I really need some help in deciding on the right cameras.

Originally, I just used a big wad of Blu-tack (Sometimes known as Fun-tack) that I bought at the local dollar store. It worked fine to hold everything in place and gave the screws some purchase. (those are short but big FAT screws, btw). Then a contractor working on my house gave me a bunch of special epoxy putty that is sandable and drillable when it hardens. It's used for patching holes in wood. So I switched to that. I just wadded up a ball of it and carefully pressed it into place behind the headliner.
If you visit your local hardware store, I'll bet there is a product that they can recommend for the job.

As for the headliner, it is very easy to get a putty knife under the edge and simply pull it back away a little bit to get behind it. I guess a more professional manner of doing what I did would be to remove the headliner and install a metal bracket for the camera mount to attach to instead of the putty method.

I know/understand the things you used and will keep them in mind in case I really have a problem. With a little luck everything will be fine so I'm going to quit worrying till a problem comes up. Thanks a lot for the information, I'll keep you informed.

I know/understand the things you used and will keep them in mind in case I really have a problem. With a little luck everything will be fine so I'm going to quit worrying till a problem comes up. Thanks a lot for the information, I'll keep you informed.

For some of us these kinds of challenges are part of the fun of the whole thing. For me at least, a lot of my dash cam experience has become a kind of hobby, especially when it comes to the Mobius.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your installation goes.

BTW, there is an entire thread called "Mobius Mounting Solutions". There are a lot of clever ideas in there and you may find it helpful to peruse that thread if you haven't seen it already.

For some of us these kinds of challenges are part of the fun of the whole thing. For me at least, a lot of my dash cam experience has become a kind of hobby, especially when it comes to the Mobius.

BTW, there is an entire thread called "Mobius Mounting Solutions". There are a lot of clever ideas in there and you may find it helpful to peruse that thread if you haven't seen it already.
Did you ever solve your exposure problems with the 2 SG9665GC-V2 that you have? There was a guy here before with exposure problems and I remember you wrote about it.

Did you ever solve your exposure problems with the 2 SG9665GC-V2 that you have? There was a guy here before with exposure problems and I remember you wrote about it.

Niko posted a good example of old vs new AE (auto exposure) tables in the latest SG9665GC firmware.
(He applogized for having a dirty / glass pitted-chipped view though)

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-pre-release-access.16310/page-56#post-266856

Further IQ adjustments in an upcoming firmware are in the works of course.

The firmware got some major and very welcomed exposure fix-its but the answer is basically NO, the problems have not been resolved. I have been unable to find a suitable setting that works properly. Depending on the conditions one is driving through at any given time things looks fine one moment, become excessively dark the next and then suddenly you'll have the highlights blow out quite badly. I've been continuing my testing and plan to post results shortly in the appropriate thread.

I'm pleased to hear that further improvements are still pending and hope the SG9665GC can finally live up to it's promises.

We are doing some further AE table weighting adjustments at the moment, once we get that where we need then there will be some further work being done on IQ tuning

I can see it as a hobby also, but right now I want to get it up and going as quick as I can. After the rear cam is in and working I can take my time more on the front camera. I'll definitely keep you informed, actually today or tomorrow I'm going to start a new post on the set up software.
I'll be sure and check out the link on Mobius Mounting solutions, I'm probably going to need it.

In my Mobius I'll be running a supercapacitor instead of a battery so my question is should I wait till I get everything mounted in the truck before I charge the capacitor and set up the camera options I want ? I'm asking this because I don't know if the supercapacitor will keep everything going and hold the camera settings. I just don't know?

In my Mobius I'll be running a supercapacitor instead of a battery so my question is should I wait till I get everything mounted in the truck before I charge the capacitor and set up the camera options I want ? I'm asking this because I don't know if the supercapacitor will keep everything going and hold the camera settings. I just don't know?

Within a few seconds of being charged up the super-capacitor in the Mobius will hold the date and time settings for approximately a week or more. Even if the super-capacitor runs down, you will only lose the time and date settings but everything else will stay as you set it in the firmware.

BTW, I like to aim my Mobius cams carefully in my truck so I use a small LCD TV hooked up with the supplied wiring harness. I use a power bank to power the super-capacitor enabled camera and view what the camera is seeing while aiming and then plug it back into my trucks 12V power when I'm done.

BTW, I like to aim my Mobius cams carefully in my truck so I use a small LCD TV hooked up with the supplied wiring harness. I use a power bank to power the super-capacitor enabled camera and view what the camera is seeing while aiming and then plug it back into my trucks 12V power when I'm done.
Hi Dashmellow, What wiring harness? My Mobius didn't come with one. Have you got a link to where you got your harness and LCD?

