129)

Afternoon
Huge difference compared to my afternoon clip from yesterday. The clarity has gotten much better. Even the hood of my car looks nicer. The reflection of the road, trees, and car driving in front of me on the hood shows much clearer now, even on a cloudy day.

Night
Again, huge improvement compared to my night clips from yesterday. There's also almost no noise, even with strong sharpness setting applied. (Also, thanks to 1.01! 2.61/4.0x made me sad with their noisy night performance.)

I think this is a good upper level for the strong sharpness. I'm sure my picture will look better with a lower sharpness setting applied.
Excellent 6Nr footage using aligned CPL, well done! These clips are helpful to determine is Sharp60 is too high or not. My own tests show 60 as maximum, options are 59 or 61. More footage is required before Stable multi Bit Rate versions are released, thanks for sharing these improved samples remembering within all future A119S Modified Firmware will be our favourite old Dec 2016 v1.01 Hex code. You and other DCTeam members can purge all Cloud storage accounts to free space.

Viewing 332 DCTeam Dashcam Beta Test clips multiple times plus 1,000's of my own using different Lens combinations enables quick IQ pattern recognition and assessment. By now many Dashcam owners will realize not to trust their new DVR Lens is perfectly focused or even aligned or to trust a new 'improved' CPL Filter is aligned correctly. Simple fix is VIOFO mark the correct alignment on glass edge and plastic frame slot. There are many obvious shared videos showing CPL Filter glass that is flipped in the frame and useless until corrected. The new larger beveled CPL Filter needed only for the A129 wide angle Lens2 which wasn't available when A129Duo went retail obviously uses a different polarizing matrix angle pattern than original which will add more confusion for consumer. Now the consumer must know which CPL Filter they own V1 or V2 and what angle to use to verify correct alignment. It's now obvious you can't use my V1 CPL Filter alignment for V2 CPL's unless you turn it another 45degrees. This explains the large percentage of videos posted all showing dash reflections with new CPL installed.

Last edited:
I have one old and one new type CPL filters; both came within +/- 10º vertical alignment error (tested on my iMac). Perfectly re-aligned, they are doing a pretty good job removing dash reflections.

See my video from yesterday evening with MOD-6Vf Sharpness Normal.
WDR off, after about 1.30min I mute the sound.
I'm not really satisfied with the quality, it's not even possible to view the license plate numbers.
Any recommendations?

File sized increased in comparison to original FW 2.61 from ~295MB to ~375MB

I have no CPL attached

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GrC9ZWk9fUHnbobOhcDgFll0rtq6iFLr/view?usp=sharing

second video added:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Nyr7Gyr-tCdMlwnSiNonx_c_kRn5gZ-/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
MOD 6Nr
1080p/30fps, EV 0, WDR Off, Strong sharpness

Night time with and without street lights
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbwnrkmaxzwxvx8/2018_1101_062333_544.MP4?dl=0

Almost night with and without street lights. It was darker for human eyes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqnjl8qxx2az029/2018_1101_063310_554.MP4?dl=0

The only moment with sun for this day
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p04fdiq37rx6rys/2018_1101_154650_989.MP4?dl=0

Well, i think this MOD has the best night time for A119S ever. But my taste needs just a little bit more sharpness, for day time mostly.

Back