I was thinking, increasing brightness = increasing the EV, if this is the case it can explain the quality degradation. The longer exposure time the matrix get the more fast moving objects will get blurry. Am I right?

Here is some BTa footage (sun behind and sun on the top).
It looks brighter indeed, but oversharped (I used the normal sharpness + CPL).
It doesn't look good IMHO. I have no tint on the windshield

Thanks for the quick Beta BTa footage, it actually looks better than I expected considering we both don't have Tinted windows.
Did you download the Alpha version or the later Beta?
This is the correct file name = FWA119S_MOD-BTa_v4.03+25Mbs+Brite140+Sat140+DCTeam.bin

Does changing the Sharpness Menu to Soft reduce the effect?
These MODs only change Bitrate + Brightness + Saturation all other image settings are Viofo defaults.

I was thinking, increasing brightness = increasing the EV, if this is the case it can explain the quality degradation. The longer exposure time the matrix get the more fast moving objects will get blurry. Am I right?
Actually glad you asked this question, Exposure Value will greatly affect motion blur but these MODs don't use it. Instead its a totally different Brightness control that shouldn't increase Motion Blur and the reason for creating these Tint MODs.

If you get a chance some night footage may reveal the benefits of Brightness MODs.

Thanks for the quick Beta BTa footage, it actually looks better than I expected considering we both don't have Tinted windows.
This is the correct file name = FWA119S_MOD-BTa_v4.03+25Mbs+Brite140+Sat140+DCTeam.bin

These MODs only change Bitrate + Brightness + Saturation all other image settings are Viofo defaults.

I used the FWA119S_MOD-BTa_v4.03+25Mbs+Brite140+Sat140+DCTeam.bin version.
I'll try tomorrow the soft sharpness, and some night forage.
About the brightness, I guess if it's not exposure, it has to be software video enhancement that might affect negatively the video quality.
The brightness can't come for free without updating the matrix.

I used the FWA119S_MOD-BTa_v4.03+25Mbs+Brite140+Sat140+DCTeam.bin version.
I'll try tomorrow the soft sharpness, and some night forage.
About the brightness, I guess if it's not exposure, it has to be software video enhancement that might affect negatively the video quality.
The brightness can't come for free without updating the matrix.
Excellent image quality assessment! Perfect!
From my first posts in this Forum I always recommended never to use EV - Exposure or WDR because they both increase Motion Blur and degrade image quality especially at night. Of course this new Brightness setting cannot open the Lens iris to let in more light so must use video enhancement with motion blur trade-off. I just wanted to give the 'special moderators' a chance to correct my statement, its comical, at least you gained an extra Like or two.

These MODs adjust the hidden Brightness setting, the effect it has on motion blur and detail will now be visible to everyone. Hopefully it won't have as much impact as current Exposure setting (probably), much more test footage is needed. Once we determine the minimum and maximum acceptable Brightness and Saturation range, owners with Tinted windows will have more options. The real interesting image control is the new Saturation value, its is extremely effective and works wonders for A119.

Managed to get day\evening\night footage with BTa and soft sharpness.
Day and evening look better then it was with the Normal sharpness. It looks very good.
Night looks bad, to be fear, I never had good night footage in such conditions.
I noticed a lot of very small (snowing) artifacts on evening\night footage. I might confused it with the oversharp.
I think the artifacts totally mess the night video quality. I also din't notice any brightness gaining on the night footage, but the day footage is definitely brighter then it used to be on the latest release MOD.

It takes ages to upload files to dropbox, I have now 30d\5u internet, but the 5mb/s upload manages to upload at 400-500kb/s :(
Upgrading my internet tomorrow to Bell Fiber 500d\500u, hope it will fix the issue :)

Last edited:
Managed to get day\evening\night footage with BTa and soft sharpness.
Day and evening look better then it was with the Normal sharpness. It looks very good.
Night looks bad, to be fear, I never had good night footage in such conditions.
I noticed a lot of very small (snowing) artifacts on evening\night footage. I might confused it with the oversharp.
I think the artifacts totally mess the night video quality. I also din't notice any brightness gaining on the night footage, but the day footage is definitely brighter then it used to be on the latest release MOD.