The memory cards are driving me crazy. I was all set to get the Transcend 64GB High Endurance (about $40.00) When the
Samsung MB-MP64DA/AM)
was mentioned with good results for $2?.00 and seems a good buy have you had any experience with these cards?

The Samsung came with this caveat but I'm not sure what it means : Compatible with devices with SDxC slots-usage in non SDXC slot lead to reduced performance.

Last edited:
Hi Dashmellow, What wiring harness? My Mobius didn't come with one. Have you got a link to where you got your harness and LCD?

The memory cards are driving me crazy. I was all set to get the Transcend 64GB High Endurance (about $40.00) When the
Samsung MB-MP64DA/AM)
was mentioned with good results for $2?.00 and seems a good buy have you had any experience with these cards?

The Samsung came with this caveat but I'm not sure what it means : Compatible with devices with SDxC slots-usage in non SDXC slot lead to reduced performance.

The Samsung card will be fine. I use the same one in one of my Mobius cams as well as an SG9665GC.

Eletoponline365, the Mobius manufacturer's eBay vendor always includes a free AV wiring harness with the purchase of a Mobius camera. I believe some other vendors do too but I'm not 100% certain of that.

Mobiwharness.jpg

The wiring harness looks like this and it can be used to power the camera from an external USB source and output Audio/Video from the camera.
harness.jpg

You can buy the wiring harness from Eletoponline365 separately for less than 5 dollars with free shipping and you will receive it in 7-9 days.

harness2.jpg

Last edited:
The Samsung card will be fine. I use the same one in one of my Mobius cams as well as an SG9665GC.

Eletoponline365, the Mobius manufacturer's eBay vendor always includes a free AV wiring harness with the purchase of a Mobius camera. I believe some other vendors do too but I'm not 100% certain of that.

View attachment 25192

The wiring harness looks like this and it can be used to power the camera from an external source and output Audio/Video from the camera.
View attachment 25190

You can buy the wiring harness from Eletoponline365 separately for less than 5 dollars with free shipping and you will receive it in 7-9 days.

View attachment 25191

GREAT, Any special place you bought your LCD

View attachment 25192

The wiring harness looks like this and it can be used to power the camera from an external USB source and output Audio/Video from the camera.
View attachment 25190

View attachment 25191

I bought the one in the last picture you posted from Eletoponline365 ($4.60).
Any place special to get the small LCD camera from?

I read a posting about you having some trouble with a camera flaring out on white objects or something like that and it made me think of a review I watched on a camera with a WDS (I think) function/capability, this function is supposed to help with better pictures at night. Anyway, if your camera has that function maybe it's acting up!
In the review it really made a difference in the day time coming out of heavy shade like a tunnel into bright sunlight and the exact reverse, bright light to shade like a tunnel. It was so dramatic that the commentator even made remarks about how good it was, just a thought.

Last edited:
GREAT, Any special place you bought your LCD

I bought the one in the last picture you posted from Eletoponline365 ($4.60).
Any place special to get the small LCD camera from?

I read a posting about you having some trouble with a camera flaring out on white objects or something like that and it made me think of a review I watched on a camera with a WDS (I think) function/capability, this function is supposed to help with better pictures at night. Anyway, if your camera has that function maybe it's acting up!
In the review it really made a difference in the day time coming out of heavy shade like a tunnel into bright sunlight and the exact reverse, bright light to shade like a tunnel. It was so dramatic that the commentator even made remarks about how good it was, just a thought.

The LCD monitor I use for aiming the Mobius is an older factory refurbished Haier HLT71 7 inch TV I bought years ago on eBay for 50 dollars. You can still find them online here and there but they are no longer manufactured as far as I know. HERE is an example of one. There is a 2009 one still on Amazon selling for 250 dollars! There are many other similar portable TVs on the market though if you look around and do some searching for "Small LCD TV"

(Edit: Some of the older Haier HLT71 TVs you see on eBay may not have a working battery in them anymore and it can be difficult to find the battery it needs, so before you consider buying a used one or refurbished one if you should indeed find one, keep that in mind. While you can indeed find a replacement battery, some of them don't fit too well as I found out the hard way when I needed to perform surgery on my Haier to make it fit.)

The main requirement for using a portable LCD TV for this purpose is that it have a suitable AV input for the dash cam. The attraction with the Haier is that it has standard RCA jacks along one side for that purpose. Some just have a 3.5mm phone plug jack and need a special RCA plug adapter. Some of these small LCD TVs have no AV inputs at all. Of course, the other thing about a portable TV for dash cam aiming is that a portable TV has an internal lithium-polymer battery.

