Is there such thing as a side view dashcam? (For your car doors)

I find it amusing and maybe a little ironic that in your exterior photos trying to show how you can't see the mobius cameras, you CAN see reflections of cameras mounted to the buildings! Did you do that on purpose?

Yup, saw that too.....just coincidence.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Yesterday, I took all four of my cameras inside to do the Daylight Savings Time adjustments, format the cards all around for the first time in awhile and I tweaked the focus on my right side C2 Mobius because it seemed slightly off after a long hot summer (it was!...apparently).

So, for no particular reason I thought I'd post a couple of screen grabs from the right side Mobius in this side view camera thread 'cause it was a gorgeous day, the river over the local bridges from Vermont to New Hampshire looked especially beautiful late this afternoon and the camera is back to its old sharp self. Love my Mobius side cams! :)

riverview1.jpg

riverview2.jpg

Last edited:
figured out how to install the side cameras now: with magnets (neodymium n42)
see pics attached.

have decided on the Joovuu x and placed order today.

With the magnets the install should be fairly simple, though might have
to ditch the gps cable for a regular one.

I can hook both camera to a BV Magic pro right? (using a splitter)

Those magnets will be useless once the temperature inside your car reaches ~90F. Neodymium loses its magnetic properties when the metal heats up. Trust me, i did the same thing you did and had a camera swing down and almost hit me in the face..

That never happened to me, but it is also small and light cameras i have hanging off magnets, but no matter the time of the year i have not noticed the cameras to be easier to pry off their location.

I mounted 2 cameras with Neodymium magnets, as the magnets got hot, like 100f and higher they wouldn't even attract to eachother, once they cooled down they acted normal again. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=temperature-and-neodymium-magnets I could have just had some cheap magents.. I got a pack of 50 quarter sized circular ones on amazon.

I suspect that you may have purchased some inferior quality magnets.

According to the source you cite, a typical 1/2" diameter x 1/8" thick, Grade N42, D82 magnet such as they use in Example #1 would need to exceed 80º C (176º F) to reach its MaxOpTemp, the point where it would permanently demagnetize. They state that, "Up to the MaxOpTemp, you will see some loss of magnetic strength at those elevated temperatures. When you bring the magnet back down to room temperature, it returns to the original strength. These losses are small, typically within 5 to 10 percent."

My experience has been the same as @kamkar1's having never had a noticeable problem with neodymium magnets in a hot vehicle.

Last edited:
The ones i use is thicker ones, about 1/2 DIA and 1/4 thickness.

A magnet with coin size i could imagine was more susceptible to heat issues, and also i am in Denmark and in summer we dont get many 30 or +30 deg C days.

Just did a test where i took the magnets and set them in boiling water for 3 min. They still maintained their magnetism.. and the water was 200f + temp. But im telling you, all summer id start with the camera securely magnetized to my roof, park at work in direct sun and by the end of work it was hanging by the cord and any attempts to set it back up had ZERO magnetic pull until i let it cool down and then it stuck strong again. I usually used 3 magnets stacked in 2 rows and it held with atleast 3lbs of force.

Well summer is still far away si i hope they stay in place for at least 6 months :)

BTW I've decided to go with a different setup: I bought a thinkware F770 and will place it in the back
and the rear cameras of the 750 & 770 will be placed on the sides.

All 4 cameras finally installed.
I found the best angle was to have the side cams film the other side of the car
(ie the cam on the left films through the interior to the right).
This way the cam sees everything that's happening around the car.
(i put some velcro on the magnet to make sure it won't slide)
IMG_6881.JPG IMG_6882.JPG IMG_6883.JPG IMG_6755.JPG

Last edited:
This is my current setup once I get the Koonlung cameras in a few weeks for the sides. As you can see, there will be PLENTY of overlap between the 4 outside facing cameras with the side ones facing about 10 degrees forward. I drive a 2015 Ford Focus SE for Uber/Lyft so the BlackVue with IR was a must have for interior footage.

Attachments

• Dash Cam Setup.jpg
    Dash Cam Setup.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 58
@anfof
Let us know how well the interior cam works- lately there have been more than a few requests from Uber/Lyft/Taxi drivers regards suggestions for interior cams and we could use your results to help others. You might even want to start a thread on that subject and post some vids or screen-shots there ;)

I'm still thinking on an end solution for my extended full size van. Due to it's length and my tool shelves blocking the rear windows it's looking like I'll need 6 cams to cover everything as well as I want. The 4 I have now is OK but there's always an "itch" to do better where you can :p I gotta say it felt really good to get the 4th cam running; much more peace of mind knowing it's there.

