2CH Panorama X2. FullHD + FullHD ( 256Gb ). Sony Exmor CMOS. WDR. GPS. 24/7 Parking Mode Rec.

My DIY with using black electrical tape to cover all "bling-bling"
It's not the most perfect job, just a quick DIY in order to mount into car for so I can make further tests.

I have covered:

- side aluminium frame
- front lens surrounding "logoes / writings "
- lens surrounding orange led ring
- Panorama X2 front logo.

Now it's looks more stealthy than before, however can not be considered as a "stealth-design" dashcam.

I did not cover edge of lens surrounding and rest of glossy body. Those are the parts which are still may reflect light and bring unwanted attention.
In near future ( when I will have more time ), I try to paint full body into black matte.

X2 DIY Tape (1).jpg

X2 DIY Tape (2).jpg

X2 DIY Tape (3).jpg

X2 DIY Tape (4).jpg

X2 DIY Tape (5).jpg

X2 DIY Tape (6).jpg

Last edited:
Nice :) looks like a crappy China cam witch no one would bother to steal, at least not in my part of the world, where thives have iphone 6 and Gucci bags for the stolen goods.

This is how X2 looks mounted in car ( cloudy day. )

Pano X2 InCar (1).jpg

Sunny weather

Pano X2 InCar (2).jpg

Rear camera

Pano X2 InCar (3).jpg

Look from inside of the car.
I wish Video cable MicroUSB plug / connector would be L-shape ( 90 degree ). Then overall "footprint" of rear camera would be even smaller and more stealthy than its now.

Pano X2 InCar (4).jpg

I did not want to mount rear camera on glass ( I dont like any "sticky" things on car windows and try to minimize them if possible ), so I "moved" rear camera mounting solution slightly inside car.
Made some reinforcement of rear brake light cover by using a piece of plastic and mounted rear camera to it.

Pano X2 InCar (5).jpg

This is a result:

Pano X2 InCar (6).jpg

Pano X2 InCar (7).jpg

Pano X2 InCar (8).jpg

acSbd.png

To mount X2 in my car, I have used DIY bracket holder which allows me quickly to mount / dismount dashcamera.
Also can use other DIY holder for slide in / out of X2.

Pano X2 InCar (9).jpg

I was able to mount X2 the way it is fully behind rearview mirror.

Pano X2 InCar (10).jpg

GPS logger antenna is routed to the top left corner of A-pillar.

Pano X2 InCar (11).jpg

Close-up photos of DIY mount holder

Pano X2 InCar (12).jpg

Pano X2 InCar (13).jpg

Pano X2 InCar (14).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Holy cow! I know exactly where this is - in fact he is circling the high rise I used to live in Seoul - Xi building right next to Yongsan Army Base and the Korean War Museum at the Samgakji Metro stop.

Great video - looks suburb! Can't wait to see more sample videos.

Great job concealing the camera Niko, shows it is possible. Very encouraging. If the silver lens ring was covered it would be almost invisible in your pictures looking into the front window. Blends into the mirror nicely. Also, I was surprised by how well it fit behind and was hidden by your rearview mirror inside the vehicle. Exactly what I was hoping to see.

Great job concealing the camera Niko, shows it is possible. Very encouraging. If the silver lens ring was covered it would be almost invisible in your pictures looking into the front window. Blends into the mirror nicely. Also, I was surprised by how well it fit behind and was hidden by your rearview mirror inside the vehicle. Exactly what I was hoping to see.

Thanks. But to be honest, it's all comes to few things: how wide is your car rearview mirror, how high ( low ? ) it's sits, how far ( close ? ) from windshield etc.
At the moment I am using aftermarket ( Gentex-series / stype ) rearview mirror with long mirror arm which has two ball-joint and allow to move mirror in many directions ( axis ).
With original VW stock mirror it would be impossible to hide Pano X2. But yeah, with some DIY it is possible in some cases.

The silver ring, its actually black colour glossy lens surrounding that I did not fully cover with electrical tape, thats why it looks like silver ring and as you pointed, - its attracts attention. I hope in future X2 model will be full black-matte colour without any "bling-bling".