These kinds of small TVs usually look about like this:

LCDTV.jpg haier.jpg

There are also countless small LCD monitors of varying quality and resolution available on eBay, Amazon and elsewhere. There are some expensive ones that offer full 1080p resolution that are used for critical viewing and focusing in videography and photography. The Haier TV and similar inexpensive portable TV models and monitors are far lower in pixel count resolution but they do the job for aiming and can even be used for focusing. (Although the web cam feature of the Mobius is far superior if you need to focus the lens.)

If you do a search for "Small LCD monitors" you'll find countless models of different types and sizes. For very little money you can buy a small modest resolution 4 or 5 inch monitor from Chinese vendors that will do the job like this one from Deal Extreme. Some of these are made for reverse back-up car cameras and the image can be switched from mirror mode to normal.

The main consideration if using one of these little monitors is that they usually require an external 12V power source so they tend to be less convenient than a portable TV with an internal battery.

LCD.jpg

Finally, the story of the High Contrast/Dynamic Range flaw I've been experiencing with the SG9665GC is a long saga that is really best discussed in the lengthy thread I started on the subject last March. In any event, the problem is not because the WDR function is acting up but rather is a more complicated firmware Auto Exposure problem which is also perhaps related to the inherent nature of the particular Sony sensor in that camera that @jokiin has been working diligently towards resolving.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of aiming/seeing the picture to aim the cameras, however I am going to put that on hold till I can get things going. Right now I have everything in the camera department except the Micro SD card and some Microsoft software to set up the Camera and view the pictures. What version of MS's operating system are you running with no problems, I'll see if I can find a copy?

Remember when I told you that Amazon and I were not seeing eye to eye! I tried to order a SD card from them the other day and they wanted $10.00 for shipping!!!! Then had a message about how if I tried "Prime" (Their credit card) how much cheaper my shipping would be !

People seem to think that their credit card is free for a year to try but it isn't! If you cancel you will owe all the back shipping at a straight shipping price, like $10.00 for a credit card. It's called "Black Mail where I come from!!

You don't really need to aim the Mobius all that carefully and you can re-adjust accordingly as you go. You'll be fine without a monitor. In the long run I do prefer the precision aiming though, for example for the rear camera I like having the camera aligned perfectly parallel to the tail gate in my truck with a specific amount of sky in the image for optimum exposure as the dark truck bed can be tricky for the camera's auto exposure capabilities in certain lighting. I also like having a precise balance of coverage on either side of the truck bed. You can get things pretty close with no monitor though.

"Amazon Prime" is just a kind of "membership" for 99 dollars a year, it has nothing to do with their credit card offering and you don't need to use their credit card.

I don't use the Amazon credit card but I tried out Amazon Prime about two years ago when they were offering a special deep discount and I found that I really liked it and feel it to be a bargain. For me, living in a rural area where I can't get cable I love watching as much video as I want for 99 bucks a year and it even works well with my crappy 3MBPS bandwidth using a Roku or iPad. I buy enough stuff on Amazon over the course of a year that the Prime membership more than pays for itself with the free shipping and other perks like free music downloads, cloud storage, Kindle books, photo storage, early access to special deals, etc., etc. I've been pretty happy with their customer service too the few times I had a problem with an item. If not for the Prime membership and free shipping I probably wouldn't be such a fan but in a rural area where I can find stuff on Amazon for half the price I would have to pay locally and can have it at my door for free in two days it's been a kind of a Godsend. Of course, if you don't need or want all those services even at 99 bucks its not attractive.

The thing with Amazon is that if you buy memory cards from them that say "Sold and shipped by Amazon" you know you are getting the real McCoy and they always seem to have the best prices. I always advise people that Amazon is the BEST place to buy memory cards.

Anyway, I use Windows 7 pro that I run as a virtual machine on an iMac. I have two 1920 x 1200 monitors and so I can have OSX on one monitor and Windows 7 on the other and work with files from both systems back and forth. Even though I primarily use the Mac, there are a number of must-have pieces of Windows software I use like mSetup for instance, so I love having the virtual machine capabilities. Using this scheme I can also run Linux as well or any other operating system I might wish to. I used to run a Joomla VM appliance for example and I still have my old Windows XP system stashed away as a VM. I happen to use Parallels Desktop to run my virtual machines but as I mentioned earlier you can use Virtual Box to host another operating system which is free and cross platform so it runs directly in Linux.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of aiming/seeing the picture to aim the cameras, however I am going to put that on hold till I can get things going. Right now I have everything in the camera department except the Micro SD card and some Microsoft software to set up the Camera and view the pictures. What version of MS's operating system are you running with no problems, I'll see if I can find a copy?

