Is there such thing as a side view dashcam? (For your car doors)

Mounted the Mobius C to left and right side at various days

Day 1, too far from the window and a little bit of swaying with camera.

Below are stills taken at an intersection.

Using VLC and setting the speed at less than 10 per cent, I can clearly see the cigarette of one driver when stopped at that intersection. 04.png 07.png

Day 2, mounted to the passengers side and directed more or less parralel to the ground. Closer to the window and more firmily secured Kind of surprised I can see drivers of both small cars low car like a civic, up to the drivers of a big rig. Can see the driver in that case, but not the top of the window. S

Day 3, Still mounted to the passengers side and captured a deer at the side of the road

Again, the images are pretty crisp for something which is stationary outside the window, more or less when I accelerate1.png 2a.png 2a.png 6.png to get on the highway

I was surprised how clear the shots are. That I can catch shots on things that pass me on the opposite direction. My main camera, a much slower FPS, can have a bit of a blur.

Videos can be found at
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...our-bus-with-side-dash-cam.19910/#post-260060
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...of-highway-on-ramp-with-side-cam-video.19911/

Last edited:
The ones mounted closer to the glass look great! It can take some experimentation to determine the best up/down angle. I like to capture as much as I can of cars close to me in a parking lot while at the same time having the camera tilted high enough to capture the lanes of traffic next to me and things I drive past like in your images above. The Mobius C2 lens seems to work quite well for that.

Speaking of finding the optimal aiming position for the Mobius, I forgot to mention that I use the optional Mobius AV wiring harness and a small portable 7 inch LCD TV. Since the cameras have super-capacitors I also use the AV cable to temporarily power the camera with a battery bank during aiming. Doing this makes it SO much easier than trial and error and lends a degree of aiming precision you can't otherwise easily achieve.

Last edited:
I was asked to provide some photos as to how I have it mounted. I have experimented with a few things. Latest is put some multi purpose ties thru the openings on the bracket for the mobius. I found putting velcro thru there resulted in it getting loose. Velcro straps fit thru the opening between the ties and the bracket.

I tried to take photos today, but got really bad shots due the reflection in the windows. Will try again.

IMG_20160628_100230-sideCam-resized.jpg IMG_20160628_100218-sideCam-resized.jpg IMG_20160628_074112-sideCam-resized.jpg

Because you have side curtain airbags, you might want to rethink your mounting location. The bottom of the glass would be safer, though that will make it a little harder to run the power cord to it.

Right now if the airbags go off, your mobius may become a projectile aimed towards the passengers.

Having seen in person what airbags can do to inanimate objects (a steering wheel airbag will launch a full size Toyota Land Cruiser tire onto the roof of a warehouse!), I will spend an extra hour routing a cable differently to avoid them if I have to. I ran the cable for my wife's rear camera down the middle of the headliner to avoid the side curtain airbags in her Highlander.

Then again if your rav only has 2 row curtains, you're fine. Our Highlander and sienna van both had 3 row curtains.

I believe the pillar visible in the photo states air bag. I will check. On that side of the car, if I place on the lower side of the window, the cable wouldn't be an issue as the car charger outlet is close. The cable would run underneath the cargo liner. The problem would be no fabric to run velcro straps and there would be a difference of a foot in where the camera is located. By having it raised high in the rav, I feed I get alot. Small cars to driver of semi's. Lower it a foot, and I may not get the driver of semi's.

I may place the camera on rear side of the car, the photo shows it closer to the front, close to what I suspect is an air big pillar.

Im not too worried about side airbags, i had this car for 4 years now and i had other ppl than myself in it like 2 houres.

PPl just have to take it like it is, or walk or take the bus :D

PS. it say the same on my B-pillar plastics, but i had them all off installing my old analog 4 channel system, and there is nothing behind the plastic aside for the B-pillar the seatbelt attach to.

I have a feeling the exploding bag is in the front seats of my little car.

PS. it would be nice if the manual for the car had it pictured where these exploding bags are.

If they are in the seats there would be a tag stitched into the trim, depending on the spec level of the car as to how many air bags they use, cheaper end of the market is often just driver and passenger, as you start to climb up the range you see things like side curtain, pillar, knee etc

side curtain bags are inside the head liner, not the pillars. thus the name "curtain" - they come straight down.

this pic shows both - the one labeled Torso is actually in the side of the seat itself and these only ever exist in the front seats. then obviously the curtain... as you can see it comes down out of the headliner in front of the pillars. it's a little ambiguous about exactly where it would come out in the 3rd row of a van or SUV - depends on construction around the window (plastic or fabric at the top) and how wide the 3rd row seat is. ideally the passenger should contact the airbag as soon as possible so it has as much time as possible to slow down the passenger before they hit something solid.

