Viofo A129

I've been waiting 3 months for the A129 and finally got around to installing it a week ago. It's been good so far, except that the video looks less sharp than I had expected. Do I have an out of focus lens or is this the expected daytime video quality? I have the bitrate set to high, WDR disabled, and resolution set to 1080/30fps (running front/rear) in the following sample.

look ok to me. try get few more sample like evening time and night time. somehow better re-position the lens to 1 notch upper. I have 1 set of A129 focusing issue. front camera was center focusing out while the rear camera seem to have shallow DOF.

I am a real newbie to dashcam usage / expectations, etc..., but with the high res of the image captured, I bet that it could be blown up and rendered a useful image if necessary for ins. or law purposes. Otherwise the clear image of the cars, environment, and action is paramount to accurate event recreation.

Right? If I need the #, I can get it. What I really want is a clear representation of the event.

Pretty much what you see in play back with pause is what you get. The main way of getting a still out is by screen capturing the paused video. There are probably other methods within some video tools of separating individual frames. However, readability of a plate comes down mainly to pixel density and the more you enlarge a picture, the more you reduce the picture density (your photo program will also start interpolating which can lead to errors). The ways around this for a clearer shot are 1. Use a higher resolution sensor or 2. use more than 1 camera and fit the 2nd camera with a zoom lens (I refer you to the current experiments with the Mobius camera on this). Remember video has relatively high compression which doesn't help either. On the sensor front, most sensors over 2mp don't have good low light performance (yet!).

TBH, I disagree. Here's another shot taken where the car passes through the shadow of a tree, - you can clearly see it's shaded, but the result is no better:

All shots were taken from the HD 1080P version of the video.

There also appears to be some distortion, both the tailgate of the gold car and the silver car just behind it appear to have distortion down the down the centre. Be a very large co-incidence if both vehicles had exactly the same type of damage in the same place, in fact the one on the silver car is impossible as the spiler lip folds down into the glass which is also folded. You can't fold rigid glass!
What is the bitrate on that video?

There also appears to be some distortion, both the tailgate of the gold car and the silver car just behind it appear to have distortion down the down the centre. Be a very large co-incidence if both vehicles had exactly the same type of damage in the same place, in fact the one on the silver car is impossible as the spiler lip folds down into the glass which is also folded. You can't fold rigid glass!
You took a particular frame from the video and queried the 'distortion' that you see. If you take a few moments to look at the video just a second earlier, you would see that the silver car does have a distinctive tailgate feature:
1531929408693.png

What is the bitrate on that video?

It's not my video Nigel so I wouldn't know. You'd have to ask the OP who's complaining about the focus.

You took a particular frame from the video and queried the 'distortion' that you see. If you take a few moments to look at the video just a second earlier, you would see that the silver car does have a distinctive tailgate feature:

Yeah I checked some earlier frames, my bad, the silver car does have an unusual tailgate.

It's not my video Nigel so I wouldn't know. You'd have to ask the OP who's complaining about the focus.
I don't expect that the OP would know what bitrate YouTube was sending to you!

Had something weird happen with mine last night. Unit started beeping crazy like a memory card fail.

I took the card inside and found the front was recording perfectly but the rear was freezing.

I tested just the front by itself and it was fine. I unplugged rear camera and plugged back in and everything appears OK now. Hopefully it stays that way.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I appreciate the feedback and recommendations. Following Nigel's recommendation, I adjusted the angle up one click and the clarity of surrounding cars does appear better due to less fisheye distortion and better exposure. As many of you observed, my dashcam mounting position isn't optimal. Unfortunately, my car has a fairly large driver assistance module that blocks the usual mounting area behind the rearview camera. My remaining options were to mount it pretty far off-center or below the module, which is what I ended up choosing. As for the YouTube compression in 1080p playback, I'd say that it's a good enough representation of the original video. I won't have a chance to capture nighttime video for comparison anytime soon, but here's a video with the angle corrected.

Once again, thanks for the replies!

I appreciate the feedback and recommendations. Following Nigel's recommendation, I adjusted the angle up one click and the clarity of surrounding cars does appear better due to less fisheye distortion and better exposure. As many of you observed, my dashcam mounting position isn't optimal. Unfortunately, my car has a fairly large driver assistance module that blocks the usual mounting area behind the rearview camera. My remaining options were to mount it pretty far off-center or below the module, which is what I ended up choosing. As for the YouTube compression in 1080p playback, I'd say that it's a good enough representation of the original video. I won't have a chance to capture nighttime video for comparison anytime soon, but here's a video with the angle corrected.

video looks great, thank you for sharing

Had something weird happen with mine last night. Unit started beeping crazy like a memory card fail.

I took the card inside and found the front was recording perfectly but the rear was freezing.

I tested just the front by itself and it was fine. I unplugged rear camera and plugged back in and everything appears OK now. Hopefully it stays that way.

Which card are you using?

I experienced similar beeping and lost / frozen recordings recently. I have changed cards and I'm still evaluating whether it is a card or camera issue.

Good observation Nigel. Never noticed the camera might be a little low. It's handling those plates much better now.

I experienced similar beeping and lost / frozen recordings recently. I have changed cards and I'm still evaluating whether it is a card or camera issue.
It's a Samsung evo select 128gb

I would put it up one more click.

It is normally recommended that you have dashcams pointing down a bit, but because you have it mounted quite low down on the window its view is a bit compressed vertically. Also with it using the latest Novatek processor and a good sensor it can handle higher contrast scenes much better than older dashcams, having some sky in the image isn't so much of a problem.

I've also had two occasions when I've returned to the car (hardwired connection for parking mode) and found the camera beeping. I haven't had a chance to pull the card (128GB Lexar 633x) yet, but it previously worked perfectly in an A119.

I was about to order a 256GB Samsung EVO Plus (directly from amazon) as it's mentioned in another thread.

I've also had two occasions when I've returned to the car (hardwired connection for parking mode) and found the camera beeping. I haven't had a chance to pull the card (128GB Lexar 633x) yet, but it previously worked perfectly in an A119.

I was about to order a 256GB Samsung EVO Plus (directly from amazon) as it's mentioned in another thread.
Lexar cards have been troublesome in dash cameras as of late. Best to try another card.

anyone recommend a durable/reliable micro sd card that won't put a hole in my wallet?

anyone recommend a durable/reliable micro sd card that won't put a hole in my wallet?
The new SanDisk Ultra A1 Card is reasonably priced and works well with the Viofo cameras. Just be sure your buying the Ultra cards that say A1 on them. Samsung EVO Select have been solid as well.

The new SanDisk Ultra A1 Card is reasonably priced and works well with the Viofo cameras. Just be sure your buying the Ultra cards that say A1 on them. Samsung EVO Select have been solid as well.

are these good for continuous recording? I hear these fail after a year or so. Any good high endurance cards?

Back