After all my doubts I bought one!... DavidUK's A119 odyssey

TonyM said:
David's issue may have something to do with running stiffer suspension & car body on his Porsche than some other members' cars?
I actually changed my mind and deleted my comment a few seconds after posting it, but it appears to have been preserved on DCT to remain forever... :confused:

@DavidUK hasn't described the noise/rattle to be constant, as far as what's documented here.

I believe it's a combination of this and a not so snug fitting mount.

I actually changed my mind and deleted my comment a few seconds after posting it, but it appears to have been preserved on DCT to remain forever... :confused:

cameras can pick up vibrations from interior trims that you will struggle to hear yourself so there is something in that

Today's "no buzzing" clip, plus lens moved down and to the right a little...

Interesting... I did not try moving the lenses yet to a stronger position - could be a faulty contact with them... I till try. An yes - I have the exact buzzing sounds like you at speed (does not have to be a potholes road)...

The only common aspect is that we both have quite strong less flexible suspensions on our cars.

So something vibrates and generates electrical buzzing inside the camera... I doubt is plastic on plastic sounds...

@DavidUK You will probably test faster than me so (busy at slow speeds this week) - kindly could you move the lenses up or down to max while recording and same road same speed? thus see if it's the lenses position doing it? or facilitateing it

Last edited:
@DavidUK You will probably test faster than me so (busy at slow speeds this week) - kindly could you move the lenses up or down to max while recording and same road same speed? thus see if it's the lenses position doing it? or facilitateing it
Let's not ask David to risk distracting himself whilst driving :eek:

Drive Safely

Let me make it clear. The buzzing happens at speed and stops at low speed or at a halt.

Yesterday I first tested it without making any changes. The buzzing was the same as in the previous clips. So I then made the following two changes...

1/ Putting insulation tape over the three lower buttons at the rear... Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.36.33.png STOPPED the buzzing completely at any speed, as in this clip...

The buzzing IS from the lower buttons, not from any interior trim. I have proven this, above.

2/ The mount appears to be VERY solid and secure but, WITH THE TAPE REMOVED from the buttons, I stuck a strip of 3M grey pad (other side of pad with film left on) to the right and left edge of the rear of the camera and, with difficulty, pushed it on to the screen mount. The buzzing was quieter, as in this clip (from 1:40 to 2:30, on motorway), but it is still there...

So, securing the mount more firmly helps, but the buttons are the root cause.

Last edited:
If it is something internal, I would be checking the super caps. As you see in the photo supplied by @Gibson99 the caps are not glued down. These could easily vibrate and buzz against the chips on the board.

IMG_0107.JPG

Last edited:
He didn't have to, it's all in the videos.

o_O:confused: Damn bro, no offence but what are you smoking? :D

If you do know the root cause, why don't you share it instead of taking a complacent stand and stating that you'd rather keep it to yourself for now.

2/ The mount appears to be VERY solid and secure but, WITH THE TAPE REMOVED from the buttons, I stuck a strip of 3M grey pad (other side of pad with film left on) to the right and left edge of the rear of the camera and, with difficulty, pushed it on to the screen mount. The buzzing was quieter, as in this clip (from 1:40 to 2:30, on motorway), but it is still there...

So, securing the mount more firmly helps, but the buttons are the root cause.

Use an EVA foam pad on the entire surface of the mount instead of the 3M adhesive pad just on the sides, it should get even quieter.

If you're fine with taping the buttons. Problem solved! ;)

@Mozzie - READ my last post - IT IS THE BUTTONS!
I think it is your tyres producing the noise, the buttons just happen to resonate at the same frequency and your suspension isn't filtering out that particular frequency - a combination of factors that in your particular car happens to cause a problem. The same camera is probably fine in almost all other cars.

Are you using the supplied 3M mounting pad? If not it is possible that the "correct" one would filter out that frequency and avoid the problem.

My solution would be to add a little blob of flexible silicone glue between the side of the buttons and the case to stop them rattling, but you would need to open the case to apply it.

Of course you could fit some non-low profile tyres, which would also give you a much nicer ride quality, but that would not be right for a Porsche!

I think it is your tyres producing the noise, the buttons just happen to resonate at the same frequency and your suspension isn't filtering out that particular frequency - a combination of factors that in your particular car happens to cause a problem. The same camera is probably fine in almost all other cars.

Are you using the supplied 3M mounting pad? If not it is possible that the "correct" one would filter out that frequency and avoid the problem.

My solution would be to add a little blob of flexible silicone glue between the side of the buttons and the case to stop them rattling, but you would need to open the case to apply it.

Of course you could fit some non-low profile tyres, which would also give you a much nicer ride quality, but that would not be right for a Porsche!

Hi Nigel,
Following your suggestion I nipped down to my tyre retailer and asked him to test the frequency of the tyres. He said around every 25,000 miles? o_O

As a further test of your low profile tyre theory, I'm going to fit the A119 temporarily to my son's X6 to see if the buzzing happens again...

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 14.45.26.png

;)

Well, I can clearly hear the same plasticky "buzzing" in both of these. Not as loud as in your first video, but it is still there in both of them.

Yes, that's what I'm saying about the lower clip - it still has buzzing.

I just re-watched the top one, and at around 2:30 onwards there is some vibration noise over the poor road surface at that point. This may or may not be the same buzzing noise. The road roar is more noticeable than the vibration noises so it's difficult to tell. I'm not that concerned as I didn't notice it the first time I watched this clip whereas in my 2nd run clip it was very noticeable. And that was over a very smooth road surface.

Still thinking on whether to return it, or just live with it. After all, I'm not going to be watching these clips every evening (well, let hope not for much longer!) and a little background noise will be the least of my problems if I have to use a clip for what it's ultimately designed for.

I've little doubt a replacement would show the same issue once again. Why wouldn't it?

Well, I can clearly hear the same plasticky "buzzing" in both of these. Not as loud as in your first video, but it is still there in both of them.
What are you talking about? There's absolutely no buzzing whatsoever in the 1st video!

But to be honest, David, nor in the 2nd which means the mount padding also filters the vibrations. The problem is that it makes it harder to remove the camera if you plan on doing it often and will tear the padding apart over time.

Try at 2:40 on in the 2nd.

I just re-watched the top one, and at around 2:30 onwards there is some vibration noise over the poor road surface at that point. This may or may not be the same buzzing noise.
Don't worry, it's not the same noise.

On no!! ANOTHER noise!? And in a car, on the road, with it moving!

I must immediately go and oil the whole car.

Porsche... PAH!! ;)

Try at 2:40 on in the 2nd.
All the occasional noises present in both videos have nothing to do with the buzzing you had before. They're most likely electrical noises and usually it's very hard, if not impossible, to determine their origin. Anyway, I think you can live with them. :)

Back