Evening videos:

P.S. Due to YT stupid "music copyright", in some places it removed sound or "special songs ( $ )".

Panorama X2 vs Panorama S Lens FOV

First pics.
Top: Pano X2
Bottom: Pano S

Oano X2 vs S FOV (1).jpg

Second pics.

Top: Pano X2
Bottom: Pano S ( background ) and on top of it I have overlayed ( matched ) X2 FOV, so you can see difference in lens angle.

Pano X2 has narrower Lens FOV, but this brings objects closer, hens slightly better nubmerplates reading.

Oano X2 vs S FOV (2).jpg

Last edited:
Front bulky lens surrounding re-design idea is also what I would be interested in. More like going smoothly from main body flat surface to lens part.
We have to "accept" X2 as is, because this particular model is prototype for Korean market, so some cometic changes may be made before it goes International. Just patience ! ;) . But of course all proposals are welcome.

Below are few of my childish-scribbles :)

First pics is to have same housing like Panorama S / G to fit a CPL filter. Second is if there is no CPL. ( Personally I don't use it, but maybe many would ).

... or even make lens surrounding interchangeable for customers for extra $ to buy as an optional accessory ? ( not practical idea probably )

View attachment 8331

Regarding my earlier post with childish-scribbles which I draw on-the-go about half year ago, I meant for front part of lens surrounding something like last month released New Cowon BCH-1000, ( but of course without yellow ring ).
It's looks like Cowon can read my mind. ;)

COwon.jpg

2732279_1_1409930616.jpg

2732279_1_1409930618.jpg

front camera is out of focus - is a disease

Agree. It need not much, but some little lens focusing. I didn't had much time for that yet. Too much time taken for product photos, installation, DIY etc.
Video wanted to show overall CMOS sensitivity. Will share night videos also soon.
With lens focusing will deal when will get more free time.

Niko,
Maybe this is same as other cams and has been answered already; I noticed that the speed shown in the video screen seems to lag by 2-3 seconds. I mean, I see speed shown in video to turn to 0 only after a couple of seconds after you come to a halt. Is this normal?.
Thanks

Niko,
Maybe this is same as other cams and has been answered already; I noticed that the speed shown in the video screen seems to lag by 2-3 seconds. I mean, I see speed shown in video to turn to 0 only after a couple of seconds after you come to a halt. Is this normal?.
Thanks

I am not sure if 3 sec is normal, but 1 ( max 2 sec ) is normal with many dashcameras GPS loggers.

1. GPS logger antenan was positioned near DVR Rearviewmirror, - it also an autodimming mirror, so its full of electronics, - maybe it affected GPS logger, - dont know.
Now I have moved gps antenna to the corner of A-pillar. Will see how that changes result. Still need time to process new videos.

2. This is prototype beta-test model, so I am sure all needed firmware related changes will be made before it goes into retail.

That sensor seems to be a bit brighter than the old one, that evening footage does remind me of the LS460 so far!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the night stuff over here though. Not sure if we have different street lights over in Europe but dashcams seem better on the streets of Korea and China - probably because it's busier so they can only drive slower!

Enough teasing!!! Eta!!!!!!!!?????????????!?!!!!o_O

Holy cow! I know exactly where this is - in fact he is circling the high rise I used to live in Seoul - Xi building right next to Yongsan Army Base and the Korean War Museum at the Samgakji Metro stop.

Great video - looks suburb! Can't wait to see more sample videos.

I get this same kind of reaction when I watch demo videos shot here in Shenzhen, see lots of familiar sites

Night test.

Sunday ( 05 Oct ) was rainy, so this is maybe not the best available footage ( especially for rear camera ), but still it shows X2 performance in rainy night conditions.

Don't forget, - this is a prototype model with beta-test firmware ( v1.00.10 ). Further firmware adjustments will be available soon.

Front camera

Rear camera

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B X2 0
B X2 9
L X2 2
E X2 2
Joelinnh X2 2
Back