Remember when I told you that Amazon and I were not seeing eye to eye! I tried to order a SD card from them the other day and they wanted $10.00 for shipping!!!! Then had a message about how if I tried "Prime" (Their credit card) how much cheaper my shipping would be !

People seem to think that their credit card is free for a year to try but it isn't! If you cancel you will owe all the back shipping at a straight shipping price, like $10.00 for a credit card. It's called "Black Mail where I come from!!
You can become a Prime member for free and have free 2 day delivery for $79 per yr. BUT... as soon as u sign up u can cancel the membership right away and they allow u to have that one month free

You don't really need to aim the Mobius all that carefully and you can re-adjust accordingly as you go. You'll be fine without a monitor. In the long run I do prefer the precision aiming though, for example for the rear camera I like having the camera aligned perfectly parallel to the tail gate in my truck with a specific amount of sky in the image for optimum exposure as the dark truck bed can be tricky for the camera's auto exposure capabilities in certain lighting. I also like having a precise balance of coverage on either side of the truck bed. You can get things pretty close with no monitor though.

"Amazon Prime" is just a kind of "membership" for 99 dollars a year, it has nothing to do with their credit card offering and you don't need to use their credit card.

I don't use the Amazon credit card but I tried out Amazon Prime about two years ago when they were offering a special deep discount and I found that I really liked it and feel it to be a bargain. For me, living in a rural area where I can't get cable I love watching as much video as I want for 99 bucks a year and it even works well with my crappy 3MBPS bandwidth using a Roku or iPad. I buy enough stuff on Amazon over the course of a year that the Prime membership more than pays for itself with the free shipping and other perks like free music downloads, cloud storage, Kindle books, photo storage, early access to special deals, etc., etc. I've been pretty happy with their customer service too the few times I had a problem with an item. If not for the Prime membership and free shipping I probably wouldn't be such a fan but in a rural area where I can find stuff on Amazon for half the price I would have to pay locally and can have it at my door for free in two days it's been a kind of a Godsend. Of course, if you don't need or want all those services even at 99 bucks its not attractive.

The thing with Amazon is that if you buy memory cards from them that say "Sold and shipped by Amazon" you know you are getting the real McCoy and they always seem to have the best prices. I always advise people that Amazon is the BEST place to buy memory cards.

Anyway, I use Windows 7 pro that I run as a virtual machine on an iMac. I have two 1920 x 1200 monitors and so I can have OSX on one monitor and Windows 7 on the other and work with files from both systems back and forth. Even though I primarily use the Mac, there are a number of must-have pieces of Windows software I use like mSetup for instance, so I love having the virtual machine capabilities. Using this scheme I can also run Linux as well or any other operating system I might wish to. I used to run a Joomla VM appliance for example and I still have my old Window XP system stashed away as a VM. I happen to use Parallels Desktop to run my virtual machines but as I mentioned earlier you can use Virtual Box to host another operating system which is free and cross platform so it runs directly in Linux.

Anyway, I use Windows 7 pro that I run as a virtual machine on an iMac. I have two 1920 x 1200 monitors and so I can have OSX on one monitor and Windows 7 on the other and work with files from both systems back and forth. Even though I primarily use the Mac, there are a number of must-have pieces of Windows software I use like mSetup for instance, so I love having the virtual machine capabilities. Using this scheme I can also run Linux as well or any other operating system I might wish to. I used to run a Joomla VM appliance for example and I still have my old Window XP system stashed away as a VM. I happen to use Parallels Desktop to run my virtual machines but as I mentioned earlier you can use Virtual Box to host another operating system which is free and cross platform so it runs directly in Linux.
Regarding the SG9665GC Is it possible to post a reply with your results Pro or Con after u update to beta 26 when ever it is released?

Regarding the SG9665GC Is it possible to post a reply with your results Pro or Con after u update to beta 26 when ever it is released?

You can count on it.
You can become a Prime member for free and have free 2 day delivery for $79 per yr. BUT... as soon as u sign up u can cancel the membership right away and they allow u to have that one month free

Here in the US, Amazon is $99 per year or $10.99 per month. They raised the price from $79.00 to $99.00 back in March, 2014. There is still the 30 day free trial, of course.

...Here in the US, Amazon is $99 per year or $10.99 per month. They raised the price from $79.00 to $99.00 back in March, 2014. There is still the 30 day free trial, of course.
If you watch they sometimes have it discounted. My current subscription was either $59 or $69 for a full year. Will probably cancel when it comes up for renewal and see what they offer.

Back