Viofo A129

someone mentioned having to do it through the app, did you try that?
Yes I know, I looked thru the app and I can not see where to go to change the wifi password. I had connected the A129 to my iPhone through the Viofo App initially using password 12345678 and it connected no problem everything works perfectly it connects automatically every time All I want to do is change the password and I do not know how.. I can turn wifi off and on and I can disconnect the cam from the app off and on but I can not see where in the APP or on the Cam how to CHANGE the PASSWORD....

You can change the SSID and password by connecting your phone or tablet to your camera and going through the settings on the camera via the app.

If it helps, I believe you can reverse the cable so the right-angle connector is at the rear camera.
Glad I read this before installing mine! Great tip. Thanks.

Guys is it necessary to kill my mobile data to be able to use the Wifi connection? It seems to be the only way the wifi app will let me get the live feed even though it shows connected to Viofo. I need to kill the mobile data for it to finally work.

Guys is it necessary to kill my mobile data to be able to use the Wifi connection? It seems to be the only way the wifi app will let me get the live feed even though it shows connected to Viofo. I need to kill the mobile data for it to finally work.
If you want a permanent live view, you could use a separate Android screen that doesn't need a data connection rather than your phone, you could make it a decent size one too since it doesn't need to fit in your pocket.

Personally I don't find that driving around looking at the dashcam screen is a good idea or very safe, much better to watch the road directly, even with a 4K camera you see more that way!

For Android most likely
Yep. Can confirm. Had to go into "airplane" mode on my Galaxy S8+ and then turn on wi-fi to connect to the unit. That's frustrating. I've not had tha issue when connecting to Nest cameras with my phone via wi-fi. Hopefullyt they can fix that in a future update.

Can someone post pictures of where they installed it on their cars? I have a suv with the back vertical. Should i put the front on the top middle of the windshield (right below the blue taint) and on the back, at the middle top right below the wiper path?
I had to put my rear one off to the drivers side to avoid the rear sliding window in my Tacoma. A bit annoying but the wide angle captures enough on both sides.

Yep. Can confirm. Had to go into "airplane" mode on my Galaxy S8+ and then turn on wi-fi to connect to the unit. That's frustrating. I've not had tha issue when connecting to Nest cameras with my phone via wi-fi. Hopefullyt they can fix that in a future update.

when you connect to your nest cameras do you lose cellular internet access on the phone at the same time?

when you connect to your nest cameras do you lose cellular internet access on the phone at the same time?
From what I recall I did not. It only kicked me off the current wifi connection.

From what I recall I did not. It only kicked me off the current wifi connection.

was the Nest connected to a wifi network?

I'm not too familiar with the Nest product but knowing how they set it up may help in troubleshooting the wifi settings for the dashcam apps

was the Nest connected to a wifi network?

I'm not too familiar with the Nest product but knowing how they set it up may help in troubleshooting the wifi settings for the dashcam apps
Yep, they are all hooked into my wifi. During the setup of some of the devices it creates it's own wifi so that you connect directly to it for the configuration etc...

This should be something fixable in the app.

I've been waiting 3 months for the A129 and finally got around to installing it a week ago. It's been good so far, except that the video looks less sharp than I had expected. Do I have an out of focus lens or is this the expected daytime video quality? I have the bitrate set to high, WDR disabled, and resolution set to 1080/30fps (running front/rear) in the following sample.

Last edited:
I checked all 3 of my front cams yesterday. They all looked a bit "off" then I realised the inside of my windscreen was covered in a light hazy film. Needs cleaning. That will sharpen things up again. I would suggest try to clean the glass inside and out.

Just looking at the number plates, it does look a bit off. The red car to your right is pretty much unreadable despite being very close. The car in front is also unreadable, which whilst it's some distance away, I would say should probably be at a distance where you can make out some lettering (click to go large and again to max):

Compare the red car to the position of the gunmetal car to the left here (from OP's video). Also the car in front has a plate that's unreadable whilst the far car in front here, has a plate that's unreadable but nevertheless sufficiently defined to make out some lettering:

One other comment, from the amount of dashboard showing, you seem to have the camera mounted a long way from the screen. This will exacerbate dashboard reflections. If it's possible to get it closer, then I would.

Last edited:
I've been waiting 3 months for the A129 and finally got around to installing it a week ago. It's been good so far, except that the video looks less sharp than I had expected. Do I have an out of focus lens or is this the expected daytime video quality? I have the bitrate set to high, WDR disabled, and resolution set to 1080/30fps (running front/rear) in the following sample.

Looks like that due to direct sunlight hitting reflective license plates, focus is OK.

Looks in focus to me.

Raise the view up a bit, so the horizon is closer to the centre.
At the moment your dark dash is affecting the exposure a bit making plates a bit over exposed at times.
Also with it looking down like that, the things you want to see are more distorted by the fisheye of the lens than they would be closer to the middle.
Also, tilting it up might move the dashboard reflections off the plates you want to read, although a CPL filter would be more effective.

Can you post a night shot with some street lamps in the image - then we can see if your screen is clean or if it is affecting image quality....

Looks like that due to direct sunlight hitting reflective license plates, focus is OK.

TBH, I disagree. Here's another shot taken where the car passes through the shadow of a tree, - you can clearly see it's shaded, but the result is no better:

All shots were taken from the HD 1080P version of the video.

There also appears to be some distortion, both the tailgate of the gold car and the silver car just behind it appear to have distortion down the down the centre. Be a very large co-incidence if both vehicles had exactly the same type of damage in the same place, in fact the one on the silver car is impossible as the spiler lip folds down into the glass which is also folded. You can't fold rigid glass!

I am a real newbie to dashcam usage / expectations, etc..., but with the high res of the image captured, I bet that it could be blown up and rendered a useful image if necessary for ins. or law purposes. Otherwise the clear image of the cars, environment, and action is paramount to accurate event recreation.

Right? If I need the #, I can get it. What I really want is a clear representation of the event.

Back