Phil

This is my current setup once I get the Koonlung cameras in a few weeks for the sides. As you can see, there will be PLENTY of overlap between the 4 outside facing cameras with the side ones facing about 10 degrees forward. I drive a 2015 Ford Focus SE for Uber/Lyft so the BlackVue with IR was a must have for interior footage.

You should be fine for overlapping coverage with your proposed set-up but from experience I can tell you that really need to see how it all works out once you do the installation rather than rely in a speculative diagram like that. It really depends on the particular vehicle and of course, the particular cameras. (For example, you may find that your out-facing side cameras need to be more forward as you have them very far back.)

You should be fine for overlapping coverage with your proposed set-up but from experience I can tell you that really need to see how it all works out once you do the installation rather than rely in a speculative diagram like that. It really depends on the particular vehicle and of course, the particular cameras. (For example, you may find that your out-facing side cameras need to be more forward as you have them very far back.)
I completely agree but I made sure I used a blueprint of my exact model car and if you measure the angles on the diagram, you'll notice the FOV's are the same as the exact model cameras they represent. BlackSys: 135, BlackVue: 129, and Koonlung: 140. I'm very anal when I make diagrams lol.

It's not you but the cams. Many if not most overstate the FOV angle, some very much so. Only a real world test can show you what you're going to get.

Phil

@anfof
Let us know how well the interior cam works- lately there have been more than a few requests from Uber/Lyft/Taxi drivers regards suggestions for interior cams and we could use your results to help others. You might even want to start a thread on that subject and post some vids or screen-shots there ;)

I'm still thinking on an end solution for my extended full size van. Due to it's length and my tool shelves blocking the rear windows it's looking like I'll need 6 cams to cover everything as well as I want. The 4 I have now is OK but there's always an "itch" to do better where you can :p I gotta say it felt really good to get the 4th cam running; much more peace of mind knowing it's there.

Phil
Right now I'm actually torn on what exact setup I'm going to have in the future. I have 2 setups in my head. The 1st is the one I posted earlier but the problem with that is the BlackVue's rear IR cam is in the back while the main unit is in the front. For Uber/Lyft it isn't ideal because at night, I can't see people's faces.

The 2nd setup I'm thinking about is more expensive but much more practical. I'd replace the BlackSys with a Thinkware F770 with the IR rear camera and have both on the front windshield (rear camera facing inward of course). I'd move the main BlackVue unit to the rear facing out and leave the rear unit facing inward on the backseat. This way I'd have 1080p footage with ALL cameras except the BV's rear camera and I'd have night vision footage on BOTH interior cameras. The Koonlung wouldn't change.

Assuming the FOV's are accurate, this is how the 2nd setup would look.

Attachments

• Dash Cam Setup 02.jpg
    Dash Cam Setup 02.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 27
I completely agree but I made sure I used a blueprint of my exact model car and if you measure the angles on the diagram, you'll notice the FOV's are the same as the exact model cameras they represent. BlackSys: 135, BlackVue: 129, and Koonlung: 140. I'm very anal when I make diagrams lol.

You can get as anal as you wish but only real world testing will tell you what works and what doesn't. What the manufacturer claims for specs, even if fairly accurate, can be very different than real world results depending on the variables of the optical design of each lens and the idiosyncrasies of your vehicle's windows. You can't determine this from a graphic. Mounting options available in each vehicle will reveal the possibilities and options and this will also influence your final results.

I've posted these screen grabs elsewhere here on DCT but since they seem to be germane to the discussion here is what my 360º coverage set-up now looks like in a Toyota Tacoma after almost two years of casual experimentation with various cameras and lens FOV options that began with re-purposing older cameras that I had otherwise taken out of service. I've learned that having significant overlap from camera to camera is very important as is coverage as close in to the sides of my vehicle as possible. Only real world testing will provide such information. A graphic with drawn lines of theoretical coverage in two dimensions will not.

frontA23.jpg

leftA2.jpg

rightA22.jpg

rearA2.jpg

Last edited:
Back