2i0vtys.jpg

at least we don't have to deal with this yet... :D

Hello all, to chime in, this is my setup:

- Blackvue DR650-GW 2ch (Front / Rear)
- Mobius V3 Wide Angle Lens C2 (Right)

I only recently installed the Mobius and I do like how it turned out; and I am currently looking to install probably another Mobius on the leftside to complete the 360-coverage. The Blackvue is powered via 12V outlet while the Mobius is hooked up to a 3-port RAVPower 22000mAh 5.8A Output Power Bank (see link); they are all on parking mode.

Front Cam:

Right Cam (Mobius Lens C2):

Rear Cam :

Using my dash AV display (with Mobius A/V cable), I made sure the wide angled Mobius was well positioned at the rear right window so there is just enough overlap with both front/rear cameras.

Later, I am going to post pics of the camera mount positions.

Cheers

D

Last edited:
Hello all, to chime in, this is my setup:

- Blackvue DR650-GW 2ch (Front / Rear)
- Mobius V3 Wide Angle Lens C2 (Right)

I only recently installed the Mobius and I do like how it turned out; and I am currently looking to install probably another Mobius on the leftside to complete the 360-coverage. The Blackvue is powered via 12V outlet while the Mobius is hooked up to a 3-port RAVPower 22000mAh 5.8A Output Power Bank (see link); they are all on parking mode.

Front Cam:

Right Cam (Mobius Lens C2):

Rear Cam :

Using my dash AV display (with Mobius A/V cable), I made sure the wide angled Mobius was well positioned at the rear right window so there is just enough overlap with both front/rear cameras.

Later, I am going to post pics of the camera mount positions.

Cheers

D

Looks great! Yeah, it definitely seems to want another Mobius C2 on the left to complete the coverage.

Last edited:
I'm currently looking to add 2 side cameras (my main unit is is the thinkware F750 dual).

was going for the koonlung k1s as the cameras are small, but apparently it's a peace of cr*p.
it's now between Mobius and joovuu-x...

until then I'm trying to figure out how and where to mount them;
How about fixing a bicycle handlebar mount onto the (top) handles inside the car? (either front or back)

Mobius probably would be my choice of a side camera, it's good enough for what I'd want and is hard to beat for reliability, price and size. The JooVuu X, while it is more expensive, gets you 1080p60 compared to the Mobius 1080p30 or 720p60 and likely better night footage, plus the other features it has. Then there's the Mobius 2, does 1080p60 but not fully mature yet, might be slightly cheaper than the JVX, I'm not sure. I'd say it all boils down to your budget and whether you want a tried and tested camera or a cutting edge bells and whistles camera that may still have teething problems. I think there are other cameras which use the same matchbox shape too, might be worth a look.

The handles idea, could work if you don't take passengers very often or just remember to warn them before they get in, so as not to bump them. You can always get the side windows tinted as well for extra stealth.

fiddled around a bit to try and find the best angle. used an old BV and basically stuck it
everywhere in the car while filming.

Personally I think in the middle of the car: it gives the best overall view which is
especially good while parked.

Cos when put too close to the side windows it can't capture the whole side of the car,

And In the back there's too much of an angle which makes the windows look small,
plus the headrest blocks the view.

Last edited:
I am much naked this week, my car is in the shop and will remain there untill friday, my loner car only have 1 camera, and in spite of me often arguing for 1 camera is enuff in most cases i do feel pretty naked.

I have a front and back camera, as the rear camera on my camera system died so I moved the mobius to back. Should feel fully clothed, but I took an SD card on the weekend ... late and night and forget to put in a replacment. Kind of like going to the men's room and not zipping up. I was driving the next day with a beep beep coming from my front dash cam ... I was flying low all day;)

figured out how to install the side cameras now: with magnets (neodymium n42)
see pics attached.

have decided on the Joovuu x and placed order today.

With the magnets the install should be fairly simple, though might have
to ditch the gps cable for a regular one.

I can hook both camera to a BV Magic pro right? (using a splitter)

Attachments

• IMG_6713.JPG
    IMG_6713.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6714.JPG
    IMG_6714.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 43
This is how I have my side cameras installed, using Scosche BlackMagic mounts/plates and the standard Mobius mounts:

I have the rear (trunk + passenger windows) tinted (35%) so it is quite discrete.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice setup.

But I find that when the camera is so close
To the window it's doesn't capture everything that happens close to the car...?

Thanks. It actually does capture a lot (the wide angle C lens helps too). I will post a sample clip shortly.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

These are views of the rear window ; the Mobius cameras are hardly visible:

Right window/cam:

Left window/cam:

Sample clip; parking mode active.

Back