It takes ages to upload files to dropbox, I have now 30d\5u internet, but the 5mb/s upload manages to upload at 400-500kb/s :(
Upgrading my internet tomorrow to Bell Fiber 500d\500u, hope it will fix the issue :)
Thanks for very useful BTa footage, very surprising results using this new Brightness control at lower 140 value. Did you notice the increased Color Saturation ? The parking lot test track works well and actually looks good.
Even with the Lens angled down to increase brightness on a cloudy day this MOD does offer improvement for Tinted window Drivers. Both the evening and night footage is brighter when comparing distant objects on horizon, the grainy artifacts from lower light levels still shows good detail on plates and wires, using LOW Sharpness helps more than expected. The night footage seems to indicate Brite140 is at maximum acceptable level for non-tinted windows, we both agree it has reduced the normally smooth quality on night footage. These samples suggest reducing Brightness to 130-136 for nonTinted windshields and set to 140 for lightly Tinted windshields increasing for darker rear windows.
We just need someone with tinted window to provide a sample.
MOD-5BTb is very bright (150 value) unacceptable for Day time on non-tinted windows but I wonder how bad it will be at night. Determining the extreme maximum before detail on plates is lost will help.

congratz on upgrading to Fiber Optic 5 to 500 upload will be amazing, my gerbil can't run that fast.

My Wishlist for next official VIOFO A119S Firmware release

Change Sharpness from Strong / Normal / Soft ==> Stronger + Strong + Normal + Soft + Softer
Add 5 second Buffer to all Parking Modes capturing video prior to event detection for better protection.
Add Bitrate option ==> Normal 24Mb/s + Medium 26Mb/s + High 28Mb/s (use same levels for 1080P 60fps and 30fps)
Add Power Off Temperature ==> 85C to 60C , Off
Add Color Saturation option ==> Neutral + More + Vivid
Add Brightness option ==> Auto / Low 1 to High 10
Add Contrast option ==> Auto / Low 1 to High 10
Add Beep Volume ==> Low + Medium + High
Add Beep Sound ==> Button Beeps Off

Last edited:
My Wishlist for next official VIOFO A119S Firmware release

Change Sharpness from Strong / Normal / Soft ==> Stronger + Strong + Normal + Soft + Softer
Add 5 second Buffer to all Parking Modes capturing video prior to event detection for better protection.
Add Bitrate option ==> Normal 20Mb/s + Medium 24Mb/s + High 26Mb/s (use same levels for 1080P 60fps and 30fps)
Add Power Off Temperature ==> 85C to 60C , Off
Add Color Saturation option ==> Neutral + More + Vivid
Add Brightness option ==> Auto / Low 1 to High 10
Add Contrast option ==> Auto / Low 1 to High 10
Add Beep Volume ==> Low + Medium + High
Add Beep Sound ==> Button Beeps Off

Those options would be fantastic.

The A129 MODs finally caught up with A119S quality and you all know what that means . . .
Time for more A119S superior modified firmware testing beginning with MOD-6Vk . . . one moment please

Created new A119S - MOD versions 6Vk , 4Vk , 2Vk
The Vk series MODs are using the large Sharpness table adjustments for much less halo outline around objects.
This version changed Sharpness from 64 to 34 using the large default range jumps from Strong to Soft levels.

Download A119S Modified Firmware: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html
MOD Installation Guide: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/

---
DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

Last edited:
Created new A119S - Beta MOD version 6Vk2
The Vk series MODs are using the large Sharpness table adjustments for much less halo outline around objects in lower light conditions.
This initial 6Vk2 version changed Sharpness 64 to 34 using the large default range jumps from Strong to Soft levels.
Decided to try this control method instead of adjusting the 3 levels individually.
Requesting footage for each Sharpness level strong/normal/soft from each Lens type.

Download > FWA119S_MOD-6Vk2_v4.03+26Mbs+Sharp34+Dice.bin

Beta Testing Setup: CPL On , Exposure=0 , WDR=Off , Loop=1min
Share your observations, footage and screenshots.

A119S Modified Firmware: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html
MOD Install Guide: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/

View attachment 45727
---
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

I just tested it, it looks well balanced even on a rainy day like today.
Sharp is a bit too sharp (I tested with lens 1, it's probably better for lens 2), normal is good, soft is a bit too soft but totally eliminates the halo effect
Good job, I like it!

Strong

Normal

Soft

I just tested it, it looks well balanced even on a rainy day like today.
Sharp is a bit too sharp (I tested with lens 1, it's probably better for lens 2), normal is good, soft is a bit too soft but totally eliminates the halo effect
Good job, I like it!

Strong

Normal

Soft
Thanks for the quick 6Vk test footage, on the narrow 130FOV Lens the best Sharpness would be between normal and soft, but Soft level has zero halo and far better than all previous MODs.
Adjustments slightly lower could improve normal, more footage is needed both day and night before further adjustments are made.
Observations on colour are also needed.

If anyone has time to confirm GPS Speed & Coordinates Stamp + Custom Text Stamp + Camera Model Stamp + Car Number Stamp + Date & Time Stamp all fit on screen without overlap , thanks.

Last edited:
Feedback wanted on latest A119S MOD 6Vk2 version, results will be used for next Beta version MOD-6Vk3
Sharpness - acceptable / increase / decrease (( changed by -30 ))
Saturation - acceptable / increase / decrease (( unchanged from stock )) ((( A119 changed by +27 )))
Brightness - acceptable / increase / decrease (( unchanged from stock ))
Bitrate Range - acceptable / increase / decrease (( stock 24/20 Mbps ==> changed to 22.6 , 24.6 , 25.6Mbps ))

Thanks for the quick 6Vk test footage, on the narrow 130FOV Lens the best Sharpness would be between normal and soft, but Soft level has zero halo and far better than all previous MODs.
Adjustments slightly lower could improve normal, more footage is needed both day and night before further adjustments are made.
Observations on colour are also needed.

If anyone has time to confirm GPS Speed & Coordinates Stamp + Custom Text Stamp + Camera Model Stamp + Car Number Stamp + Date & Time Stamp all fit on screen without overlap , thanks.

Got some sun today.

I like how it looks (used normal sharpness).
All the texts located properly and not overlapping each other.
Color looks natural.

Got some sun today.

I like how it looks (used normal sharpness).
All the texts located properly and not overlapping each other.
Color looks natural.
Excellent A119S footage using the new 6Vk sharpness MOD. Thanks for testing the bottom text overlay stamps they are spaced correctly unlike the non-centered A129 overlays.
Did you notice any issue in low light or at night ?
Will release it today on Download page.

Excellent A119S footage using the new 6Vk sharpness MOD. Thanks for testing the bottom text overlay stamps they are spaced correctly unlike the non-centered A129 overlays.
Did you notice any issue in low light or at night ?
Will release it today on Download page.

Night footage looks also good, no issues.

Created new A119S - Beta MOD version 6Vk2
The Vk series MODs are using the large Sharpness table adjustments for much less halo outline around objects in lower light conditions.
This initial 6Vk2 version changed Sharpness 64 to 34 using the large default range jumps from Strong to Soft levels.
Decided to try this control method instead of adjusting the 3 levels individually.
Requesting footage for each Sharpness level strong/normal/soft from each Lens type.

Download > FWA119S_MOD-6Vk2_v4.03+26Mbs+Sharp34+Dice.bin

Beta Testing Setup: CPL On , Exposure=0 , WDR=Off , Loop=1min
Share your observations, footage and screenshots.

A119S Modified Firmware: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html
MOD Install Guide: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/

View attachment 45727
---
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist
I had the possibility today in the late afternoon with sunshine.
It's hard with your demand/request of 1min files because of my internet connection, takes more than 30-40min to upload one file.
CPL on, but forgot to turn WDR off - sorry. Hope it works also with this setting.

Normal: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TNf20ahFqXJfk3UNZpzYk9EZb7sAyT-u
Soft: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p8JH7GPi82bPVwhqGhmohy7Du7328Byd
Strong: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10azrNbCsZFgCcM64qrumQdcdb0APjTcb

Last edited:
I had the possibility today in the late afternoon with sunshine.
It's hard with your demand/request of 1min files because of my internet connection, takes more than 30-40min to upload one file.
CPL on, but forgot to turn WDR off - sorry. Hope it works also with this setting.

Normal: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TNf20ahFqXJfk3UNZpzYk9EZb7sAyT-u
Soft:
Strong:
Excellent A119S MOD-6Vk footage, your Lens works well with Normal Sharpness level. Colors look perfect and just a hint of halo outlines on roof tops, try Soft level for comparison, thanks for sharing and testing, well done Sir.
If internet speed is slow in your area stop the recording after 30 seconds to create smaller MP4 video files.

Back